Clear all

Entry Level Keyboard

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Kind of off topic but I might as well ask anyway. I want to buy a new instrument the summer but I'm torn between a mandolin and a keyboard.

I already have an idea of some mandolins to look at but I want some help in the keyboard department. So any piano players, or keyboard players or whoever would like to chip in some advice would be great. What are some decent entry level keyboards I should look at. I don't need like 500 different rhythms, or a bunch of different instruments sounds or anything. Ideally, something simple. I'd actually like to get a piano, but thats not going to happen.

So, any suggestions?

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@alangreen)

Anything with the word Yamaha on it - sure you'll get the rhythms and the voices, but you'll play with them anyway and it doesn't cost any more.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Paul,

I owned a Casio and a Roland some time ago. The Casio had a lot of funny things but the Roland had a better "keyboard" (I mean, what do you feel when press a key). Both had five octaves, the minimum for playing "normal" things. You know, usually two octaves are used for the left hand and two and half or three for the right hand, respectively, for rhythm part or chords and melody (of course, it depends on the type of music).

If you own a computer, consider also a Midi keyboard. You can connect it to your sound card and select voices, rhythm, etc. via software. It could be cheaper than a normal keyboard.

Good luck! :)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

In my opinion, the most important aspect is finding a weighted keyboard that you like. Second is a good piano voice. After that, you're right, it's just bells and whistles. I don't like Yamahas, and do like Korg and Samick, but it's as much of an individual fit as a guitar.

ReplyQuote