Notifications
Clear all

Favorite cover song

27 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

I'm a cover junkie (I like fresh takes on tired songs), so I won't bore you with a long list. But I will give one that I think perhaps wins the award for "Cover That Most Improves a Marginal Song":

'Eye in the Sky' by Jonatha Brooke (old Alan Parsons song) - she took a typical 70's/80's schlock song and turned it into a biting, personal little acoustic number.

And RParker, I've got to agree with the Letters To Cleo version of Cruel To Be Kind. She just sounds really irritated when she sings the word "explain" in the line 'when I ask you to explain, you say..."

Oh, and one other - Seu Jorge has an entire album of acoustic versions of David Bowie songs done in Portugese (It's from the movie The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou). Very odd, but really interesting to hear Portugese acoustic takes on Rebel, Rebel, Suffragette City and others. David Bowie even wrote that he found new depth to his music after hearing this.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Elton's cover of The Who's Pinball Wizard

Refresh my memory. Did EJ actually do that Who song before the who actually recorded it? I was thinking it happened first in Tommy.

I wasn't alive at the time :lol: but I found this :

http://www.thewho.net/discography/songs/PinballWizard.html

"preceded the rock opera"

I think that answers the question?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I liked alot of johnny cash's covers later on in his career (can't think of the name of the album). I would say...without knowing of too too many covers that hurt by johnny cash is up there, along with all along the watch tower by hendrix. As well System of a Down does some cool partial cover songs to blend into there songs at live concerts. So, at the end of this rant I suppose my answer is...I don't know.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Answers many questions.....like how sad it is that I at least remembered some of it from a few decades ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@shortbus_bully)

Red Hot Chile Peppers' cover of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground is by far my favorite cover. I also like Dark Tranquillity's covers of 22 Acacia Ave. and Sacred Reich.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Answers many questions.....like how sad it is that I at least remembered some of it from a few decades ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@jsnood)
Estimable Member

Oh, and one other - Seu Jorge has an entire album of acoustic versions of David Bowie songs done in Portugese (It's from the movie The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou). Very odd, but really interesting to hear Portugese acoustic takes on Rebel, Rebel, Suffragette City and others. David Bowie even wrote that he found new depth to his music after hearing this.
The little snippets of these covers in the movie were highlights for me. I just downloaded the album to my iPod. If you like Bowie and would enjoy a novel approach to his music ala The Girl from Ipenema (think Getz/Gilberto), then you'll really enjoy this record.

Thanks Slydog for reminding me about it.

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way. - A.J. Muste

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

how bout srv's cover of little wing and voodoo chile

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Simon and garfunkle's wake up little suzie...originally by everly brothers...l love that cover :D

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I don't think it can really be considered a cover, since Stevie Wonder wrote it for him then decided to keep it, but Jeff Becks Version of "Superstition"

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Reading through this thread reminded me of how much I like Elton John and John Lennon's reggae-influenced cover of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".
Can I also include the Beatles' cover of "Twist & Shout" as one of my favorite covers?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

Those that come to mind are:

You Really Got Me - Van Halen covers The Kinks

Whiskey In The Jar - Metallica covers Thin Lizzy

The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana covers David Bowie

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window - Joe Cocker covers The Beatles

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2