Clear all

A new low....

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I thought I'd seen it all, but after tonight, music has a new all-time low reference point.....

William Shatner "singing" Lucy in the Sky? Tiny Tim doing "Tiptoe through the tulips? Forget it! Pick the worst musical moment you can think of, multiply it by 1000 and it still doesn't come close to the abomination I witnessed tonight.....

There's a show over here in England called "Stars in their Eyes" where members of the public try to imitate their heroes and heroines....there was a "celebrity" edition tonight, and the sight of Jerry Springer dressed as Vegas-era Elvis and butchering "I can't help falling in love with you" is not one I'll forget for a long, long time!!!!

Words cannot begin to describe how execrable his performance...and I use the word in the loosest possible sense! ...was, so I won't even bother to try...suffice to say he sounded about as much like Elvis as Dolly Parton looks like him..... if anyone has every witnessed a worse moment in the history of music, I'd love to know what it is...

He said he does this impression for friends....he has friends? He won't have if he keeps inflicting that on them!!!!!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Worse than Shatner's Lucy in the Sky?

That's pretty bad.

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Worse than Yoko?

I've heard Shatner before and almost tossed my cookies but, I think Yoko would put old William to shame.

Either way Vic, sorry you had to go through that horrible experience.

Seams like you hit a rough patch. Hopefully 2005 will start to turn around for you.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hey, Yoko's all right. "Walking on Thin Ice" was at the top of the dance charts last year. I'd rather listen to Yoko than Britney or J. Lo any day.

Shatner, however, is another story.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

At least with Yoko you can write it off as "avant-garde".... although if side 2 of "Live Peace in Toronto" was on my stereo, I'd rather gnaw my own arms off at the elbows than press "play".....

I'm telling you, Springer was so dire he actually made Shatner look talented....although his wig was better than some of Shatner's....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Something's just occured to me.....how the hell do you dance to "Walking on thin ice?"

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Heard some stuff of Shatner's recent album, and it didn;t sound all that bad to me. Was his earlier stuff really far worse or is my taste just messed up?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Arjen, if you've never heard Shatner's version of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" you are indeed blessed!!!!

BTW, Amsterdam was great....really enjoyed the weekend, apart from missing out on the Fogerty gig....hotel was great (right on Dam Square, across from the Royal Palace)....there was a fun-fair in the square all weekend, the weather was OK....had a real good time!!!!

Tell you one thing though....everything was very expensive compared to England....we went waaaaaaaaaaayover budget, but hell, we had a great time....definitely one to remember!!!! If you ever get over here, you'll be amazed at how cheap things are....!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Great to hear it was all cool (tickets being overbooked is a bloody disgrace, but that's something entire different). Amsterdam really is amazingly expensive, when go to less-touristic parts of Holland (for example, Groningen* ;)) you'll find everything to be much cheaper.

*Hey, come to think about it, BB King's Final World Tour actually starts at Groningen, 23/06/2005. If anyone feels like flying over, we might actually have a tiny airport somewhere around here... :P

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Heard some stuff of Shatner's recent album, and it didn;t sound all that bad to me. Was his earlier stuff really far worse or is my taste just messed up?
Someone posted a link a loooooong time ago to a bunch celebraties doing covers. Schatner, Yoko, Clint Eastwood and many others were in there and it was a riot.

Anyway, Schatner didn't acually sing, it was more like talking but with music in the back-round. That's the only way I can describe it other than he sounded like he was doing another bad commercial.

I wonder if the link is still around?

ReplyQuote
(@villanovajunction)
Eminent Member

Shatner had this weird talking / acting thing going on when he recorded. Here's the legend himself with his "interpretation" of rocketman:

46mb: http://66.135.38.113/wasted/videos/rocketman.mpg

and here's an index of some of his songs:
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~bolsh/weird_music/

I swear he has some sort of breakdown at the end of Mr Tambourine Man...

" MR TAMBOURIIIINE MAAAAAAAAHNNNNN...." :shock:

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." Jimi Hendrix.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I thought Shatner's stuff was meant to be comedy?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I thought Shatner's stuff was meant to be comedy?

Yeah, I think one can only enjoy Shattner's old stuff for its camp value. Mr. Tamourine Man stands right beside L.S.D. in terms of killer comedic value. Given his recent work on TV shows, it's clear Shattner knows his rep and is happy to do self parody. And he's such a well known anti-icon, he can excel at this. OTOH, his newer musical stuff stands alone as being of a more serious nature.

Jerry Springer -- well whaddya expect? His shows have always been made to appeal to the trashy crowd -- and Eurotrash ain't got nothing on the Ameritrash Jerry digs up. :roll:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Hey, Yoko's all right. "Walking on Thin Ice" was at the top of the dance charts last year. I'd rather listen to Yoko than Britney or J. Lo any day.

Shatner, however, is another story.

That may be true . but I'd rather look at Britney or J.Lo than listen to any of them any day . :wink:

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@phingerboard)
Trusted Member

hahaha Mr. Tambourine Man was freakin' hilarious.

Best Guitar Sites | Guitar Players Lick Better

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2