Gibson Sold????

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

OK, before you read on, remember that I don't guarantee that any of the following information is true.

Today at my local Music-Go-Round, I was talking to the owner, and he told me that Gibson is in the process of being sold to Musicians Friend/Guitar Center. He said that they're going to essentially turn Gibson into a budget line, selling them at Wal-Mart, BestBuy, etc... Of course, I found this very disturbuing.

Please, somebody, tell me that it's not true.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Okay, that's not true.

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

But Gibson does have a crappy budget line, the Epoch. The local Target store has them in stock currently.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
ROFL! Nice blast from the past. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Target already sales Gibson/Epoch (?) LPs and SEs for about $180, but I don't think their selling out to Musicans Friend/Guitar Center.

My local dealer today didn't hint at anything like that.

So, I'm with Nick, not true.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I got mine, it's a 96, so I'm happy :lol:

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That, then, begs the question as to how "budget" Epiphone would become.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Part of it's true - that Gibson is now making low-end lines for mass merchants. The Best Buy near me carries the 'Signature' line (Gibson's name doesn't appear on the guitar, but Gibson does make them). I've also seen it in the press that they're developing an exclusive line for Wal-Mart... much like Danelectro did for Sears years ago with the Silvertone.

So that true part tells you the other part is false. If Musician's Friend/GC were buying Gibson, why would they want to supply competitors? Why wouldn't they make Gibson and Epiphone 'house brands' to capture the demand? I'm sure there's far more profit in making a Gibson and selling it yourself at retail than there is making a cheapie and selling it to a Wal-Mart who will mark it up again for the consumer.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yea now i am the CEO of Gibson Inc.

Anyone wants a favour ?

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Glad it's not true. It had me scared.
Especially because the guy that I heard it from is credible.

ReplyQuote