Skip to content
Do you buy guitars ...

Notifications
Clear all

Do you buy guitars (and/or parts) online or only in person?

37 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

If you can't buy a guitar before you play how would you get a custom or semi-custom guitar made? You have to buy it first.

Ah, now there you - the consumer - are in the driving seat, and you have the manufacturer over a barrel. If he doesn't follow your specs to the letter, the contract is null and void, or at least open to re-negotiation. As long as it's in writing; as Sam Goldwyn once said, "A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on."

:D :D :D

Vic

Maybe. I can see three issues in the whole guitar purchase equation - 1) do I like this kind/style/type/model/etc. of guitar; 2) is this particular guitar a quality built instrument; and 3) the contentious personally defined - does this guitar have "mojo".

Item (1) you know before you buy whether it's custom or off the shelf (or at least you think you do). Item (2) is a quality control thing and comes down to the reputation of the manufacturer/luthier. If that reputation is good and they stand behind it (whether that's a custom guitar or an off the shelf guitar) then that doesn't matter either because if there is a problem they will stand behind it. For item (2) it could instead be the reputation of the dealer who is willing to take returns if the guitar isn't quality.

What's left is item (3) - does it have "mojo". I hear lots of people talk about having to play 10 or 20 or 100 guitars to find the ONE guitar with "mojo" or that "talks to their inner soul". If you have to do that then there is no way to buy a guitar online or to have one custom made. No luthier is going to make you 100 so that you can pick 1 or to allow a "no mojo" money back guarantee. Also, no online retailer no matter how generous their return policy will let you order and try 100 of the same instrument.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I've never bought a guitar online but I have had a custom guitar made for me.

In the process of having it built, I had an opportunity to play ones that were built for other people and also demo versions, this was important in selecting the mods that would suit me, then I would plunk down the money and about a year later I would play MY guitar and all adjustments would be made to suit me.

This involves a great deal of trust in the luthier and usually a fair amount of money and time.

The luthier that made my guitar had a really great reputation and in playing his samples I was quite convinced I would have no problems, I haven't had any problems in the twenty five years that I have had this guitar! It even outlasted the luthier, he retired from luthery about ten years ago!

I wouldn't do anything like this again unless I could hold and play a sample of the finished product so I wouldn't do this online. JMHO

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I bought my Squier Standard Tele and both Squier '51s online and was very happy with my purchases. But these were inexpensive guitars to begin with, I wasn't expecting perfection for such a low price. I was actually very surprised with the high quality of Squier guitars, they are excellent for the price.

But more expensive guitars I want to play the guitar and look it over real good. I bought my Fender American Tele and Gibson Faded SG at Guitar Center about 35 miles from me. I spent at least a good hour checking both guitars out and playing them. Even still, my Gibson has two frets that are not completely seated on the bass side at the 15th and 17th frets. As closely as I thought I inspected this guitar I didn't see these frets till after I had the guitar several days. By that time I had set up the guitar and played it many hours, the pickguard was scratched so I couldn't take it back. But it is just cosmetic, no playing issues at all, so I am happy.

I have bought many pedals and PA gear online and have been happy with every purchase.

My Fender Strat and Gibson LP I purchased from friends.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi again,

When I really think about it, the clincher for me isn't a practical issue - it's something quite irrational, that can't really be explained. I just need to fall in love with the guitar. I need to get that feeling of not being able to leave the shop without it. Now I'm sure that there are plenty of traditional arranged marriages that work really well, and some 'mail order bride' weddings that are made in heaven. But, call me a sentimental fool, I need to fall in love through my ears, hands, eyes and whatever that sixth sense is - in person. :D :wink:

As I said before, I can think of many practical reasons why I want a particular individual guitar not just one of that model. Stuff like the colour and woodgrain variation, tone, weight, balance, 'feel' etc. When I bought my last guitar (a pretty cheap Epi SG400) they had quite a few in stock, so I was able to do things like look along the neck and pick the one that had the 'truest' and best set up neck, the nicest grain, etc. Some of that can be changed (I always do my own final setup anyway) and some can't. But the 'fall in love factor' is something that can sidestep all the logic and measurement. :roll: I can be strongly attracted by a photo - but for love I need them to be there! 8)

Cheers

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There IS a downside to buying in person as opposed to buying online, though - you usually come out of the guitar shop having spent at least twice as much as you intended! For instance, you might be heading to one guitar shop which you know has a got a Squier Custom Tele, price £149, in stock, but call in another shop that's on the way - just to browse, of course. That particular shop might just have the most beautiful white Fender Telecaster you've ever seen that grabs you by the eyeballs and won't let go.....price £300+. Then of course, you'll need the new amp and to stock up on strings and end up spending over £650. Then call back the next day because you were so taken with the Tele you clean forgot you needed a sound-hole pick-up for your acoustic, and a microphone and a stand and a couple of harmonicas and a drum machine and end up spending another couple of hundred quid.

That's purely hypothetical though - it could never happen in real life.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

That's purely hypothetical though - it could never happen in real life.

Vic

:lol: :lol:

Nah... course not.... :wink:

I've been thinking about that trip of yours lately... Yesterday we got our annual tax return, and it was a goodie... 8) By long established family tradition Vicki and I split the Tax return and blow it on some rewarding goodies - as a prize for not assaulting the household budget during the rest of the year. You'd never guess this - but she buys clothes and jewelry and I buy guitar stuff.

Now I definitely don't need another guitar, in fact I sold one last week. It was getting embarrassing. I already have far more guitars than talent. But (including what I'd already saved) I now have enough in hand to match that 'theoretical' spree..... :twisted: I simply can't allow myself to go anywhere near a music shop right now or the force fields will suck the money out of my wallet faster than I can blink.

I successfully gave up smoking. I gave up eating more than I needed and I lost weight and kept it off. No worries. But giving up buying guitars is apparently a quantum leap in difficulty. :shock: I'm starting to sweat and get the shakes.... I wonder if I can get patches or something....

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Part of my resistance to eBay gear is not being able to find great deals. I mean, why pay 80-90% of retail (after shipping) when I can get it locally and reduce the wait time and more importantly to me, the risk of being done wrong? (or, can we say, "corbinded")

Applying some basic accounting principals of spreading out losses, if you factor in the losses of not great deals into your overall eBay costs, are you saving that much? (Kind of like how mass-merchants factor in theft or banks factor in loan defaults into costs of doing business)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Part of my resistance to eBay gear is not being able to find great deals. I mean, why pay 80-90% of retail (after shipping) when I can get it locally and reduce the wait time and more importantly to me, the risk of being done wrong? (or, can we say, "corbinded")

Applying some basic accounting principals of spreading out losses, if you factor in the losses of not great deals into your overall eBay costs, are you saving that much? (Kind of like how mass-merchants factor in theft or banks factor in loan defaults into costs of doing business)

Ok so we have a new term for getting ripped off on Ebay or in general online - Corbinded. Usage - 'Hey you know, I got corbinded for 200$ by some stupid guy on Ebay etc...

Nice one, Rparker. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Roy, while I can see what you mean I don't think it is accurate. If you buy items without taking into account shipping, and you don't scrutinize the sellers you can definitely get ripped off, and the perceived value is diminished.

Buying a 2002 Gibson Les Paul at $2000 - not going to be a great deal on ebay and the risk is pretty high.

But for certain things you can't beat it. I mean, where else can you get a like-new Seymour Duncan humbucker for $50? I can go to ebay RIGHT NOW and probably find 5. While I would never buy a hardcase on ebay (the shipping alone wouold be $20), I can build my dream stratocaster for $550 - $650.

A great example is Schecter. Mid-level Schecter guitars now cost $500 - 700 at a guitar store new. You might be able to haggle the price down a little, but for the most part you are going to pay over $500. Right now a Schecter c-1+ is $550. I juts looked at the Schecter c-1+ "sold" list on ebay and they routinely sell for $350. Some went for $250, must went for $350. AND, most came with a hardcase. Add in $35 for shipping and you are looking at a $150 - $175 savings.

Also, there are usually only a handful of used instruments at a local store. I'm not a big fan of paying full price for these things (same with cars) when I can get one 3 months old fro $200 less.

I'll also throw out there that I LOVE getting a deal. I would estimate that half my guitar purchases were based on the "what a deal" factor. Most of the stuff on ebay is the same price as what you would find locally, but 10 - 15% is at a serious discount.

The other thing I like about Internet shopping is the convenience. I have 2 kids under the age of 5 so getting out to a guitar shop is not happening on a regular basis. I can shop at 11pm once everyone has gone to bed. In addition, I have my "guitar money" in a PayPal account. All the money I receive from selling stuff goes into my PayPal account for use online - generally guitar stuff. If I go to a local store I have to pay for it with a credit card or cash and then transfer the money.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Strings and electronics I'll buy on line, guitars never cause each one sounds different. Two guitars same exact brand, same model made on the same day will sound slightly different.
I want to hear those differences and decide which I like best

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Dali is right that you can find incredible deals on all kinds of hardware and related items as well as whole guitars if you know what to look for in a counterfeit.
the problem as i see it with ebay is the uneducated buyer does not know the difference between a counterfeit humbucker and a real one. at a mortar and brick store or a well established online store with a good return policy at least you have peace of mind.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Dali is right that you can find incredible deals on all kinds of hardware and related items as well as whole guitars if you know what to look for in a counterfeit.
the problem as i see it with ebay is the uneducated buyer does not know the difference between a counterfeit humbucker and a real one. at a mortar and brick store or a well established online store with a good return policy at least you have peace of mind.

Agreed.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No luthier is going to make you 100 so that you can pick 1 or to allow a "no mojo" money back guarantee. Also, no online retailer no matter how generous their return policy will let you order and try 100 of the same instrument.

Violin luthiers often allow you to try an instrument for a month or so to see if it's what you're after. If not you can come back and try one of his other instruments.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

What I enjoy about online shopping is that you can get almost any gear you want. When you go to the local music store you only have what they carry. For instance, the Behringer TO800 I love and recommend so much, nobody carries this pedal except a very few online sites. I bought this pedal on EBay.

I am not afraid of sites like Musician's Friend or Music 123. I have purchased many items from them and have gotten good service. You just have to read all the fine print on returns or items damaged in shipping... But they stand by their product and service. So I trust sites like this. But I will usually only shop at well known sites like this, exceptions being very hard to find products like the Behringer pedal I mentioned. But that was only $30, not a big risk.

I am never too worried about a guitar being perfect. I am going to set it up myself anyway. I don't worry about minor cosmetic defects.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I actually do a fair bit of online shopping. Due to retailers having to answer to the CFOs, a higher priority is placed on inventory turns rather than selection, you just can't find local sources anymore for something that isn't in the 1st or 2nd levels of inventory. (Don't believe me? Ask a buyer sometime about that game.)

My problem with eBay are more cynical (sp?) in nature. I've had a few things, all small, that didn't come as expected. Why would I trust the same system with big purchases? That's, to me, is where the big risk is. As far as small things, sure. I'll do it again. It just ain't my first choice.

I'm also not that eBay savy, nor am I willing to put in the time to get to that point. For example, DL used a term "like-new". I can't tell by a picture if one is like new or note, and I'm to skeptical to trust the seller's descriptions as being...heck, give their honesty the benefit of the doubt. What if he THINKS it's like new and it isn't?

DL, I'm really glad you have had great experiences with eBay, and I can certainly understand the allure. If my losses are greater than yours, it is because you are more skilled and patient.

I leave this post with a quick and statement. I DO know for a fact, without a doubt, that eBay WILL INDEED use whatever clout they have against a partner, if the partner does something that is out and out crook-like. I can't go into details, but I was very impressed.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3