Skip to content
Forget the electric...

Notifications
Clear all

Forget the electric, I'm sticking with acoustic.

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sam334)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've had an acoustic for a while, but have only started playing it regularly during the past 10 months or so. So, I was planning on asking for a new guitar this Christmas. After looking at some acoustics, I think I may want to get an electric so I can have the option of playing either one and maybe get a better acoustic next year or sometime in the future.

I went into Guitar Center yesterday and tried out various guitars on various amps. I was thinking of the following guitar:

Fender Deluxe Strat (HSS)
-- http://tinyurl.com/y7adg9

and either one of these amps:

1. Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30W Guitar Combo
-- http://tinyurl.com/yyalnw

2. Fender G-DEC
-- http://tinyurl.com/y97pom

Yes, I liked the way everything sounded. I guess I'm wondering if the Strat and whichever amp are worth the price.
Also, I am open to playing any type of music. So, versatility is definitely important.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

:?

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey there, I think those are pretty good choices for you "Electric Solution".

I would go with the VOX instead of the G-Dec. The G-Dec doesn't sound so great at louder volumes and your kinda stuck with what you get with it. I mean the sims/effects and backing tracks, while great for a beginner etc. I really only used mine for a good year and this past year have only played it a half dozen times.

I'd go with the VOX and the Strat for sure though :)

And the prices seem decent enough to me. I could probably do better, but not by very much.

D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I have one of those Vox amps and can vouch that it is a versatile amp. You need to have the footswitch for it, to make it really worth your while. I actually have an old Peavey two-switch footswitch that works just as well.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@sam334)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well, the story continues. I went in 3 times to try out the electric guitars on various amps. Still intimidated by all the sounds available to me. Too much fiddling around. Two of the employees were really helpful though.

Well, I think I'm just gonna stick to acoustic, lol. I really enjoy playing fingerstyle classical pieces and think I'll be happier with that Breedlove I mentioned in the other thread. I felt I was making some progress with my current acoustic and I felt lost with an electric guitar, amp, and pedals at my disposal. Knobs.... :evil:

Maybe I'll get one of those 51 Squeirs in the near future to try the whole thing out, but for now I'm going with that AC25SR :) I'll probably pick it up later this week. This whole process has left me a bit tired, but still excited for that new guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@sam334)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Killed some times at GC today. I tried the AC25 Plus and the AD25 SR Plus. I really liked the sound of the dreadnought one (AD25). However, that model only comes as the "Plus" model with a more decorative inlay (which I'm not particularly fond of) as opposed to the Concert model which comes in a plain version and the "Plus" version. The dreadnought sounds fantastic, but I am not sold on the looks. The "Plus" is also $100 more. :-/

More decisions :x

ReplyQuote