What makes you...........

18 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

........... crave the feeling of that neck in the palm of your hand...... and the true power that lies beneath the mere touch....... or violent stroke of your strumming hand?

Yeah, that about sums it up.

(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Hearing a killer riff in a song.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

For me, it's being able to express myself, particularly when I'm feeling a bit down.

There's something about the feel of the guitar, and the sweet tones from either my acoustic or electric.

Then again, that's why they call it The Blues.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Listening to a song that moves me and thinking I want to be able to play like that and be able to inspire that feeling in others.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

For me - its all of the above.....

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I like being a song writer more then anything. Creating progressions, riffs, lyrics, and so on. Theres a great feeling involved with that.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I have no idea what 'drives' me to write/play music. It's kinda like paying the toilet a visit: no idea what makes me do it every time but I've never regretted it. So far.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Not being able to play for a month with my hurt shoulder did it. I finally had to pick up the guitar. It was in me , and it had to come out.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@azertyuiop201)
Trusted Member

music is divine, it just makes you want to pick up the guitar...watching some concert dvds from way back just makes me want to play, neil young & crazy horse's live rust dvd does this everytime.

the main thing that keeps me away from the guitar is listening to music itself.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I have no idea what 'drives' me to write/play music. It's kinda like paying the toilet a visit: no idea what makes me do it every time but I've never regretted it. So far.

very true. :lol:

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

For me, it's a certain unpredictable, undeniable mood that hits me without warning. I am suddenly, inexorably driven to pick up a guitar or open the piano lid and start playing, regardless of what else needs doing.

It's best of all when no one else is around and I can un-self-consciously play (or play around) to my heart's content.

I believe the vibrations of a musical instrument are physically, mentally and emotionally therapeutic, and maybe that strong urge to play is my brain and body telling me that I need some "inner me" time.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Seeing a great concert will make me want to play even more. After I saw the Who I couldn't put down the guitar...Still havn't a year later ;)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Maybe you need to search deeper inside you that what makes you feel being involved with music and playing guitar.

For me , its the ability to enjoy the power of music.The beautiful voice of the guitar and the emotions that come along when i am playing it , or any other instrument.Same with singing.The feeling of loneliness is gone , when the music starts playing.Its almost like an invisible entertainer.

Regarding the toilet , you need to go there because you have to get toxins out of your body and because your bladder can't hold it anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Maybe you need to search deeper inside you that what makes you feel being involved with music and playing guitar.

I don't see the point. I spend my time plucking some wires. For some sick reason my brain likes that. Fine, I've accepted it. I don't see the point in coming up with lengthy theories about emotion drives and cosmic energy forces. But that's just me, others don't like to drown their chips in mayonaisse like I do.

Maybe an interesting questions: those who know the answer to the topic-question: have you always known it? If not, how did you finf out, and did it increase your motivation?

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I guess I have to agree with Arjen on this one...I'm not all that cerebral about why I play (or attempt to play).

I do it cuz it's cool and something I enjoy...not really much more...I don't find any special bond to any of my instruments...don't get me wrong I like them but it wouldn't be the end of the world to have to replace them...it's just a bunch of wood and metal and paint.

Does that make me less of a musician? I ask tht because I've often thought about that and wondered if my lack of having this cerrebral connection makes me less of a musician...should I be having these feelings?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2