Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

G&L L-2500 & possible comparable choices?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@artdroid)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Been a lifelong baseplayer... toured some with bands... alot of recording... etc. but have been out of it for about 12 years or so. Sold all equipment.

Now slowly getting back into it. Initially bought a cheap bass just to get my feet wet again, but am now back to where I just can't handle not having something good sounding.

So I've been snooping around at what I consider Mid-Level basses and slowly migrating toward G&L L-2500's. Likely used.

I'm wanting something very adaptable sound-wise. Will mainly be used for recording purposes. Pop, Country, Jazz, etc. Full spectrum.

So what else out there compares to the G&L (or better) as far as sound, quality and adaptability of sound?

Anything from Ibanez, Schecter, etc or any other manufacturer?

Any thoughts or educated input will be greatly appreciated.

(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i have a low end Ibanez Soundgear and it's pretty nice. You'd probably want a higher end one from the same line.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The G&L's seem to get positive reviews and have an almost cult-like following.

Take a look at the Yamahas in that price range; the BB414 and BB415 look very intriguing. The modified P/J pickup combo should be very versatile.
http://www.music123.com/Yamaha-BB415---Bass-Guitar-(Closeout)-i161047.music

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I just recently purchased this Schecter Stiletto Studio:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Studio4-Bass?sku=516752

I would HIGHLY recommend the Stiletto series. There are many Stilettos to look at based on your price/quality needs: Studio, Elite, Custom, Deluxe, Fretless, 4, 5, & 6 strings.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ah, another recidivist - always good to hear of a musician coming back to the fold!

I've only been playing bass for about a year or so, and I only have a cheap Freshman bass....but I'm seriously thinking of upgrading....seen a few posts on here recommending Schechter basses, I haven't seen any posts whatsoever pointing out any downsides to them....and the stiletto studio-4 does look to be a lovely piece of kit....

Good look with whatever you decide on - and welcome to Guitarnoise!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@artdroid)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Here's kind of where I'm at...

The Schecter Stilleto Studio 4 or 5's are looking good.

Lakland 55-01 has to be given a chance.

Yamaha TRB1004 or 1005 have my attention also.

Going to give an Ibanez SRX700 a feel.

Still keeping the G&L Tribute L-2000 or 2500 a possibility.

I've always been a 4-string base player. But, I do find myself tuning down more and more frequently for a bit more options to the low register, so I think a 5-string is in my future... however, I've never touched one, so it could be a a hit or miss test-drive depending on first impressions.
If a Neck-through model is available I'd be a bit more attracted to those also just for esthetic reasons and simply because I've always wanted a neck-through bass. Probably Active Electronics for more options sound wise seeing as how about 90% of what I do is either direct into a board, or a computer and I like to have as much sound options as possible. I'll go sound quality/versatility over visual appeal in this decision.

ReplyQuote
(@artdroid)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Chase accomplished for now.

Wandered into a local store yesterday and was trying their different basses. Most of what I was commenting on as this thread progressed.

Then after playing a Schecter 4 string I asked them if they specifically ever see any of the Schecter Studio 5's come into their used store.

Salesperson responded "that's funny... I have a like new Studio 5 in the back that I have not gotten around to setting up yet."

He brought it out. Original box... unopened styrofoam around the bass. This thing is brand new. Not sure where the "used" came from.

Anyhow... played it a bit. Loved it. Haggled a bit. Played a Warwick Double-Buck some. Played the Studio 5 again. Haggled on both. Decided that the difference in price for the Warwick wasn't worth it for what I'm currently doing.

Went with the Schecter Studio 5. Played around with it last night here in my home studio. Amazingly happy with both the feel and the sound options available.

Thanks so much for all of your help getting me to a decision where I felt educated and confident with what was available to me.

(Now I can start chasing a deal on a Warwick or such as time permits.)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Great story. Sounds like a nice bass. I love Schecter quality.

If you get a chance, you should post some pictures. We all love to drool and then start gassing. :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

By the way, the Schecters are through necks.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote