Clear all

Ever pawned your guitar(s)?

40 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I read a post a while back, someone posted a quote - something along the lines of "you can't play the blues unless you've hocked your guitar..."

Anyone here done that?

My Tele's been in the pawn shop for a while - and the SPT acoustic's been in for a few weeks, too. Hell, what else can I do? Got to pay the bills - and the guitars are my only assets that are worth more than a couple of quid.

But.......I'm promising myself, this is the last time, EVER! Don't care if they haul me off to jail - I will never, ever give my guitars up again for the sake of a few quid. They can send the bailiffs - I don't care, I'll get rid of 'em somehow - I just know, those guitars have been away too long, and they're never leaving my side again!

Oh, I really can't wait for morning - straight off to the shop to get 'em out!

Anyone else had to pawn their guitars?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Good luck tomorrow Vic! I hope this will be your last time.

No, I haven't pawned or hocked, but I've consigned or sold instead. :(

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I had a beautiful MIA sunburst Fender Strat with a maple neck along with a Roland Jazz Chorus amp, both purchased brand new that I had to pawn in the early 90's when I was between jobs. Never had the money to get them back. I still miss them. :cry:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

I haven't pawned, but had to sell quite a bit online last year to pay bills. I also don't think I'll ever get back to having equipment that nice.

Good luck Vic. I hope you can keep your promise to yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nope!

You're alone above the street somewhere
Wondering how you'll ever count out there

You can walk, you can talk, you can fight
But inside you've got something to write
In your hand you hold your only friend
Never spend your guitar or your pen

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

not yet....I hope never to have to.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

never had to. it would feel like cutting off a limb.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Have only sold one guitar. Not had to use pawn shops yet. Hopefully never have to. Did I read correctly? You're getting yours out in the morning?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

They Should be out by now then :mrgreen:

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I've pawned several of mine. But they never stayed in for more than 2 weeks. I get my Social Security disability on the 3rd of every month, so I tried never to pawn them until the last 2 weeks of the month knowing that they would come out on the 3rd of the next month.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

YEP!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Can't stop - busy getting re-acquainted, then off round to a mate's for a jam session!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Woo Hoo!!!! :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Fortunately I never had to do it and I never sold a guitar. However, I sold an old computer to a colleage at work and I felt sad many days. It was an old PC with a green phosphor monitor. And I also sold my first computer, really I gave it in the store when I purchased the second. The rest of computers and all my guitars are at home.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Now I have sold and traded many a guitar, but not cause I needed money. I have traded ones I didn't want any more to get ones I did and the ones I have sold have been to friends at bargain prices cause I wanted them to have them. And yes, I have given a few away too. :wink: Please try not to do it again Vic, I felt your pain!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

YEP!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Can't stop - busy getting re-acquainted, then off round to a mate's for a jam session!

Vic

This is more touching than The Notebook, or SLumdog Millionaire *sniff sniff*

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3