Clear all

Epiphone Les Paul VS. Agile Les Paul

33 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I think I've pretty much narrowed my search for a new mid-range newbie guitar down to a Les Paul clone.

I had my heart set on an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top, Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

But I came across something that said Agile guitars were very good.

I was looking at this one

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000natspaltedthin.html

However, I need the "slim taper" neck, because of my small hands, and the AL-3000 seems to be the only one they put the "Gibson 60's" neck on. My luck, at the moment they only have the Spalted Maple in stock. I'll hold out for the Cherry one.

But what I really want to know is this, do any of you have experience with Agile Les Pauls? Do they compare favorably to the Epiphone Les Pauls? They are cheaper, $389 for the Agile AL-3000 vs. $549 for the Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top. Any input on either the Agile or Epiphone would be appreciated!

Agile AL-3100 Cherry Sunburst Slim Neck (2008)
Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Wow. I'm a little surprised that this didn't get any responses. A couple of years ago would have brought people to blows.

Enosmac, do a search on the GN Forums and I bet you find more than enough opinions. I've never played an Agile, so I cannot offer anything of value.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

If you ask people owing an agile (like on AGF), they will call Agile a heaven.

If you ask people owing an epiphone, they will call Epiphone the best.

If you ask me, go try out both.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I have the Epi LP, and am very happy with it. Never played an Agile, (and seeing you can only order them from Rhondo online), that purchase will have to be on faith. I have heard very good things about Agiles though, so I don't think you'd go wrong with one. Good luck with your search! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, my biggest concern is just being able to lay hands on one before purchase, because they are only sold through Rondomusic, hence my post here.

I realize those who own either Agile or Epi will probably be biased towards what they have, only natural... was hoping to hear from some people that have been lucky enough to own/play both. :)

I won't be making my purchase for maybe a month or two, tops. I'm going to Guitar Center tomorrow and play the hell outta all their Epi LPs so I can really know how they play.

Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've been curious about the Ultras with that in the neck acoustic pick-up thingy.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I do believe that the Agiles are comparable to other brands that sell at higher prices. Rondo is the importer and retailer. Cuts out some middlemen. I love mine!

They're NOT the same guitars as Epis, and I doubt they're made in the same Korean factory. Their various models and specs correspond closely to the Korean made guitars that have been sold under the Tokai "Love Rocks" brand. Those are well regarded guitars generally as well (and sold at higher prices.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

I have owned 2 Agiles and 2 Epiphones and in both cases i like my Agiles Better-I currently own an Agile Dauntles lp with emg pickups in it and i love it(almost sold it due to money reasons and was kinda sick over it)the other was an Agile 3000 and i loved that one too but that went the last time i was laid off :evil:
The Epiphones i had were both good - one was a special 2( a bit cheaper quality) and a standard which was nice. :D
But i still think the Agile Felt and sounded better :D

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Also the first time I found Agiles online they still had a shop in NJ-so a friend of mine and I Drove to the shop to play a few and we both left with one. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

I have an AL2000 which is a very nice guitar for the money i paid ($200). The neck is quite chunky but the it's a well made guitar with decent pups . I haven't played Epi LPs much, so no comments there. But if you are willing to spend close to $400 my advice would be, keep an eye open for a used ESP EC400VF. It might cost you a bit more but i love mine. Seymour Duncan JB/59 pickups and a thin U neck. It retails for $629 but you can get blem pieces for much less, if you're open to them. Try one of these guitars at GC.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member

Best advice is to play an Agile before buying an Epi, I played a lot of Epi's when buying my first LP clone. I'm sorry but the Agile 3000 or 3100 blows an Epi standard out of the water (runs for cover). I've had mine for 1 1/2 yrs, only Epi I've played that sounds better and quality wise is the Elitist which is mucho more money.
You don't have to order one on blind faith, Kurt will take it back no questions asked within 30 days and pay the return shipping. Buy a case with the guitar (69.00) to foil the UPS guys and then if you decide to send it back keep the case for the Epi you decide on. Trust me you won't be sending it back for unless it's a cosmetic issue.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Well, you hear almost nothing about them being bad, and most people with epis like theirs. Nothing much has changed except for Rondo's pricing. Didn't they go up a good bit in the past year or two?

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

They've gone up a bit. Probably largely a result of the US dollar's relative weakness, as we've seen with many other imported items. They've also introduced more "upscale" models with somewhat upgraded features. The budget lines have mostly been replaced by their Chinese brands.

ReplyQuote
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I went to my local Guitar Center today, and played 3 Epi LPs. The first one was junk. Buzz in the bridge. The second one was a bit better, but suffered from fret buzz in the first few frets, and also had terribly high action. Probably just a bad setup. The third was very nice. No fret buzz anywhere with pretty low action. Overall, for $549 for the Epi LP plus top, as long as I got a good one, I'd feel I got a decent return for my money.

Of course, I just had to see what $2499 would feel like, so I grabbed a Gibson Les Paul to see how much difference there really is. I've only been playing a couple months or so, but I could immediately tell the difference. OMG that guitar was like butter. I highly doubt it made me play better, but it sure felt that way. If I ever have an extra couple grand lying around, I know what I'll spend it on :)

Just my luck though, Rondomusic has ZERO AL-3000 or AL-3100 in stock, at least with the slim taper neck. I have to go with the slim (60's) neck. 50's is just too fat for me. That's why I want an AL-3000 or AL-3100. Does Kurt at Rondo know whens he gets more stock in? Anyone ever send him an email regarding that? If the Agile is indeed as good as the Epi, I'm down for saving about $200 minus shipping.

Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ask Kurt yourself. He's very nice and helpful.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3