Clear all

Geeze...gaining weight

19 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I started seriously practicing guitar (approx. 4 hours a day) on the 18th of June last year. I was 177lbs, I am now 186lbs! This is a little scary.

Getting adequate exercise is tough for me b/c I work about ten hours a day at least and dont want to do anything but play guitar with the remaining time. I dont swim anymore b/c guitar is just so addictive.

I need to vary my hobbies, but I just dont see the sense in playing guitar for like an hour a day. B/c, I dont see the amount of improvement that I desire.

Its freakin amazing how weight can creep up on you like that...Advice please...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

How about finding an exercise that you find as addictive as the guitar, like surfing for example - keeping fit will only enhance your playing and help reduce stress.

If you haven't already how about reading the "A whole lot to lose' thread on this Forum, there's a lot of helpful advice on there. You just have to see that if you keep adding weight like that every year you'll get more and more unhealthy - 9 pounds isn't that much at the moment, so if you turn it around now it won't be as bad as in ten years time.

Cheers and good luck! (I'm trying to lose about the same weight myself)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Simple answer: move more in any way, eat less. So anytime you must travel less then 3 miles, take a walk. Anything less then 5 miles demands a bycicle. And the other side is just to eat less (and espescially less 'bad' food). It really is simple: what you eat minus what you burn gets added to your weight, so either burn more or eat less. :D

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

Do you eat breakfast?? This is important for starting your metabolism for the day.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Do you eat breakfast?? This is important for starting your metabolism for the day.
I agree, breakfast is important and it does not necessarily have to be a big breakfast or for that matter extremely healthy from a weight lose point of view.

I use to skip breakfast and eat a big lunch and dinner. I gained about 15 pounds over a period of time. I then decided to have something for breakfast which was typically a donut, bagel or roll which helped me have a lighter lunch because I was not as hungry. I then forced myself to only eat dinner until I was full and not until it was gone like I had before. I lost 11 pounds over 2 months.

I am not much into exercise but I do keep busy and moving a lot. This may sound silly but practice/play the guitar standing rather than sitting. When you stand just try to keep walking around a little or just keep your feet moving and it is a form of exercise. At least it is more than when you are sitting.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Definitly have a good breakfast, it might seem weird to eat more, but eating to little will throw your body into starvation mode.

Look at Arjen's suggestions, theres some good ones there. Just be active when it is possible. In the summer, I swim pretty much everyday, and it provides me with the ability to eat all the time and not but on a pound. Being active consistently really does make the difference.

Check out the "Plenty to Lose" thread, they're some good advice, and great moral support in there.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got the same problem, well, sometimes. I hurt my back and legs due to a medication (all better now) and shot up 20 lbs in two months. I started eating better and have knocked 7 off so far. Sucks not having my junk food though. Oh, how I love my chips. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

since the thread asking about the "Plenty to lose" thread was locked, i guess i'll inquire here.
Where was the thread moved to? or is that just another way of saying "into the corn field"?

seriously tho, i have made quite a few friends and good aquaintances on these boards. we are all many faceted "real people" with things other than music and guitars affecting us all.

Health is a very important aspect of all of our lives and this thread was part of that sharing that brought some of us together.
is this the new GN policy? (nothing non-music/guitar related"?)
if so then it's unfortunate.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Where was the thread moved to? or is that just another way of saying "into the corn field"?

Not a field, more like a land with other threads that jam together and throw huge parties.

I believe it's called, Electric Ladyland. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

It's a fine line trying moderate open ended discussions and keep things from going crazy. Occasionally there are moderation gaffes as well as posting gaffes (heaven knows I can attest to doing both! :wink: ) and I think this week saw some "reactions" as opposed to "conversations."

With everyone's help, we'll get it right!

Back on track - Actually, I'm still not on track weight-wise but making better progress this month. One bit of advice I'd like to add to the mix is to not eat while sitting at the television or at the computer. Simply stopping the latter (I've had no television for over three years now) helped me lose five pounds the last two weeks.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

since the thread asking about the "Plenty to lose" thread was locked, i guess i'll inquire here.

seriously tho, i have made quite a few friends and good aquaintances on these boards. we are all many faceted "real people" with things other than music and guitars affecting us all.

Health is a very important aspect of all of our lives and this thread was part of that sharing that brought some of us together.
is this the new GN policy? (nothing non-music/guitar related"?)
if so then it's unfortunate.

I figure that the "Plenty to Lose" was put in electric ladyland.

I think we, as a community, should push for a members section on the board. An off topic sub forum, where we can inquire about health, or make announcements. Up in "News" there is a thread about congratulating LuvGilmour of a newbaby. It's not guitar related, but it didn't get locked either (which is good in my opinion.)

So if the rules are going to be tighter, I think there should be a section that deals with the members lives outside of guitar.

I know that this always has been, and always will be a "guitar site" but we are a community, and a lot of us are friends. We should have a small place where we can talk about these kind of things.

Any one else agree?

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I understand Mr.H, and most of us appreciate that you Mods have your hands full on these boards.

However, rather than singling out individual artists or over-reacting (imo) to try and regulate subject matter.
wouldn't it be easier to punish those that get out of line, rather than alienating all of us that may have a different taste in artists?

i completely understand that bandwith/webspace is precious but it seems to me that this has swung the pendulum a bit too far in the other direction.
I'm not trying to be Don Quixote here or make any kind of blanket statement as to how the forum should be run, but it's a shame that this is such an issue, we used to have a pretty loose noose here.

Those that can't play well with others should be banned for a period of time to get their ducks in a row.
maybe i'm oblivious to the amount of unacceptable stuff that is removed each day, it just seems to me that it's easier to remove the "rotten apples"

sorry if this meandered too far OT

btw my weight loss progress has slowed ,but because of the increase in exersize i am fitting into smaller pants :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

In theory it is. But the heart of the matter is still that this forum has never had as "loose a noose" as people might imagine. It's only when you get a spate of incidents that occur almost right on top of each other that you even notice this sort of thing.

Personally, I'm a little perplexed about the whole situation (perhaps it should be a new thread in "Suggestions") as I can both agree with you concerning the community but am not certain that any true alienation is going on. Maybe I'm really old fashioned, but I don't think of this forum as mine, even though I'm a moderator here. It's Paul's and he pays a lot of money to keep it up and running. But you see what happens when he has a server glitch or has to work on it, right? People starting acting like it's the end of the world. :wink:

We've all made real friendships here and are continuing to make new ones every day. But the real work behind the friendship should be taking place off the boards - communications and collaborations and one-on-one talks. From what I understand, there's a very active (or several very active) chat groups among folks in real time on their various groups (MSN, Yahoo, etc.,). What needs, realistically, can a separate members area meet that aren't already available to folks?

Also of concern is personal time. No one seems to think about this, but we need more than a dozen moderators to work this board. These are not kids with nothing better to do with their days. They are working adults with families and commitments who are taking time that could easily be spent elsewhere and volunteering to essentially act as hall monitors. Every post that is made here is eating into their time. This one included! When we come here to chat, we're also putting people to work. There's no way around that.

Just as there's no real way around the fact that, like it as not, everyone's got hot buttons and reaction times faster than any guitar lick by the god-like lead guitarist of whatever band is up against whatever band in whatever post of the day someone has decided just has to be here!

I'm not really sure what kind of answer, if any, there is. I suspect that, as in all friendships and relationships, there no patented sitcom like solution and that it's going to be a matter of growing and seeing what happens next. The important thing, and you hit the nail on the head with it, is communication. But are the Forum pages the right place for it?

Why don't we start a new thread over in "Suggestions" and talk it out?

Oh - my old pants are looser but I'm not sure if that's because I've gotten smaller or because I've stretched them out too far! :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

Voodoo,

One way you can keep check on your weight is to eat healthy foods at least 5 days throughout the week you can have one or two cheat days. You can do enough by just by doing physical activies for at least 30 min. 3 to 5 times a week ( this could be moderate to intense activity) This combined with a healthy diet is enough to maintain your current weight levels. By working out for 30 min a day you will still have 3 hours at the least to play guitar. Since, you work 10 hours a day going to gym could be problem.
So number one try to increase your water intake this will help you shed pounds by itself aim for half a gallon a day.
You could walk around your neighoorhood for 30 minutes,jog or you could workout at home. Working out at home lets you set your own gym hours, you don't have to wait to use a machine, and you don't have to leave your house. Standard equipment is very cheap. You if want a example of a 30 min. workout let me know, and I can post one with or without weights.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Much thanks guys. Im still pretty bummed and a bit embarrassed at my current state but i'll work it out. I have done my homework and the experts baisically say the same stuff that you guys are suggesting. Breakfast, more activity and calorie counting...The price you have to pay to play...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2