Notifications
Clear all

GAS attack...

30 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

getitgetitgetit. I have a Highway One with a Blues Jr amp and it's fabulous. BTW, i also have a Martin.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

That reverse V is just too wrong for words.

Unbelievable - on the link GrungeSunset posted above, there are no less than 24 of those....those....things. You'd have thought someone with a bit of sense and authority would have taken a look at the prototype or blueprints and said, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

When he'd stopped laughing, that is............

:D :D :D

Vic

No sense of adventure in you guys. I like having guitars that not every else has -- part of the fun.

And I remember desperately wanting one of those Tele Deluxe jobbies in .... well, 1973.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yeah Greg, I remember seeing your pic of Fugly and Bugeye- (I think!) strange looking guitars, the pair of them, BUT that's part of the charm. My opinion - and it IS only an opinion - is that the 72 Tele, the Squier 51 and the backwards V all look like some "genius" thought, "hey, we've got a load of spare parts here - those suckers'll fall for anything, let's just throw 'em together any old how."

Based on an original concept by Mary Shelley, body parts courtesy Messrs Burke and Hare.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The Squire '51 is supposed to be the guitar version of the '51 P-Bass:

In the annals of industrial design, I believe the '51 P-Bass is considered somewhat seminal.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey Vic -
Actually, the 72 Thinline and the 72 Tele Custom have the proper Tele neck.

I've also played the 72 Thinline.... I'm just not hep to those Humbuckers :?

I would like to play the 72 Custom.... It has a HB in the Neck (Where I think it should be),
and a SC in the Bridge.
It also has a Tele bridge - Unlike the Deluxe which has a Hardtail Strat bridge.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

getitgetitgetit. I have a Highway One with a Blues Jr amp and it's fabulous. BTW, i also have a Martin.
Same here though I have a Fender amp.

Let's see...
you know you want one
all the cool people have Teles
everybody's doing it...

that enough peer pressure for you? :P

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Young Scrybe, I don't know what I was thinking. You'll actually need TWO Teles. One standard, and one with a HB in the neck, tuned to open-G. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

who said something about a Thinline Tele? Youjust had to do that, didn't you? Squier makes a cheap one....

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I've caved. Completely. One Telecaster in Midnight Wine will be winging its way to me in a few days. I went for delivery since its the same cost as train fare to blackburn, and I can return it if its not to my taste. HA! Its a midnight wine maple-necked telecaster, how can it not be to my taste? I would have been getting it delivered on Monday, but since I'm out all day then, I can hardly be there to sign for it, so it'll take a day or two longer.

Anyway, I deserve it. Its not like I'm actually spending extra money here or anything....I'm just, um, just using the money I would have spent on my JTM45 had it not been such a great deal when I got it. See? :roll: :wink:

And rparker, have you read my ideal list or something? Lol, I have a five-year plan for guitar and related gear acquisition.... :mrgreen:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

And rparker, have you read my ideal list or something? Lol, I have a five-year plan for guitar and related gear acquisition.... :mrgreen:

Nope, not read your 5 year plan. I'm just old and wise. :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Same here though I have a Fender amp.

Let's see...
you know you want one
all the cool people have Teles
everybody's doing it...

that enough peer pressure for you? :P

more than one ... one is merely a start

(and we also have those BJ Fender amps so we can really spank those planks)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

Is it just me, or does the 72 Tele just look plain WRONG with a Strat headstock? Then again, I thought the Squier '51 was a plug-ugly guitar, and it seems like virtually everyone on this forum's got at least two! That's more like a Strat body with a Tele headstock - again, it just looks WRONG to me! At least Squier got it right with the Tele Custom II - Tele body, Tele 'stock - although I still think the pickguard should go all the way around the bottom horn.

Still haven't seen anything to match that wrong-way-round flying V, though!!!

Vic

I like the Strat headstock. Aesthetics are all taste of course. Never liked the traditional telecaster headstock shape. I do prefer the black finish. Black and chrome matches my Jaguar. I do agree the Squier '51 is ugly.

I like these too.

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301010506

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0301000505

With the exception of the Squier name on the headstock. I've never been all that impressed with Squier.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

This is the Squier Tele I have....

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0327502506

And though I don't use the neck p/u much on the Fender, the neck p/u on the Squier is great for soloing - you can get an almost Santana-esque tone from it, which I really like. The neck p/u is great for hard rock, but it also has a nice mellow clean tone, too. Plus if you're into country, the "Tele Twang" is there as well.

IMO, it's a very versatile guitar, and good value for money. I've had one almost three years now, and it's been used a LOT. Maybe it's a little less played now I've got the Fender, but now the Squier has had the action adjusted for slide and it's kept in open G. Pretty good for cranking out those Stones tunes or George Thorogood riffs!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Scrybe wrote:
Ok, I've caved. Completely. One Telecaster in Midnight Wine will be winging its way to me in a few days.

Alright! :D I predict you'll simply love that guitar as I do mine (it's Arctic White)...especially for the money. IMHO, it's well worth the price.

As for the Baja, Dan T., I say go for that! :D Mine is blonde and the sounds it's capable of are amazing. And it's cool-looking. 8)

Re: the '72 Deluxe, I owned one for a few days. I tried to like it but I agree with Ken about the humbuckers. Something was definitely lacking. For me, anyway. Then I tried and almost bought a black '72 Custom:

Tele

...but the grounding was almost non-existent! I'd just touch it and nearly get shocked. And again, the pups weren't up to par. So I ended up with my Standard Tele and have never looked back!

P.S. I agree that the Squier '51 is one fugly guitar. But I caved in to peer pressure and bought 3 of 'em. What a girl won't do just to try and be accepted... :cry:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

"the Squier '51 is one fugly guitar"

sacrilege!

as one of my fav punk bands (GBH) liked to put it, "It's GOOD to be UGLY!"

i love my '51!

but i'm admittedly twisted....

#4491....