Notifications
Clear all

Gave in today....

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@alextin)
Topic starter  

Ok folks. I broke down today and did it. I bought a Les Paul.

Originally, I just going to check out some mutli-effects boards: DigiTech GNX4, BOSS GT-8, VOX Tonelab SE and ZOOM G9.2tt. Well, for the first time ever, a salesperson at Sam Ash (Margate, FL) actually knew what they were talking about. After tooling around with all of those for a while, I settled on the DigiTech GNX4.

While I was at it, I figured I'd check out some guitars as well. I played some Michael Kelly guitars; not bad, but the coil-taps don't seem to function too clearly. That is, when one of the coil-taps is engaged, it's difficult to discern between the humbucking sound and the single coil sound, with and without gain. Also played a few Gretsch's and a Fender thinline. Those weren't too bad, but then the salesperson pointed out a used LP Standard. The price was $1449. After playing it for about half an hour, I knew I had to make this one mine. Now, I'd played Pauls before, always liked 'em, but never really had the nerve to buy one. Well, I finally gave in and got one. I didn't have time to play it too much once I got it home as I had to leave for work. If anyone cares, I can get some pics if they'd like.

Enough of my rambling. Just thought there might be a few out there that'd like to hear about the recent acquisition.

Do it for the phat lady!

xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Wow, enjoy!
What color did you end up with?

ReplyQuote
(@alextin)
Topic starter  

original sunburst

Do it for the phat lady!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I'd played Pauls before, always liked 'em, but never really had the nerve to buy one

LOL, that line gave me a chuckle. Yeah, dishing over $1500 can be a little scary. :shock:

First, I see you are pretty new here, so welcome to GuitarNoise.

I can feel your pain, I really can. I owned a Les Paul many years ago. I had to sell it to pay some bills (family man) and regreted it a thousand times. I just longed to have another. I love my Strat and my Tele, but I love the rich deep tone of the LP. I also like the shorter fretboard as I do not have real large hands. Finally, last year a friend had a Studio in great condition he offered me for $600. No way I could spend $1500. So I went for it and have been happy ever since.

But this is not about me, it is about you and your new Les Paul. Congrats, they are great guitars. It is the tone that makes them so special. Nothing sounds like a Paul.

So have fun, and please post some pics. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Me likem Les Pauls. Good sound. Great to play. I think me & Wes have similar guitar selections, but I always seem to pick up the LP first. Congrats on the purchase and welcome to GN.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Congrats on the new LP and the gnx4. I been gassin for one of those myself. Welcome to GN and yes, I would love to see pics when you get them.

Have fun

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 DV8
(@dv8)

That's Funny because yesterday I had a GAS attack and bought a Les as well. Congrats on yours and here is mine:

Now I just have to figure out everything on a Les.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats to you both. Now I'm gassing.

And yes we always like to see pictures of guitars so please post them. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Congrats to you both on your new guitars. Enjoy.
If anyone cares, I can get some pics if they'd like.

Of course we care. Show us your pics. :lol:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I'm stunned that people can pay $1400 for a used guitar that wasn't used by someone famous!
Having said that, congrats, can't wait till I can afford one :D

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

Love the LP standards. Gorgeous guitars and I'm sure the sunburst color just adds to the vintage look. Congrats on the buy! Can't wait to see the pics!! :)

Nirv

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote