Clear all

Upgrade or Budget?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So, Bass is my 2nd instrument and Im trying to get to grips with it. I do enjoy it though. Do I upgrade my Current Freshman P Bass which seems decently made with some new electrics, a new Wilkinson pickup/bridge/tuners and possibly a fret tidy/set up or get some budget bass like a Squier/Peavey/Ibanez etc? Im only into home use and the odd jam hopefully soon and only use a Marshall MB15 at home (between them they do make a pretty punchy sound I have to say). I mean, the upgrades could be done as an ongoing project while I hopefully get better!! I only paid a very small amount for it while I dipped my toe in the bass waters so I dont mind taking tools to it and as an Engineer Im fairly handy I think. Or I could just get a cheap bass (played a Peavey Millenium which I quite liked) but would it be appreciably better than the Freshman?

:?

Gordon Smith GS1.5-40 Marshall VS65R

(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I upgraded - I picked up a bargain off ebay, a metallic blue Ibanez RD300 only a couple of months old and in as new condition and really well set up. Only got it tonight but a few mins play and I am really pleased. AND I only paid £60 for it, about $120 USD. I am very happy with my bargain!

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Sweet! Congrats, that looks like a really nice bass to play! :D Glad you're enjoying your bargain (good enough to possibly permit those upgrades you mentioned, and now you have a second bass to play wile your first one is being worked on :wink: )

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Theres someone at work might be after buying my first bass. My first impressions of the RD is that is a much more modern muscular sound than the P bass copy, which I like a lot. I was in your neck of the woods to collect it as well scrybe - had to drive to that Liverpool (Uni halls, near Mossley Hill station) to get it. The guy I bought it off had a lovely new Epi EB3 as well.

I did feel OLD when I went into the uni halls, I'm old enough to be the sellers dad :shock: .

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

aww, you should have stopped by to jam with your new bass. :cry:

I'd suggest keeping the P-bass copy - I'm not much of a bass player (I play bass like its a guitar....), but I've always liked the P-bass, and its always good to have a standby in case your main axe is unplayable for whatever reason (as I recently found when my strat's pots got crackly).

hope ya having fun with it!

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@darth-ordinary)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

aww, you should have stopped by to jam with your new bass. :cry:

Sometime soon maybe - whereabouts in Liverpool are you again?. Thing is, I'd have to get a lot more competent before I start hanging about with MUSICIANS :shock: :oops:

I am trying to get some sort of jam going in my village social club but it might be full of middle aged geezers (like me)...

PS - liking that new spear guitar you posted.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats, DO.

That looks really nice and sounds like you get a ripping deal on it. 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Congrats.
That does sound like a heck of a deal.
Enjoy!
:)

Don

ReplyQuote