Favorite Non-Big Name Tube Amp Brands

18 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
10.5 K Views
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That was the steal of the century, then. $250 for a vintage 2X12 tube amp? Probably only way you got close to that price was because of the lack of big name.

Re Tweeds: I'm all about my fender amp. I've got a BDRI in the arsenal. It was the tone I was looking for and it wasn't nearly as expensive as it is now. I got it right there on the spot after several weeks of looking around at different amps. It was the first time I had heard one.

I can get much grittier and dirtier on my Jet City 20 and be in my comfort level volume-wise. Any more juice and i gotta go digital. While good and much improved over previous iterations, I still like the sound I get from the real thing. The difference is getting closer, though, and when you start recording, it kind of becomes really difficult to tell the difference. I've seen some digital mimicking of tube amps and comparison videos on You Tube that were incredible.

I'm gonna compile a short list from this thread and make my way across town some day to mess around with these and a couple other brands.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Hughes & Kettner make some good gear - the Tubeman is great - but not cheap and it's only a pedal.

Their amps are just as good.

If I had the money to shell out, i'd either go for a JMI (Jennings' reincarnation of the original AC30) or a Matamp. Matamp build to order and match speakers if you wish. Sadly boutique prices..........

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@xplorervoodoo)
Trusted Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned BlackHeart amplifiers yet. I haven't tried them personally, but have heard nothing but great reviews. They were highly praised on the Warmoth forums a couple of years ago.

Tone is subjective.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2