Clear all

Epiphone Les Paul vs Gibson Les Paul

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lion2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Anyone how much different is the Epiphone (Standard) from the Gibson (Standard). All I know is that there is a HUGE difference in price.

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Most EPI's are made in Korea.. and/or overseas.

Gibby's are made in the USA.

That's at least the MAJOR differences.

EPI is the ONLY.. the ONLY company outside Gibson, (which Gibson owns btw) that is authorized to call their guitars "Les Pauls".
And your paying alot for the NAME GIBSON when your buying the lower end ones at least. :roll:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Go to the websites and compare the two. Then go to a dealer and play the two gutars. The Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus I have was around $500. the Gibson is 4 times that price. I have played a couple of Gibsons but not the standard. Call me a dummy and I have only been playing for 3 years but I just cannot jusify the difference. I think a set of identical pickups to those in the Gibby will bring my guitar very close in tone to the Gibby and I already like the playability. The epiphone does lack in coolness without the proper name on the headstock (it does have Gibson on the trussrod cover and that is enough for me)but the fit and finish is equal to the Gibbys I have played .BTW it was made in China.The websites are for the specs etc and show pics of the two guitars. This doen't really answer your question but you really have to play the two to make up your mind.
Robbie
http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElectric/Gibson%20Electric%20Guitars/LesPaul/Standards/Standard/

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPILPSTDPL

http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/standardplus.htm

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I played both when I bought my epi. I found some tone difference, but not a ton. I mean, it took a bit of playing to be able to tell between the two. As far as playability was concerned, I don't remember much at all. It's been over a year since I got the epi.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

If you're to get either I would definetly get it setup. I have both and Epiphone Studio and a Gibson Les Paul Studio and I hated the Epiphone for the longest time until i realized you could have the guitar setup. I don't know if a fret level is standard in setup but some of the frets on my guitar needed leveling and the sides of the frets shaved down a little bit. Both are really good guitars, Good luck on choosing.

ReplyQuote