Skip to content
Do you buy guitars ...

Notifications
Clear all

Do you buy guitars (and/or parts) online or only in person?

37 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i bought my first electric guitar online from an ebay store and have no regrets. it was $600 at a store here and i got it for $400--no shipping. I took the time to call the place first, though, and found out that there was a real store behind the ebay store. i think they were selling new old stock ao i got a deal.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Well, I haven't bought any guitars in quite some time.
My knowledge of guitars has grown considerably in that time.
Back when I bought guitars, I don't believe there was an on-line option to do so.

Still, I would have to buy a guitar in person.
And it would have to be the one that I tried...
not a similar model or anything.

When I was much younger, I remember hearing stories of people like Eric Clapton going thru hundreds of guitars before
making a purchase.
And if it had 'that sound', cosmetics didn't matter.
At that time, I had no understanding of why someone would do such a thing.

Now I do.

I can say that if I ordered a Strat and ended up getting one as good as my 88, well that would be good.

Though the only way you're gunna find one that 'sings' is to play them in person.

I really wish I could let you all play and experience my 71 Strat.
It's one of those special guitars fit for a guitar god. (Much too good for my simple abilities)
The connection you have with it when it's being played....
The way it vibrates... right thru to your soul.
All the beautiful little nuances in the tone... like the complexity of a fine wine.
The ease of handling it.

As I've said so many times, I am so lucky to have that guitar.
And because of it, I know WHAT to look for when playing a guitar.

If a guitar is straight and has the soul of the 71, that's it.
If that guitar has cosmetic flaws, I wouldn't care.
I'd end up putting them there eventually anyway.

For me - guitars must be purchased in person, hands on.

Anything else, I wouldn't mind so much.... except maybe an amp :P

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I shop a lot with companies like Musician's Friend or Music 123 online. But these are new products. I am not so crazy about EBay, when you do find a good product bidding runs the cost up, not really a bargain. And you gotta be careful who you buy from.

I do like EBay for old discontinued pedals. Occasionally you find a real jewel that nobody else notices. I got an old 80's ProCo Rat for $50. This is the GOOD Rat that gets high prices. And it really is an awesome pedal. You can get old Ibanez Tubescreamers too like the TS5 or TS10. I picked one of these up for $7 and $5 shipping. Gotta know what you are looking for. These are almost as good as the original TS808s.

You can get good deals on EBay because some people do not spell too well. They post good gear, but nobody finds it in a search because it is misspelled. It can really pay to do some searches like this. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Wes -
How did you end up with your Premier amp????

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I did not vote because I will buy online cheap, online after I have tried a model in person, or in person after I have tried the model in the store. I buy parts wherever they are cheapest if I know that is what I really want thru investigation. I don't deny a guitar if it is cheap with potential. A cheap guitar can be had and made into a better guitar with some moderate changes. I don't feel major changes are financially viable to change a cheap guitar into a good guitar. If there is not something good there to begin with, then it is not worth the time!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I never ever ever buy on-line.

Instruments are such personal things I have to play them, usually more than once, before I can decide I should spend money on it.

Of course, I also only own vintage/premier instruments, besides my MIM strat (ok, so 2 guitars .. but still . . . ) It's not easy to drop several thousand dollars without seeing something in person!!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wes -
How did you end up with your Premier amp????

Ken

Ken, I found the '58 Premier Twin 8 at an antiques store. It was just sitting there collecting dust. I asked the owner if it worked and he said yes. There was a Silvertone guitar hanging up, I plugged it in and fired it up. I was amazed at the beautiful tone of this little amp. It is so lightweight, I bet it weighs less than 10 pounds. And it has the most beautiful Tremelo I have ever heard.

The guy wanted $150, but I offered him $125 and got it. For some reason these old Premier amps do no go for a lot of money. I don't understand this, they really sound sweet.

Here is a page about Premier Amps, highly sought by harp players.

http://www.harpamps.com/premier/twin.html

There is a Twin 8 about half the page down. Mine looks much better, almost perfect condition. I think it sat in somebody's attic for 40 years. :D

I don't play it much because it doesn't have a grounded power cord. I can't bring myself to change the amp, it is all original.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3