Clear all

Godsmack-The Other Side

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been listening to Godsmack's acoustic album The Other Side today and I can't get over how much it sounds like Alice in Chains. It's uncanny.

I've never been into Godsmack before but I saw one of their videos and notice the similarity to Layne Stanley's voice.

The vocals, the riffs, the the lyrics, drums, everything is very similar. The song writing of the two bands are nearly identical. It's great because I love Alice in Chains, espically the more mellow stuff, but at the same time it rots me because its such a copy.

It reminds me of a Pearl Jam song, that Eddie wrote when he heard Layne died, its about people singing like Layne Stanley and all.

They are really good songs though, and I see myself learning and performing them all soon enough.

Anybody else listen to that The Other Side before? Do you think the same thing?

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nope, haven't heared it. But don't forget that it's very likely that some key people worked on both projects. Like the producers came from the same stable or they both hired (which never gets printed on the album) the same song writer for advice.

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

Godsmack started as a tribute band to AIC. They got their name from AIC's song "Godsmack" from the Dirt album. they also got their logo from them, but refuse to pay for it. I read an interview with jerry Cantrell and he explained all that. They still rock though! :)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Godsmack started as a tribute band to AIC. They got their name from AIC's song "Godsmack" from the Dirt album. they also got their logo from them, but refuse to pay for it. I read an interview with jerry Cantrell and he explained all that. They still rock though! :)

Well that explains it.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Excellent album!

I was just testing out my new PA system last night with that pumping through it (at wake the neighbors volume).

I always like acoustic versions of otherwise heavy rock bands. It kind of reminds me that they really can do more than heavy distorted drop-d stuff. :)

Jason <-- big Godsmack fan

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Excellent album!

I was just testing out my new PA system last night with that pumping through it (at wake the neighbors volume).

I always like acoustic versions of otherwise heavy rock bands. It kind of reminds me that they really can do more than heavy distorted drop-d stuff. :)

That's the way I see it too Jason. I often times try out acoustic versions of heavy songs to see what it's like. But to see or hear the band do there own stuff acousticly is great. It gives you a whole new respect for the band.

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

Oh man, I'm right on your boat OHG. I used to kind of like Godsmack, until I got into Alice in chains. Not only is their name derived from an AIC song, but their style is like a simplified, unrefined, and unoriginal version of AIC. Plus one of their album names is FaceLess, instead of FaceLift, like AIC. THAT'S JUST CHEATING!!

And even with what ya'll are talking about. How it's so cool that they came out with a hard album with simple hard riffs and then came out with an acoustic album. THAT'S WHAT AIC DID!!!
They came out with Facelift, and then released Sap. And it was cool when they freaking did it. When they pushed their own path.

I'm sorry. AIC has a rich and original sound. Godsmack is just a cheap ripoff.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Oh man, I'm right on your boat OHG. I used to kind of like Godsmack, until I got into Alice in chains. Not only is their name derived from an AIC song, but their style is like a simplified, unrefined, and unoriginal version of AIC. Plus one of their album names is FaceLess, instead of FaceLift, like AIC. THAT'S JUST CHEATING!!

And even with what ya'll are talking about. How it's so cool that they came out with a hard album with simple hard riffs and then came out with an acoustic album. THAT'S WHAT AIC DID!!!
They came out with Facelift, and then released Sap. And it was cool when they freaking did it. When they pushed their own path.

I'm sorry. AIC has a rich and original sound. Godsmack is just a cheap ripoff.

I will always be a AIC fan before Godsmack. I've been into Alice in Chains for about 4 years now. However, I'm not fond of the idea to continue with a different singer, so Godsmack sort of fill a void.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Excellent album!

That's the way I see it too Jason. I often times try out acoustic versions of heavy songs to see what it's like. But to see or hear the band do there own stuff acousticly is great. It gives you a whole new respect for the band.
Me three for acoustic arrangements of heavier songs. Nirvana being the perfect example - Kurt really knew what worked and what didn't, and wasn't afraid to approach it from a new angle.

Therapy? being (unfortunately) the perfect example of how not to do it - I love their songs, but when they did MTV Unplugged they just picked up acoustic guitars and played the songs exactly the same - powerchords, solos that didn't 'work' acoustically and all. It's a real shame too, as I do an acoustic version of screamager, and it works fantastically if you just give it a little love. There's a couple of vids on youtube of them in a bookshop doing it a little better, at least.

I was thinking about a big thread here, maybe suggesting a whole forum to parallel 'easy songs', or maybe even running a dedicated website specifically for people to post, request, discuss, evaluate, etc. acoustic arrangements of heavier songs. (Parallel forum would be my first choice, personally)

What say you two? (and of course anyone else interested...) Maybe a dedicated thread to discuss the possibilities?

*edit: Bingonandunnit! :) Dedicated thread and poll *

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Yeah, me..umm..four! You guys should check out Sevendust's "Southside Double-Wide: Acoustic Live" album. Great stuff, LaJon has the perfect voice to pull off the toned down set.

BTW, I really feel that Sevendust doesn't get enough credit. I saw them opening for Staind a few years ago, and they darn near, if not, topped Staind's set.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Yeah, me..umm..four! You guys should check out Sevendust's "Southside Double-Wide: Acoustic Live" album. Great stuff, LaJon has the perfect voice to pull off the toned down set.

BTW, I really feel that Sevendust doesn't get enough credit. I saw them opening for Staind a few years ago, and they darn near, if not, topped Staind's set.

I saw Sevendust for the third time just a few weeks ago! Excellent band who I agree doesn't get enough love. Southside Double-Wide is also a great album! You just reminded me that I haven't given it a listen in a long while. I'll have to fix that this evening. Thanks! :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I'm not a fan of Godsmack - only stuff I've heard has been from the radio - but if what you say is true about AIC then I definitely want to stey away. Some of that stuff (Faceless versus Facelift???) is just creepy.

Was it the lead singer from AIC that died and that was why they broke up? I like AIC, but don't knkow much about the band itself. I didn't know the singer died. Accident? Suicide?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Was it the lead singer from AIC that died and that was why they broke up? I like AIC, but don't knkow much about the band itself. I didn't know the singer died. Accident? Suicide?

They hadn't put out anything in years before he died. It was an OD. He was home alone, shot up, died right there. It was a while before he was found, actually.

Several bands have done little tributes to him. Staind has a song called "Layne" that is all about him. AIC really was an incredible band, most defintely my favorite from the 90s.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

AIC really was an incredible band, most defintely my favorite from the 90s.

I'll second that. I was a huge AIC fan from the first album. I saw them years ago with pearl jam and screaming trees. One of the best shows i ever saw.
That was my era of music. In fact it is one of the reasons I wanted to learn guitar becuase I loved the "unplugged" acoustic sounds of the heavy stuff from AIC, STP, Soundgarden...

I couldn't even tell you who godsmack was, had no idea til i read this thread...but I'm sure they cant touch the orginal sound of AIC...

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Didn't know the history of Godsmack but I always liked their music...not a huge fan but I saw them in MA a few years back with Deftones and they were good.

I liked AIC too though.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2