Clear all

Dream Music

16 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Last night, I had a really bizarre dream. In the middle of it, some guy was in my (dream-fictional) apartment playing my (dream-fictional) guitar (heh, I wish I had a '59 LP). Anyways, I could this lick he played real clear, and it sounded quite distinctive. Upon waking, the dream was rather hazy, but that lick just got lodged in my head all day. Eventually, I had to grab my guitar and figure it out, and it was like I just knew what to play. It wasn't the world's greatest lick(not by a long shot), but I've never had this happen before, so it's a strangely pleasant surprise.

I've read about people dreaming music before (e.g. McCartney with Yesterday) but I've never had it happen to me. At least not as clearly and easy to suss out and play for real as this was. Oddly elating to know that I can do it (now I just need to fgure out how to make myself dream more music).

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Sounds like a cool experience. Can't say it's really ever happened to me, but it would be cool if it did.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member

Wow! I'm so envious that you could remember it and actually play it out later.

I once dreamt that I was PJ Harvey, except I was also myself, and I was standing in a bank queue, very pregnant and playing a gorgeous white gresch. I was just letting rip (beyond anything I am likely to every be capable of) and it felt AMAZING!

(this dream was weird on so many levels)

I'd love to have that feeling again, though (and I'm still searching for the guitar).

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

Oh yes. And I'm so pleased to hear that you picked up the riff that I sent telepathically; I was beginning to wonder if my range was shrinking... :mrgreen:

Seriously though, it's an intriguing feeling to hear dream music, and great if you can actually recall it accurately when you wake up. Often the mood is remembered but the detail can't be nailed. Good that you were able to.

The tricky question is then whether you've actually composed it from scratch or simply repeated something you heard in the past, either exactly or with minor modification. It's even become a sort of litmus test of whether something I've written (even with words) is starting to come together well. The more complete and well done it becomes, the more it starts to sound like I must have subconsciously nicked it from somewhere. :shock:

I guess that's why the notion of a Muse, who whispers creative ideas in your ear has always been popular. Our choir leader, who teaches piano, told me that a popular game when he was a student was "Spot Where Andrew Lloyd Webber Nicked the Theme From" in his various hits. Apparently they reckoned they could trace all his good riffs to a passage somewhere in the classics. Well educated muse I guess... :twisted:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

scrybe, I have those kinds of dreams. not often enough, because they are exciting and the melodies are so simple and beautiful.
the dreams I have are me behind a piano. I play the simplest things fluidly. the melody is gorgeous. ( I don't know how to play piano in my waking life).
when I wake I run to my guitar or keyboard, but as soon as I play the first note (the wrong one) the melody vanishes.
gone forever.
I haven't been able to define the phenomena. I know several others on this board have experienced the same thing.

I can fly in my dreams too. although it has been a long time.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Imnot too bothered I the lick is something I heard elsewhere and subconciously appropriated (tho I will consider that if this keeps happening). What was amazing was just how clear it was and how naturally I figures it out. I pretty much picked up my guitar and played it, like it was something I'd played a million times before. Only, I know it isn't something I've played before as it is totally different to what I'd normally do (based around a lot of double-stops, a kind of harmonised lick). Ans it ws only a couple of bars of music too. Heck, i'm no even too bothered what it sounds like, the exciting thing as the process an knowing that process is (however sporadically) open to me.

I do kinda wish I really had that kewl apartment and 59 LP tho. :roll:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

So are we going to hear this dream lick?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I often have guitar related dreams, not sure I compose any music in them though. My big thing is visiting places I've never been and then when I actually go there it is just like the dream and it creeps me out. Dreams can be powerful things. The human mind is an amazing thing.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

they say paul mcartney dreamt "Yesterday" - only the words were not "yesterday", but scrambled eggs - with the same melody.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I can't remember any riffs or songs coming to me in my dreams, but I recorded an instrumental a year or so ago that was my interpretation of a nightmare I had the night before.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Not sure if this counts or not but I often hear melodies and licks late in the evening. I am an insomniac, so many times I will have had 2 days or so of sleep depravation. Often times I am unable to play my guitar because it is too late at night and I can not disturb the kids. Alas, by day break, the musical thoughts are long gone. Same thing happens with lyrics and melody lines. I can write the lyrics but I never remember the melody to which I have written them.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@countryangel28)

Classical!!!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

they say paul mcartney dreamt "Yesterday" - only the words were not "yesterday", but scrambled eggs - with the same melody.

oh I believe in scrambled eggs...

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Last night, I had a really bizarre dream. In the middle of it, some guy was in my (dream-fictional) apartment playing my (dream-fictional) guitar

I think your dream-self needs to stalk this dream guy. :lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Oh good! I'm not the only one that has cool dreams about playing some song I never heard before. Mine always has a haunting melody that I'm still trying to work out when I can. :D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2