Notifications
Clear all

First Bass

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@spidey4549)
Topic starter  

I am looking to buy my first bass soon. I know the only way to choose one is to go try them out and see which one feels and sounds better. I was just wondering what your all's opinions were on the few basses I'm looking at, and opinions on any other kinds I should check out. I am looking to get one with a P/J arrangement. I've read most people here don't like Squier's in particular but I'm still gonna throw one in.

Ibanez SR300DX
Yamaha RBX170
Rondo SX SB-301
Squier MB4

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you should consider a well-made acoustic-electric bass. they're great, since you don't have to plug them in all the time, but you can if you get gigs or want volume.
otherwise, i'd go to a big guitar center or something and play a bunch until you find one you like. i used to own a tradtition p-bass i really liked. it felt good in my hands.
i don't like squires either. most are junk.
here's a bit of advice. don't play an electric unamplified too much. you'll have to play harder, and that can mess up your technique.
check out talkbass.com it's a great site with a lot of helpful pros.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Many of our readers like the Yamaha RBX series.

ReplyQuote
(@spidey4549)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

That particular Ibanez is a step up from that particular Yamaha, but generally they are comparable when you look at their offerings at the same price points. Personally I'd lean toward Yamaha; I played one of their TRB basses the other day and it was incredibly comfortable. But Ibanez is very good too.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@spidey4549)
Topic starter  

A guy from a music store told me today that I should look at getting a Jazz bass instead of one with a P/J arrangement. Is he right? Which should I look at? I plan on playing hard rock and some classical rock mainly. The guy suggested the Fender Standard Jazz bass. It was around $330 dollars and it seemed like the store specialized in Fender.

ReplyQuote
(@spidey4549)
Topic starter  

I went out today and tried out a Peavey Millennium 4 BXP. It sounded good and wasn't too heavy. I'm thinking of getting this one because the stores around here don't seem to carry Ibanez, Yamaha, or some other brands that I wanted to try, and I would rather buy a bass that I've been able to hold and listen to. What do you guys think of this bass and what type of amp and other accessories should I look at getting if I buy this.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Nothing wrong with Peavey, if you like the sound and feel. There are many low-end amps to choose from - what's your budget?

If you can spend $300, then the Ashdown Electric Blue 12" 180w is tough to beat for good tone and overall value.

But the best thing to do is play YOUR bass through as many amps as you can find in your price range, and choose the one that seems to be the best match.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I have the Peavey Fury IV (it has been discontinued for several years). I love it. It could use some new electronics, but active Pick-ups seem fine. Neck and action are great. I have put on flatwound strings and enjoy the sound and feel of them.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@spidey4549)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the help. I think I've decided to get the Yamaha RBX170. Everyone talks good about it and it's a good price for my budget. Plus I can now spend a little more on an amp and accessories. My budget for an amp will probably be $200 and less, but if needs be I can go up a little bit if it will be better. Any suggestions on a good amp in this price range and any good accesories to start with is appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

A guy from a music store told me today that I should look at getting a Jazz bass instead of one with a P/J arrangement. Is he right? Which should I look at? I plan on playing hard rock and some classical rock mainly. The guy suggested the Fender Standard Jazz bass. It was around $330 dollars and it seemed like the store specialized in Fender.

The Jazz bass will almost always be more than a P or P/J. Partly real costs, partly perceived value. If you really want a wider variety of tone, then the Jazz is worth it, but from your interests, a P/J should be fine.

ReplyQuote