16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

HI Everybody-

Hope things are well in your various necks of the woods. My neck of the wood has changed a little for a few weeks- I've been in Chicago since early June, and will be here until early July.

I'm going insane. I know nobody, and due to all the stuff I had to carry for work, I don't have a guitar with me. :-(

So, anybody know anything cool to do in the windy city? I would love to get out and hear some music. Or meet some musicians. Or anything- I'm needing a music fix.

Also, I really shouldn't buy a guitar. But just in case, any recommendations on geetar stores? I only want a little one...

Happy summer everybody,
Ande

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Taste of Chicago is coming up. It's described on the Explore Chicago site: http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/things_see_do/event_landing/special_events/mose/taste_of_chicago.html

always fun. wish I could be there. from memory:

Chicago Music Exchange: http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/

but my fave is Guitar Works in Evanston, just north of Chicago: http://www.guitarworksltd.com/

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Greg's right that Taste of Chicago is always a fun time to see live music. Most weekends during the summer you'll find free live music somewhere in the city.

Back to Taste - one of our Forum Members, Tom McLaughlin (who goes by “Tommy Guns” on the Forum pages) and his band U-Godda-Wanna is going to be playing at Taste of Chicago this Sunday at noon. They're the opening act on the “Taste Stage.”

We've numerous GN folk in Chicago and the surrounding area, so hopefully you'll get a chance to hook up with people. If I still lived there, I'd be giving you directions to the house! :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Many thanks Guys.

I'll be sure to check out Tom's gig. Saw some decent stuff at blues fest a bit ago. (Good stuff on small stages- my kind of scene.)

And the guitar shop in Evanston gets great reviews from some folks I've met here, so it may be a field trip for the weekend.

Peace,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Is SCTV still up and running? They are a great comedy troup where guys like Chevy Chase and John Candy and Rick Moranis got their start.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

It's "Second City" and the theatre company is still going strong with the Second City main stage and the Second City ETC secondary stage both on Wells Avenue (right by the corner of Wells and North). Two shows nightly and tickets often sell out, especially on weekend, but you can often get lucky and pick up two or so for a show during the week. Definitely worth taking the time for.

The television show, SCTV, was done in Canada (Toronto, I think) and not in Chicago.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@johnryan)

If you'll still be here over the 4th of July weekend I recommend the American Music Festival at Fitzgerald's in Berwyn, on Roosevelt Rd. just west of the city. (About 9 miles west of downtown.)

http://www.fitzgeraldsnightclub.com/AmericanMusicFestival.html

I live nearby and am thinking of stopping in Wednesday and/or Thursday.

John

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Ah, my home town. :D

You could always head over to Rush St.! :twisted: http://www.rushanddivision.com/

And if you don't mind heading up to my new neck of the woods; Summer Fest in Milwaukee starts today. http://www.summerfest.com/flash/ #

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

It's "Second City" and the theatre company is still going strong with the Second City main stage and the Second City ETC secondary stage both on Wells Avenue (right by the corner of Wells and North). Two shows nightly and tickets often sell out, especially on weekend, but you can often get lucky and pick up two or so for a show during the week. Definitely worth taking the time for.

The television show, SCTV, was done in Canada (Toronto, I think) and not in Chicago.

Peace

Yep, I got them confused..I thought the show was called Second City Television, which is where I think the confusion came in.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Peace

Yep, I got them confused..I thought the show was called Second City Television, which is where I think the confusion came in.

The show was indeed called Second City TV. There was and still is a Second City theatre company in Toronto which is where folks like Dan Akroyd, John Candy, Martin Short, and Andrea Martin amongst many others got their start. I used to get rush tickets to the theatre on a semi-regular basis when I lived in Toronto. You might have luck with this in Chicago too.

As for things to do in Chicago, how is the blues bar music scene? Is it still vibrant? I've never really been to Chicago (just passed through O'Hare) so I don't know. Anybody have club suggestions for Ande?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

When I lived in Chicago, there were several blues clubs on Clark Street in the downtown area. In fact, one of the places used to have family friendly shows (on certain days of the week) where children were welcome. I took my children there a couple of times. I think this is the website.

http://www.bluechicago.com/home.html

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Check out Kingston Mines at 2548 N Halstead, Or B.L.U.E.S. at 2519 N Halstead. they have both been going strong for about 30 years.

The current review at Second City, is I believe, Rod Blagoavitch SuperStar.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Ah, my home town. :D

You could always head over to Rush St.! :twisted: http://www.rushanddivision.com/

Ha! Me, too!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Since this one came up again, I just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everybody for the suggestions and help with finding cool places to hear music in Chicago.

The guitar store in Evanston is the bomb, though they didn't quite have what I was looking for.

Safely back in Ecuador,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I thought this was a good thread, and it shows you've got friends here! :D

I hope all of Chicago-land/Chi-town went well, that the city wasn't too blue or windy for 'ya, and it's great to be home now! :lol:

Go get that guitar fix into your blood now, play your heart out, wear your fingers out? :mrgreen:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2