Clear all

GN Smokers Support

287 Posts
41 Users
0 Likes
39.9 K Views
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I do believe it's getting easier. I go a whole lot longer between nicotine attacks and they're not as strong as they were a few days ago. I've discovered that if I hold a short pencil between my "smoking" fingers, it helps to alleviate the habit of just automatically reaching for a cigarette. And I haven't even stuck the eraser in my mouth yet or anything!!!!!! LOL!

Two of my friends are quitting now, too! From band night. If they succeed that will only leave the drummer and the bass player and the sound guy (who smokes these NASTY smelling cigars!). Oh! And the bass player's wife! Anyway, one of the guy's who's quitting owns the farmhouse where practice is and he said that he's going to put up 'No Smoking' signs and make everybody else go outside to smoke now! (Everybody say "Yay David"!!!!) The other one quitting is my SugarPieHoneyBunch!! :D And the keyboard player already quit about 9 months ago. So, band night is about to get a whole lot less smoky!

I'm determined to do this!! I've tried before and failed and tried again and failed, but this is it! It HAS to be! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Best wishes Elektra for your recovery- losing weight seems like the least of your worries, though by your Avatar you don't look overweight to me! (Elektra also joined the weight watchers thread) I've put up a bunch of DVDs etc that I find helpful on the 'A whole lot to lose thread' - which are good to use in between classes or when you can't get out - the tai chi ones might be helpful (as an adjuct to your medical treatment ) for strengthening the lungs and liver; one of the books I've got - Yoga for your Spiritual Muscles, by Rachel Schaeffer discusses how a few people were able to give up smoking through yoga. :)

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Thanks, Violet! I've been interested in learning Tai Chi for a while, but can't find anyone around here who teaches it. I'd LOVE to learn, though! It just looks so very focused, but calming at the same time! Maybe I need to find that DVD!

As for the weight, I just recently found out that the trouble I've been having losing weight is directly attributable to my liver. A poorly functioning liver can contribute to weight gain, especially around the abdomen (which is where mine is, and that's behind my guitar in my avatar!!! And, I also have what my father referred to as "a large following!"). When it's not working properly, the liver doesn't create enough of a specific chemical that allows weight loss (especially around the abdomen). So, since I found that out, I'm not really trying to lose weight now. I'm going to wait until the Dr.'s decide what drugs to put me on this time, then try. Last year, when I was ill and on all kinds of drugs, I lost about 25 lbs. without even trying. But, when I went off the meds, it all came back. Evidently I'm just going to have to learn to live with taking more pills every day from now on!

Thanks for the thoughts! Day Five.......... Over and Out!!!!! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Yay, David!!!

Was I too loud? :oops:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

EB, I'm proud of you!! Smoking is a hard thing to put down, believe me i know :!: ( I did it after 26 years) But as you know, nothing worth while is easy. It sounds like your health care provider is not educating you on lung disease :shock: , If you can't find the information you need, let me know and I will help you find that information ( I know a few folks in the field :lol: ) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Way to go EB! Keep it up!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Yay, David!!!

Was I too loud? :oops:

Nope, Bish, that was perfect!!! :D

And, thanks to all the rest of you, too! With all of this support I can't help but succeed! Thank you all!!!!!

OH! Violet, quite coincidentally, at work today I was browsing through an adult continuing education catalog and found a Tai Chi class! Only thing is, it started last month and they only take new students every three months, so it will be the end of July before I can take it! Darn..... but........ YAY!!!!!!!! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Just dropping in after what seems like a couple of months.

It's excellent to see you guys come so far in your non-smoking.

Vic and Crank n Jam: Forgive yourselves, and get on with the next choice. Remember, you are not defined by one moment of indiscretion. Giving up smoking is, as I've said before, a heroic battle.

The monster is so insidious, it catches us unawares at moments of contentment and leisure. Vic was in a celebratory mood. Crank n Jam was enjoying entertaining friends.

Does Vic still have his change jar? If so, can we have a photo?
Is Marilyn still smoke free?
Is Tele still smoke free?

Way to go, Elektra!

Ghost

8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@violet-s)
Reputable Member

Keep it up Elektra! Hope they find the right medicine. The Tai Chi will be great to help strengthen the liver and lungs - I found the website to get Erle Montaigue's DVDs, I got a few titles from him a year or so ago and they came within a week from Wales (he moved to Wales a couple of years ago, he actually lived only about 30km from where I am now, but by the time I'd plucked up courage to go to lessons, he'd moved), anyway the DVDs are so good I find I don't need to go to a live class, though I might go next year to one of his students that now teaches for the company etc)

anyway the website is: http://www.erle.co.uk/

the title to start with is: MTG1 on page: http://www.erle.co.uk/Free/taijiquan_beginner.htm .

The cost is US $56.54 (I converted the UK 30 Pounds) which might sound a lot for one title, it is two hours long, and I never regretted paying that much, because it is so much more useful for learning it than any other DVD I've got of Tai Chi , it will be a great tool to have to use during the week between live lessons, as it's a bit hard to remember all the movements to start with.

On the site http://www.taichiamerica.com/ they are offering half hour online lessons by Erle M - and if you have dial-up you can order a CD copy for $20.

Hope that's helpful, and take care!! (you've inspired me to go and practise more too!)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I'm giving it another go starting Monday. I've felt like crap since starting back up, and it just pounds it home how much better I felt as a non-smoker and how stupid it is to smoke.

So I had a couple of weeks of weakness. Each time it gets better, so maybe this next time is the one.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'm giving it another go starting Monday. I've felt like crap since starting back up, and it just pounds it home how much better I felt as a non-smoker and how stupid it is to smoke.

So I had a couple of weeks of weakness. Each time it gets better, so maybe this next time is the one.

Jason

Ur my hero. :wink:

Go for it, Jason!!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

132 days - one cigar - but I'm now a non-smoker again....Marilyn has never caved into temptation.....

As for the change jar, it's paid a few bills off - but we don't seem much better off financially - part of the reason is we're buying better quality food, it's strange to actually taste what I'm eating after all these years....spending a lot more on fruit (we never used to buy any) and vegetables (used to buy cheap frozen veg, now we buy nice fresh veg....)

Better luck this time, Jason - now you know how good it feels not to smoke, it's an even bigger incentive....

Elecktrablue, proud of ya girl - doing great! I recommend a good supply of Life-savers - Wint-o-green for preference - those mints were well named!!!

Personally, I haven't felt this good in 20 years - I've got more energy than I know what to do with, I've put weight on - I always was thin, but at least it's going on in the right places - and the biggest bonus of all for me, I'm getting about 6-7 hours sleep a night - no more insomnia, which I've suffered with for years....used to get about 3-4 hours on a good night....

I might have to take up running to burn off the excess energy - I've run out of things to do round the house!!!

Feelin' good (and , well, yes, a bit smug.....!)

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Personally, I haven't felt this good in 20 years - I've got more energy than I know what to do with, I've put weight on - I always was thin, but at least it's going on in the right places - and the biggest bonus of all for me, I'm getting about 6-7 hours sleep a night - no more insomnia, which I've suffered with for years....used to get about 3-4 hours on a good night....
Vic

Insomnia is the worst! Recently, I had a couple of missed nights' sleep (job interviews the next morning); and it really messes us your system. It brought me back to university days, and the marathon insomnia sessions around exam time :cry:

Vic: do you think there's a direct correlation between quitting smoking and getting better sleep; or is it (indirectly) a function of increased daytime energy, increased eating etc, which helps you get sleep? How long have you been getting good sleep?

For me, I used to grind my teeth a lot at night; probably the subconscious craving for a cigarette at night. I don't anymore. This is probably because I don't have cigarettes messing up my system anymore.

It's remarkable that something like smoking affects so many things, and causes a negative chain of events.

Best wishes to all,

Ghost 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Way to go guys!!! I found that in a few months I wasn't getting short of breath when not doing anything :D Now that its been 10 years I haven't had any trouble with emphysema for a long time. Vic, I think its really cool that you and Marilyn have quit at the same time 8) 8) --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ghost Rider asked:

"Vic: do you think there's a direct correlation between quitting smoking and getting better sleep; or is it (indirectly) a function of increased daytime energy, increased eating etc, which helps you get sleep? How long have you been getting good sleep?"

I've been sleeping better since about the end of February....didn't notice at first, then it dawned on me, I wasn't up all night on MSN anymore.....

I think there is a correlation: simply due to the fact I'm feeling less sluggish, doing more, eating better, and possibly feeling better about myself.....what I do know is, instead of going through to about 6am, then crawling in bed for a couple of hours, most nights I'm in bed by about 2am and sleeping through till about 10 - then when I'm awake, it's straight out of bed, shower, shave - I used to shave about once or twice a week - pot of tea and a breakfast - before it was cup of tea and a ciggie, back to bed for a couple of hours, then get up -

I dunno, I think I've even manage to kick-start the brain cell - I feel mentally more aware, sharper and more receptive - I'm not forgetting things two minutes later....

I suppose 30 years of smoking 30 a day is a lot of Carbon Monoxide - no wonder I felt sluggish!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 19 / 20