Clear all

Fake reviews?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think that is a real review from a real player. I always look at the type of music the person plays. This guy says Rock, Punk, and Indie. So most likely a young person with a very aggressive attitude. You might see another reviewer who plays religious or Country music, you will usually see a little different language from reviewers like this.

But not always. :D

That guy didn't say he had 800 watts, he said he had a JCM800, one of the most famous amps Marshall has ever made. Lots of great musicians play through this particular amp. Many consider it the best Marshall amp of all time.

And he probably plays it through a Marshall 4 X 12 cab. Awesome. :twisted:

So, he was saying this guitar sounds great through his Marshall stack, but it also sounds great through a small combo amp like the Fender Blues Jr.

And he is correct, you never know when a guitar or amp maker will discontinue a product. Happens all the time.

And money comes and goes, sometimes you have a lot, sometimes you don't. I made more money back in the 80s when I was an Insurance Agent than I do today, 25 years later. Loved the money, hated the job.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Oh, I agree that many reviews are fake, and there's no sure-fire method for knowing which ones are legit and which are not.

And fake reviews are not always written by teens. Sometimes the company itself that makes a product will post glowing reviews of their new product to get people to buy. And sadly, some companies will post horrible reviews of their competitors products. You can usually spot these, they often go something like this:

This Behringer mixer is the most horrible piece of junk I've ever bought. Right out of the box I found 3 sliders that didn't work. The sound was muddy, absolutely horrendous. Trust me, save your money and buy a Brand X!

You can find lots of reviews like that. The giveaway is when they name the great product you should buy. :roll:

Not saying every review like this was written by a company feeling the crunch from a competitor, but I assure you, some are. :wink:

When I read reviews I read as many as possible. I tend to ignore the extremes (best ever, worst ever) and go with the overall view.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Reviews are nearly useless. There are far too many people using this as a means to validate their purchasing decision. Still, you can pluck some information from them. It's just tricky. For example, if you read 20 reviews and 5 of them somehow elude to something (say mysterious noise X), then there might be a bad batch or something.

Also, some might not like the distortion of an amp you're looking for. Dig deeper. What kind of music? If you're playing punk and your relying on someone's opinion about distortion who plays Jazz, it's your own damned fault for buying the wrong amp.

Other things. You might read, "I don't like this sound because it sounds bright and jangly". Think for yourself. Hey, maybe you like bright and jangly. This is now a positive thing.

There's always someone who claims that this is the best guitar they've ever played, and someone who thinks it should be used as nothing more than a boat oar. Somewhere in the middle lays the truth.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Reviews are nearly useless.

Not always. They CAN save you from buying a worthless product as well.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I read reviews and also hear YouTube videos. I know, it is not the best way to hear an amp, a guitar or a pedal but you can get an approximate idea. It will not sound in that way because there are not your fingers and, at least in my case, you are using small computer speakers.

I tend to do as Wes, I read and hear as many reviews as possible, in several places. When I think something could like me, I go to a store for trying it. And I never use the numeric evaluations, I read the comments and I also read type of music of the player and also his/her experience.

Edit: BTW, I tried the Les Paul version of that guitar and I didn't like it.

ReplyQuote