Skip to content
Do you buy guitars ...

Notifications
Clear all

Do you buy guitars (and/or parts) online or only in person?

37 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

When I first started playing guitar 3 or 4 years ago I ran into a guy at work (who has since become a friend and guitar mentor) who opened my eyes to buying guitars and components online. He was modifying guitars and would buy/sell parts and accessories on eBay. He also bought fromthe big online retailers like MF, Sweetwater, Music123, etc...

Well, when I saw what he was doing I was amazed. I mean, as a newbie I totally expected all musicians to purchase their gear after PLAYING the gear. In other words, I had always believed that musicians had to experience the instrument before they purchased it. Then, I go online and on eBay and see this GIGANTIC market of online guitars, amps, and other instruments. I was blown away. To buy a musical instrument sight unseen was totally shocking to me.

I've since grown an appreciation for the online experience - especially given the extreme discounts you can get purchasing used gear directly from owners (as opposed to buying from a reseller or store). I imagine that there is a fairly even split between the number of traditionalists out there (need to try the specific instrument first) and those that go for the lowest price all the time (usually, online) but I figured we'd do a poll to see what kind of buyers we have here on GN. Have at it!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I want to try it first. If that's not possible I won't buy it.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I don't buy gear online. I want to try it first too. I only buy books.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

+1

I'd buy something like a book or computer game, but not a guitar. I want to see and play the one I'm going to take home. There's too much possible variation in the look and tone of the woods, the precision and feel of the neck, etc. for me to ever want to buy sight unseen. I guess it all depends on how fussy you are though, and how good the returns policies usually are in your country. But, for me, the experience of visiting the stores is an enjoyable and important part of the whole deal. I really value being able to looking through the stock and try out anything I like the look of, through a variety of amps etc. Shaving a few bucks off isn't the motivator for me. I'm sure others see it differently though.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I buy online from ebay, MF, Music123, this board and also the Ovation board. I've bought plenty that I love and some that I thought had minor issues that should've been disclosed. Some that just blew me away, a certain Schecter for instance and my Fylde.

I can always put them back on ebay. If I lose a little I consider it the instrument rental fee.

Now if I was spending $3000 for a guitar, I'd play it first.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I would never buy online. Moreover, I won't ask someone to get me a guitar (especially who doesn't play guitar himself). If I have stores like GC in my place, I would like to go in them, try out and buy (or not).

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I'll buy electonics on line, but every guitar is different.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I buy gear online and have rarely had any problems or missed expectations. If buying used gear, I do very careful research on the seller; If I can't verify who they are then I simply avoid them. I also sell gear online frequently and have perfect positive feedback (200+) on ebay; full disclosure is the key. (As Dali can verify, I tend to go overboard pointing out minor flaws ... )

Currently I'm building a Birdsong Cortobass through an online transaction which is the only way to get it done, though I have had the luxury (and joy!) of playing a couple of them. I have no worries whatsoever.

I've posted previously about Craigslist scammers, but that's a separate story I think.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I haven't bought a guitar online but I don't see why not. Even when I bought my guitars I tried out a few different models in the store and then choose one. But I didn't want one that everyone else played so they pulled a brand new one out. I didn't play this one but did a general check to make sure nothing was way out of wack.

I'm of the opinion that most if not all guitars could be corrected if they are off...as far as tone well if it sounds OK to me it's OK, but I don't have the greatest ears but I really question how much a newbie is goinbg to discern the subtle differences in guitar tones anyway.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

luckily i live very near the MF in KC, so i try things out and buy from the outlet

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

MY online purcchasing experience has been good I'd have to say. My first seven wives, which I purcahsed online, worked good for the first few months. Apparently they all had the same defect and after a short time began to malfunction. Some squealy noises started coming from them in a short time. Then the noises got louder and more consisant. So, I don't buy anything online anymore for that reason. :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Like TL, I'm real close to a big music shop. 30 day return on both new and used, so it would have to be a heck of a deal for me to shop online.
I did get a great buy on my Seagull acoustic off craigslist, but made the purchase in person and got to try the guitar.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've bought one guitar on-line, and that was the SPT off Nick. I haven't ever considered buying one off e-bay or anywhere else on-line; there are, like Chris C said, just too many variables.

After reading of Corbin's recent problems with an on-line purchase, I'm even more convinced!

No, if I'm buying a guitar, I want it in my hands, plugged in - if it's electric - and I want to put it through its paces. I want to see how it feels.....I want to hear how it sounds, I want to explore ALL the tone possibilities.....

Can't do that on-line!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I wonder about this myself. I've never bought a guitar online but I have bought books and accessories (even some pedals now too).

Would it matter if it was a reputable store instead of Joe Schmoe on eBay? What about the brand? I've read a lot about the inconsistent quality of Gibson guitars so perhaps with those you would want to actually play it before you buy it. How about a brand that has a good reputation for quality? Would that make a difference?

If you can't buy a guitar before you play how would you get a custom or semi-custom guitar made? You have to buy it first.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you can't buy a guitar before you play how would you get a custom or semi-custom guitar made? You have to buy it first.

Ah, now there you - the consumer - are in the driving seat, and you have the manuacturer over a barrel. If he doesn't follow your specs to the letter, the contract is null and void, or at least open to re-negotiation. As long as it's in writing; as Sam Goldwyn once said, "A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on."

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3