Clear all

everyone knows there are no lyrics in surf music

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

so i moved to the beach and got a longboard and have been jammin w/ some older surfer dudes after hangin 10. Its really fun playing this style of music and since i'm not the best singer, a simple "HU" and "HAAAAAAAA" suffice. Here are some of the songs I'm working on any other ones you guys can think of along the same style would be awesome. the hot rod deluxe reverb really creates a great tone for these:

Miserlou ~ Dick Dale
Rumble ~ Link Wray
Caravan ~ the Ventures
of course Pipeline, Wipeout and secret agent man

any others?

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

(@davidhodge)

Just about anything by the Ventures is fun to play and their material runs the range of playing levels. Walk Don't Run is pretty easy while their version of Rebel Rouser (originally by Duane Eddy) has a lot of wild riffs and phrases and is very challenging.

There are quite a number of books of Surf Music, most of which are very good tab transcriptions.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There are a lot of instrumentals out there, that aren't surf, but come close, which may be of interest to you. There is a very good site here, which not only gives you tabs, but also a backing track and a full track from the site owner, so you know how it's supposed to sound.
There is a surf music ring on the internet, but there's not a lot of tab.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@jmb-d)
Estimable Member

Miserlou ~ Richard Dale

Richard?! Hrm...

I've had the pleasure of seeing Dick Dale twice in a very small (~200 people) venue (Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis, Maryland). Made sure to have ear protection, as the man plays L*O*U*D -- IIRC, his amp is a custom 2x15 Fender model.

Very entertaining, BTW. His repertoire is quite varied, from all-out pounding numbers like Miserlou to contemplative fingerstyle ballads on which he sings -- quite passably. And by gum, I hope that I've got half his energy when I'm nearly 70!

Ah... I see the problem! Apparently the BB software is interpreting D-i-c-k as a naughty word and replacing it with Richard. Verrrry interesting... but stupid.

In walking, just walk. In sitting, just sit. Above all, don't wobble.
-- Yun-Men

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Walk Dont Run is fun! I cant touch Rebel Rouser tho'. I love the Ventures music, something about reverb that makes me smile.

Greybeard thanks for the link, love the sleepwalk backing track, found the Santos and Johnny record in my grandpas attic, wish I could find a lapsteel up there....I stumbled some great instrumental guitar music while searching for surf rock. Tommy Emmanuel, isnt surf rock, more classical style, but really great stuff, hows come you guys hadnt told me of him yet! 8)

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote