Clear all

Favorite cover song

27 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@boogie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've been reading through a number of topics here on favorite Beatles cover, Dylan cover, worst song, etc..., but did not see anything that touches on cover songs in general. My favorite cover song of all time:

Satisfaction (The Rolling Stones) as covered by Devo.

I saw Devo cover this on SNL many, many, many years ago and it still ranks as my all time favorite.

(@alangreen)

Hendrix's cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" has to be way up there, although "Crossroads" has recently been covered by Rush. Hmmmmm.

Marilyn Manson has done some good covers - "Tainted Love" and "Personal Jesus" are the most well known (methinks) but his cover of the Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This" is very good. And Rammstein's cover of Kraftwerk's "Model" is just bizarre.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Hendrix's cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower" has to be way up there
When I saw Dylan, recently, he actually performed "All Along The Watchtower" à la Jimi Hendrix - now, if that isn't praise, I don't know what is.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The Waterboys' blended Van Morrison's "Sweet Thing" and the Beatles' "Black Bird" into one tune with some amazing fiddle work; it's truly magical.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

The Stones cover of Robert Johnson's Love in Vain. Mick Taylors slide work on it is so beautiful it brings tears to your eyes

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Seems like dylan all around.

Me Guns n Roses - Knocking on heavens door

Also , How does hendrix does that ''woww woww woww '' solo :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yep, Dylan did the Hendrisized version when I saw him too. It's great when a cover unlocks potential in the song that even the songwriter hadn't quite seen.

How about the Clash's version of "I Fought The Law"?
Linda Ronstadt's cove of "Blue Bayou"?
CCR's cover of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Sheryl Crow's - Sweet child of mine is fantastic.

Now there goes a song for those who can't play the insanely tough riffs of SCOM :D
And also those who only have an acoustic guitar

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Eric Clapton - Little Wing
REM - King of the Road (cover of the Roger Miller classic from the 50s, great fun)
Marilyn Manson - Sweet dreams (gotta admit it's made with great skill)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My favourite cover of all time has to be Joe Cocker's version of "I get by with a little help from my friends" - one of the weaker tracks on Pepper, IMO. He took a joky, singalongaRingo tune and turned it into a blues-rock classic. It's been covered again since - both Wet Wet Wet (now there's a band who lived up - or down! - to their name!) and Billy Bragg had #1 hit singles with it, but the latter two were more faithful to the Beatles' version....

Also (just off the top of my head) Eloise - The Damned, Status Quo's version of "Rockin' All Over The World," any old Manfred Mann version of a Dylan song from the sixties, and "You Angel You" from the 70's....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member

Stones~Love In Vain.

GG

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Well, the obvious ones you all know I'm gonna say:

Claton's cover of JJ Cale's Cocaine
Cream's cover of Crossroads
Clapton's cover of Knockin on Heaven's door

But some others:

Elton's cover of The Who's Pinball Wizard
Hendrix's cover of All along the watch tower
SRV's cover of Little Wing

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I could repeat so many of what's been written, but why be boring. Here are some new ones.

Letters To Cleo - Cruel To Be Kind (and I'll throw in I Want You To Want Me)
Mettalica - Turn The Page
Neil Young - All Along The Watchtower

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

The Stones cover of Robert Johnson's Love in Vain. Mick Taylors slide work on it is so beautiful it brings tears to your eyes

Right On!!!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Elton's cover of The Who's Pinball Wizard

Refresh my memory. Did EJ actually do that Who song before the who actually recorded it? I was thinking it happened first in Tommy.

Roy

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2