GN Smokers Support

287 Posts
41 Users
0 Likes
39.9 K Views
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Seems like alot of us have resolved to quit smoking this year. So far I am smoke free for about 18 hours and I am a rotten S.O.B. to be around right now. How are the rest of you doing?
Care to share some tips? Piss and moan about how horrid you feel? This is the place for it.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Smokefree for 36 years. :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Sure rub it in :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Keep it up Tele! Last October was 5 years being smoke free for me. The last time I quit, (the one that stuck!), I used the patch & had a friend I quit with. Both of us still smoke free! (No way I'm letting her win!!) It gets easier after the 1st couple of days. Chew gum, eat carrots, and when you really feel the urge, tell yourself you won't think about it for 5 minutes, and concentrate on something else. Chances are in 5 minutes you've forgotten, and the urge isn't so strong again. Take it 5 minutes at a time if you have to! As far as being a rotten S.O.B., I actually had my girlfriend at the time buy me a pack of cigs, (one of the "un-succesful" times I tried to quit), and say: "Smoke these or I'm going to kick your ***! :shock:
You can do it Tele! :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well, right now I'm keeping a new Jazz Box as my goal for not smoking. Each day I am going to toos the money I would spend smoking in a coffee can. I figure by the time I have enough for the guitar I want I should be smoke free

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That's a good idea! Nice incentive. :D I can't wait for you to post the pics of your new guitar! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I quit back in 92, but it was easy because I'd been hospitalized for an infection and was too sick to smoke. My wife used the patch. Are you? She thought it helped a lot. We both wanted to quit before having children, so that was good incentive too!

Hang in there. The first two weeks are hell but you can do it. And you'll fight the urge for several months, but it will get easier. But it's a tough go -- I won't lie about that. But you also know you can do it and you will definitely feel better when you do. Being free of tobacco is fantastic. You'll never regret giving it up.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've tried the patch in the past, as well as the nicotine gum neither worked, so this time I am going cold turkey and just looking at a pic of the jazz box I want. I figure if that beauty won't keep me from smoking I'm pretty much hopeless

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Nope, you're not hopeless. Quitting stuck with me though when I decided to treat quitting as seriously as an alcoholic does the hooch. I realized that I couldn't permit myself even one puff because nicotine is so addictive I'd start again. I figured I had to go through the withdrawal and then stay away from tobacco completely and utterly.

One thing that amazed me is that smell and taste grew so much more vivid after a few months. And you'll be surprised at how pungent the smell of smoke is. You'll be able to find the smokers in a crowded room hours after they've smoked just by following your nose. And spicy food will really knock your socks off after your taste buds recover.

And your guitar skills improve too! (Well, maybe? Who knows?)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think Steve morse is one guitarist who doesn't know words 'smoking' or 'drinking'

:D

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Must be hard to come up with a rhyme for thinking.

Well tele, not to put any pressure on you, but I'll post the same deal to you that Paul and I did for Vic. I'll contribute $1.00 for every consecutive day you don't smoke to the American Cancer Society. I'll cut the check next December.

No pressure. Just a friendly incentive.

If it helps, just think "I'm gonna make him write that check" the next time you get an urge.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

And then Vic and Tele got 700 $ each i guess , which opens a delightful world of epiphone guitars :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Now how can I turn down an offer like that Nick? Now I not only have GAS as a motive but guilt as well. Are you sure you're not my mother in disguise? :lol:

By the way THis is my reward if I stay smoke free for a year

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/512160/

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

I've not smoked for 19 years now, but I've lost count of the failed attempts that preceded the final one ...

I don't recommend it, but the only thing that worked for me was a really bad attack of bronchitis. Lying in bed covered in sweat, I thought, "You silly ****, this is how you're going to die one day!" so I never started again when I got better. And that's the last attack of bronchitis I ever had :D

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Hey i don't smoke but just wanted to say that its great your makin the effort. My dad has been smoking for more than 30 years. I figured it out one day and if he used the money differently he could have sent me and my 7 bros and sisters to college. wow!

Keep it up and you'll get it!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 20