Notifications
Clear all

Ever pawned your guitar(s)?

40 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

glad you have them back vic, hope you enjoy 'em this weekend!!

have a good 'un.
AL

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Al! I had a good time tonight - first time I've jammed with my old mate Stu for a while, and the first time I've got to play my Tele since, umm, about the end of April....like being re-united with an old flame, but in a GOOD way! We jammed for a couple of hours, and I have to say, my fingers are a bit sore - I've only had an old beater guitar to play on the last few weeks or so, and it's been a case of a couple of songs and chuck it to one side - and I was a bit (be honest, Vic, A LOT!) sloppy - timing was off, playing wrong chords, just lots and lots of little mistakes....but enough there to give me a kick up the derriere and make me want to practise. About the only things that went OK were Stay With Me (I know that song so well, I can almost play it in my sleep!) Cindy Incidentally (I stuck to rhythm, let Stu do the solos) and a long 12-bar jam in A where I stuck mostly to rhythm, playing a blues shuffle....A5, A6, A7, A6 etc etc....

I think Dogbite nailed it when he said it's something like missing a limb - without the Tele, I didn't feel like practising, I felt like my left arm's raison d'etre was gone....but tonight, with the Tele back in my hands, I realised why I love playing so much, sloppiness and rustiness notwithstanding. I reckon a couple of weeks solid practising - about 6-8 hours a day, till my callouses are hard again - and I'll be back to normal, and able to listen to myself without wincing.

Oh and yeah - I even got to write a song tonight! Nothing special, just a quickish 12-bar blues - but hey, I haven't had much incentive to write lately, I think I've only written two songs in the last three months or so! Might just record it in the AM - if my fingers aren't too stiff!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

They Should be out by now then :mrgreen:

YEP!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Can't stop - busy getting re-acquainted, then off round to a mate's for a jam session!

Vic

This is more touching than The Notebook, or SLumdog Millionaire *sniff sniff*

Good for you Vic! :D (and they never heard from Vic again...) :lol:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Good for you Vic! (and they never heard from Vic again...)

Wanna bet?

Don't bet against me. I'm ready to rock'n'roll, and once the callouses are hard again, and the fingers stop bleeding, hell, I'm gonna make some real rock'n'roll NOISE! Especially looking forward to the next time the neighbours start playing loud music late at night/early in the morning - I bet my 30W amp can drown out their stereo! OH YES!

(Oh and thanks, Dan! Time I checked out jams and collabs again - not much point when you haven't got a decent guitar to play on but I'M BACK!)

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I'm really happy for you that you were able to get it back. May you never have to endure the separation again. I played my Sq Tele in your honor this afternoon. I have not played it much at all since the beginning of June. Mine does not like really low volumes for some reason. It was still a little much, but better. I played some Bob Seeger, Pink Floyd and quite a bit of time on Dead Flowers. It's a great guitar to just let 'er rip.....even with me at the controls. :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm really happy for you that you were able to get it back. May you never have to endure the separation again. I played my Sq Tele in your honor this afternoon.

LOL, thanks a lot, Roy! Man, I wish you could get your hearing problems sorted out - every time I think how crappy life's getting, I always think, there's someone worse off out there. And with all the problems you've had over the last few years, I feel my problems are pretty trivial - even though I've got this horrible ear infection that won't go away till it's syringed next week. I can live with having warm olive oil poured into my ear four times a day - 'cos I know it's going to get better when the wax has softened and it'll be easier to get out.

I can live with going up to the local NHS (National Health Service) clinic next week, it's about a 10 minute walk - and probably an hour's wait, and about 10 minute's worth of discomfort after that when somone who doesn't give a you-know-what pours freezing cold water in my ear - 'cos I know it'll be better when I walk out of that clinic.

Then the antibiotics'll start working and the infection'll disappear - that's the way it's supposed to go, right? I hope so... I'd really like to be able to hear something out of my right ear next week.

But like I said, trivial - easily fixed - I'm just happy to be able to play guitar. End of the day, that's all I really care about these days....anything gets in my way, I'll just brush it aside. Or punch it out the way - getting testy in my old age!

And the left ear's still working OK.....!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Then the antibiotics'll start working and the infection'll disappear - that's the way it's supposed to go, right? I hope so... I'd really like to be able to hear something out of my right ear next week.

Antibiotics did the job for many, many years. Too good to last, though. Oh well. Things could be far worse. Imagine if I hadn't stayed on top of this for years? Yikes! Good luck on that. Stay on top of it and you'll be aright. Mine is, um, quite deformed, so there was only so much they could do. I'm starting to be able to regulate the pressure in it a little bit better. Hoping for further improvement. But I can tell you empirically, that it can go from an ear problem to a mastoid problem to a nerve problem to a bone problem. Kudos to you for getting it taken care of. :D
Man, I wish you could get your hearing problems sorted out - every time I think how crappy life's getting, I always think, there's someone worse off out there. And with all the problems you've had over the last few years, I feel my problems are pretty trivial
Nah, everyone's got to deal with something. No-one's probs are trivial. There are tons of folks in the world who have REAL problems compared to mine. Heck, I'm well fed, housed, my adolesent son still likes me as does my wife of 20+ years. I'm not the type of person who picks up a pile of dog-turn and claim that it smells like honey-dew melons and birthday cake, but I've got so much good in my life that I can't let a bum left side of my head get in the way of happiness. I'm pulling an Ivan Frankyl on this whole thing. Yeah, I can get down for an hour or two sometimes, but I get right back up.

Last weekend I was hanging with my wife. That new crap the pain clinic tried to use on me (more than doubling the narc level with no pain relief at all...worse than what I was on) had me in very rough shape. Cold sweats and shakes, fever, just not feeling well at all. Couldn't even play guitar. I had my wife next to me on the couch, happy dogs stinking up the other one, son in the house and still talking to us despite adolesence, etc. I kind of took note about how lucky a man I was to have so much.

I think it was an old New England poet or short story author who wrote something to the effect of "true wealth and happiness is only found when it can be realized or derived from your surroundings." Sounds like something confuscious would say. Point is, you got to get you favorite guitar and spend the evening jamming out with an old friend and it was truly a magnificent time. You sir, are a wealthy man. 8)

Well, the thuderstorm just passed and my ear should stop screeching and throbbing as a result it pretty soon and I have more than done my share of rambling. Time to hit the bed.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

+1 :D

I'm absolutely stoked that Vic's getting his guitars back. I've been wondering about them for the last week or two, but felt it would be tactless to ask how it was going. Terrific news.

No, I've never pawned anything yet. although I've been so broke that I slept on a bed frame with no mattress for a while. Geez, that was an age ago now...

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

+1 :D

I'm absolutely stoked that Vic's getting his guitars back. I've been wondering about them for the last week or two, but felt it would be tactless to ask how it was going. Terrific news.

No, I've never pawned anything yet. although I've been so broke that I slept on a bed frame with no mattress for a while. Geez, that was an age ago now...

Cheers,

Chris

WOW I think this is my first +1 :D

But anyways thats gotta be horrible can't imagine the uncertainty Will they be there when I get there ? * dun dun dun *

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Never-ever pawned a musical instrument. I'd rather pawn my TV set, DVD player, or just about anything else.

It would be like pawning a body part to me.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

It would be like pawning a body part to me.

Think I'd rather pawn a body part....

Hey guys, I got a partially used kidney going spare if anyone wants to rent it out for 30 bucks a week. I got a bass to save for....

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Not half as happy as I am! I should have posted updates I suppose, but it's a bit embarrassing to admit you're totally skint and can't afford to pay the bills - but I did a deal with a pension firm a couple of years back (which is how I came to buy the Tele in the first place!) which gives me a decent bit of cash a couple of times a year.....so I knew I'd be able to get them out.

Jamming last night, fingers were sore - been practising on and off all day (unplugged while enjoying the cricket!) and they're stilll a bit tender - but hey, no pain, no gain, right? I'm off round to Stu's again tonight - jamming again. That's Sunday night, it's 12.20 am here. I'm ...sort of looking forward to it, but dreading it at the same time - if the fingers are still sore, it's not going to be much fun. Then again - I can always play slide!

Stu's kind of my mentor - he looked after me when I first started going to the acoustic jams in a local pub a few years back. He was a much, much better guitarist than me then - I've managed to narrow the gap a bit, but every now and then he'll come up with something that's beyond me. Thing is, we have VERY similar tastes in music - we like a lot of oldies, stuff like Rod Stewart's early rockers (Stay With me, Cindy, Pool Hall Richard) and the Clash, T.Rex, Stones - first thing we ever jammed to was Wild Horses, I played rhythm, Stu played slide.

The one thing we disagree about is, I can't get him to use any distortion - he likes to play clean. Never, ever cranks it up - even on a song like "Should I Stay Or Should I Go"..... Even on "Stay With Me," I'm cranked to the max - rectifier setting on the cube, gain on about 7/10 - and he's still playing clean! I think Dan T watched a video of us and said he sounded a bit "plinky" - or something like that. Might have been Corbind, though - I'd have to trawl back through a fair few pages to be sure.

I'm going to make it my life's mission to get him to use the distortion channel on his Marshall amp!

He's a good lad though - always has a can of Carlsberg in the fridge for me!

And I am looking forward to jamming again tonight......just got to get the bugger to rock out a little more!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

1) anybody who has a can of beer waiting in the fridge for you has to be a great guy
2) at the close of play today vic, i am not enjoying the cricket. by this time tomorrow - ill have my acoustic out and i'll be playing the blues like never before!!!
we cant loose - can we?????
3) glad to hear your hammering the guitar again - im sure it feels great to have em back.
4) we are playing in a music club in congelton this weekend - is that near you (im not sure exactly where newton le willows is)?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Congleton? Different county, I think! That's in Cheshire, as far as I'm aware.

Newton-le-Willows is half-way between Liverpool and Manchester, on the main railway line - surrounded by St Helens, Warrington, Wigan, Bolton and Leigh - Rugby League and Football territory! Historically, it was part of Lancashire - now we're classed as Merseyside, though we're bang on the border of Merseyside and Greater Manchester...even though we've got a Cheshire postcode!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton-le-Willows

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

i see - i have family in warrington (great sankey).
and - yes, after checking with the drummer who books the gigs, congelton is in cheshire - so we are miles away (why we have a gig 50 miles away i have no idea)!!!!
i think i need to learn a little local geography :lol:

anyway, lets hope the bowlers can do it for us tomorrow!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3