Flashback to the 80's - beautiful

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Graham Russell of Air Supply;

Can't say I've ever though of him as one of the "top 100" guitarists of all time. He is a left handed player, and is playing a flipped over 6 string cutaway in this version. (regularly played a 12 string back in the day)

But, check out the vid. closely; The guitar is still strung "right handed"! When he is plucking the bass notes, he is on the bottom strings where the high E should be. At least, that is how my mom's guitar was strung (she played left handed as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH6Rx0xb2vE

I can't imaging playing it "backwards" like he is doing in the vid. Looking at other videos, I see he played the 12 string in the same manner. Who knew? I didn't. Maybe many lefties do it like that. It just seems very difficult to me.

Learning something new everyday...and oh yeah...man, am I getting old! :shock: I remember when that song was a hit on the radio! :note2:

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I loved the acoustic duo, mellowed and matured. I remember that song too, and have the vinyl record. Everybody bought that LP. There's many for sale in Salvation Army stores? :shock: They had big hair back in the day? And they were BIG!

I didn't know how he played the guitar either, but lots of lefty's just grab my guitars, flip 'em over and do that. It's a way?

You know when it gets really weird man? Well, IMO when a lefty buys a lefty guitar, then wants it restrung like a righty, upside down. So there, you got a good lefty guitar already made and have to change nut and intonation or the saddle. :lol:

I just realized that we could play a guitar like that, a lefty re-strung. I don't really intend to have a set of pictures for everything unless relevant, useful, and hopefully entertaining or informative. I know I have converted a few guitars like that over the years, and then I realized that I've got one, which I built. So, I've sinned and done my share of mischief. :roll:

Perhaps it might suit someone like Graham? But not Jimi.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I'm still enjoying that video, and keep finding others. Thanks katmetal! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote