Notifications
Clear all

famous players

18 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@flashover146)
Topic starter  

who do you feel are the best players of all time? kill me now cause i can only think of a few players period great or otherwise: hendrix, satriani, clapton, young.
just curious as to who i should listen to while im learning.

can't sing or dance, may as well learn to play

(@guitar_man_910)
Eminent Member

Let us not forget about Jimmy Page. Eddie Van Halen is another. Slash is a great player. Many others also exist.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Just to add on a few names: Pass, Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) , BB King, Keith Richards (the stones) , Pete Townshend (the who), Stevie Ray Vaughn...

check out some of thos guys.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@flashover146)
Topic starter  

now see all those names are ringing bells keep em comin'

can't sing or dance, may as well learn to play

ReplyQuote
 TimL
(@timl)
Eminent Member

now see all those names are ringing bells keep em comin'
Carlos Santana, David Gilmour, Robin Trower, Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson, Jimmy Vaughan, Robert Cray, B.B. King, Albert King, Freddie King, Johnny Copeland, Gary Moore, Steve Cropper, Joe Walsh...which reminds me, I need to go watch the Crossroads DVD again now, thanks. Joe Walsh is pretty far out there, but he did put on a great show at Crossroads.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Besides the aforementioned players, ppl speak highly of Wes Montegomery.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@abeidson)
Trusted Member

Don't forget Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads and Ywngie Malmsteem (sp?)

I wanna Rock N Roll all night... Ahh who am I kidding I'll be in bed at 9 pm....

ReplyQuote
(@dwagle)

just curious as to who i should listen to while im learning.

Listen to as many people from as many genre's as you can.

The list is really pretty long.

Start with the historically important players: Robert Johnson, Charlie Christian, Les Paul, Jimi Hendrix, Andres Segovia.

From there add a few greats from your particular genre.

Once you have a list of 10 or so really good players from your genre, start spreading out to other types of music.

Try to find guys who are "between the styles" type players. You can learn alot about developing your own sound by listening to them. By this, I mean guys like Link Wray, a guy who basically defined punk guitar playing 20 years before punk. Another example of this type of player would be Steve Cropper, he plays soul, jazz, blues, and rock with equal skill and blends them into his own way of approaching music.

Keep branching out, listen to guys on the extreme edges of what you even consider to be music, and figure out what makes what they're doing work.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Jeff Beck, Robert Randolph, Brian May, Tony Iomi...

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Let's not forget Duane Allman, don't know if people said Muddy Waters, and Kirk Hammett i guess

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Slash, Kirk Hammet, Zakk Wylde, and rest his soul, Dimebag Darrel Abbot

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Simon Neil, Dallas Green, Paul from yourcodenameis:milo.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

The Edge

If you want to get into more folky styles, Ani DiFranco's guitar work is pretty interesting and melodic.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Chet Atkins, Carter Stanley, Michael Hedges, Doyle Dykes, Tony Rice, Doc Watson, Clarence White, Norman Blake, Steve Kaufman. For you blues fans Reverend Gary Davis, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Blind Blake, John Lee Hooker, Big Bill Broonzy, Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Lemon Jefferson. For the Classically inclined Christopher Parkening. None of these in any particular order with the exception of Carter Stanley who's my favorite, God rest his soul.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Jerry Garcia, Jorma Kaukonen, Steve Howe, David Gilmour, Steve Hackett, Dickie Betts, Robert Fripp, Steve Kimock, Al Dimeola, John McGloughlin...

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2