Clear all

Looking for a new acoustic pickup

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@simonb)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi, at the moment my plugged in work involves playing at my church twice a week (for practice and then the actual thing). Currently I'm using a Dean Markely Pro Mag Plus to plug in, and while it lets me do that, the sound from it really sounds pretty poor to me (muddy and more electric rather than acoustic) which is probably fair enough considering it was very cheap.

So now I'm wanting to get something a little nicer sounding. I'm looking at getting either an under-saddle pickup or an 'under-soundboard' one, and hoping to spend about $100-$130 US. Three which have caught my eye are the LR Baggs Element Active System, LR Baggs IBeam (active), and the B-Band AST (A1N 1470 I think the pickup/preamp combo is called).

The reason the IBeam and B-Band AST ones in particular look nice is that the only drilling required would be if I needed a wider hole for the endpin jack to go in, as I don't really want to cut up my guitar too much (though obviously if an under-saddle pickup is definately better then I'm happy to use it). I have heard though that compared to under-saddle pickups, the under-soundboard ones don't perform as well at higher volumes (like you might need when playing with other people). Oh, and if it matters, it would be going in a Seagull M6-Cedar.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these or other similar pickups in that price range they could reccomend.

Thanks