Going to a B.B. King concert tonight

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Going with a few friends to see B.B. King at BB king's in NYC tonight.

I have no idea what to expect. Can anyone tell me how long he usually plays for? The concert starts at 8, we're getting there at 6:00, that's a nice two hour wait, but it's a restaurant, hopefully it won't be too bad.

I'm pretty excited, I'm not a fan of his, but I'm a big blues fan, and it's a chance to see a legend.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It won't be a long set, but it will be memorable. His concerts are still very much in the authentic tradition of a blues set with the band playing an introduction and with B. B. telling a few stories along the way and chatting up the crowd.

Let us know how it went.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Did I imagine my posting a 'review' of the show, and musen responding?

Am I losing my mind?

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

You've not only lost your mind, but you've ended up on a new server as well. Check out the posts in the News and Guitar pages.

Sorry about the review. If you're up to it, why not write it out again, send it to me and I'll post it on the "Review" page where it can get seen by everyone who visits...

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

got ya. it's all good.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A couple of my posts in this thread disappeared. This link's worth reposting:
B.B. King's Bittersweet Triumph

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

My reply was lost too so here it is again:
I saw BB KING at the MEN with Gary Moore supporting, I enjoyed Gary Moore though I wouldn't really class him as blues, more of a rock guitarist. I also really enjoyed BB KING, he has a great band, hes such a cool guy and I really enjoyed hearing him talk and play. I never really noticed if he did repeat the same licks, but blues is a bit like that and is more about feeling what you play than anything. BB sounded great to me, both his voice and his playing, it realy was an evening I'll never forget, loved it. :D

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I saw BB last year. Loved listening to him play, but could've done without all of his talking. But he's always been that way, even in his younger days. The band was a tight, smokin' group, if a little tired. I enjoyed seeing him immensely, but came away a tad disappointed, wishing he had actually played a little more. But when he did, that tone of his knocked me out.

Since the the last time I saw him, it seems to me anyway that BB has gone downhill in a big way. He was on the Jay Leno Show several months back playing The Thrill is Gone and was just awful. Playing in the wrong key, and just sour notes in general. Some of the bootlegs I've heard since then haven't been much different. Not only has he sounded bad, but physically looks much worse. It's not like he was the picture of health when I saw him live, but now he just looks like age is really catching up with him fast.

He's still a huge inspiration to me, and one of my all time favorites, but I wish I could have seen him in his prime. He's coming to Orlando in a few days and I can't make up my mind whether I want to see him or not.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

B.B.'s 80 years old, and if you read the story above, he's been going through some heavy family tragedy. I'd cut him some slack. He's a real classic, if he is past his prime. I give him a lot of credit for still being at it.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, well. Actually, he mentioned that maybe 3 days before the show, his son died. And a week or so before, his grandson, very sad.
He didn't play out of key or anything at my show, it was just repetetive. And yeah, that tone is amazing. The first note he played I realized how amazing that tone is.

The band is INCREDIBLE. Like I said, I liked the backup guitarist more than BB king. He did some things I didn't think he'd do.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

B.B.'s 80 years old, and if you read the story above, he's been going through some heavy family tragedy. I'd cut him some slack. He's a real classic, if he is past his prime. I give him a lot of credit for still being at it.

Well said Ric.

I hope that i would survive at 80 and if i do , then , i would be able to play guitar in my health and not bother a thousand other people around me...infact draw them to hear me.

:)

ReplyQuote