Skip to content
First time changing...

Notifications
Clear all

First time changing guitar strings- should I go for it?

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, all.

I broke my high E string earlier on my "new" guitar. I have never changed my own strings in five years of playing. Should I go for it this time, or wait until I can be taught how to do it properly?

Thanks for any opinions.

Shady

Take care,

Casey

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

What he said.

Read one of the many online tutorials on how to change strings and go for it. That's how you learn. It'll be kludgy at first. Takes a while to get comfortable with it, just like anything else you do.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok- and if I'm not 100% certain what it was originally strung with? :?

Thanks for the advice.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

on my "new" guitar

Am I correct in assuming that the "new" that is quoted means new to you? If so, change them all; that way you'll know what they are and how long they've been on. I also keep a set in my case in the event that I break a string while playing (hasn't happened yet but I've seen it happen to others plenty of times). After years of playing I still don't do a good job of changing strings - I can do it and they keep in tune but looks ugly.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

New means bought from a shop in December without any documentation. (Is that the norm?) From what I remember the chap in the shop saying it was strung with 12s. So I have a second set of 12s ready to go.

but which source do you people consider the best to learn to change strings, other than simply practising. Documentation/videos?

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

If you bought a new guitar I would assume that the strings would be relatively new as well.... can you phone them and ask?

As for learning, my own preference is to see a video; I learned by documentation and the results aren't pretty. In fact one of my playing buddies would rather string my guitar than see me do it.....

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

They're definitely 12s.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There's probably something on YouTube on "How to String Your Guitar." There's one on how to take a Mossberg 500 shotgun all apart and put it back together!

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

OK. I've worked up the courage to go for it. But there's still string attached at the peg end from where I bust the high E yesterday.

How do I remove that?

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, darn it!

I worked out how to remove the old string from the peg end, did that, attached the new string no problems, and then got to tightening it. Tried to tighten to tension without stretching. *click* *ping!*

:roll:

I guess I won't be trying it again for a while.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

hmmmm ... I've never had anyone change my strings for me. :? Keep working at it, it is worth it in the long run. :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

*click* *ping!*

You need to lubricate your nut. :P

A little graphite (e.g., pencil lead) will do it.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

*click* *ping!*

You need to lubricate your nut. :P

A little graphite (e.g., pencil lead) will do it.

And don't pull the string taught before you wind. Give it some slack...then wind. You want a few winds around the peg.

Check the Frets.com website and/or our own NILS' page here:

http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/GuitarStringing.htm

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

And another thing- there didn't seem to be a noticeable groove in the bridge for the string to sit in. Am I just being pernickety now? :lol:

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You're talking about an acoustic? Lots of them don't have any grooves or notches in the saddle. Should have them in the nut, though.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2