Notifications
Clear all

good guitars for beginers.

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@tybalt)
Topic starter  

I've been doing a bit of research and I want to see what the consensus is on a good guitar for beginners. My first guitar was a Squier fender and although I liked it I had a bit of trouble getting my hands around it. My hands are small , so I'm not terribly surprised. Anyway I had to sell my old guitar and I'm looking for a cheap decent replacement, what do you guys think?

Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Lots of good beginner's axes out there. What kind of music do you wanna play? This makes all the difference...tell us what you listen to, and a lot of people will have good ideas.

I think that you'll find, as you practice, that your hand size isn't a big deal- lots of folks with small hands manage well.

Heck, there's a guy on this forum with only one hand...

Best,

Ande

ReplyQuote
(@puffin87)

Hello fellow beginner.

Like Ande said the type of music that you want to play makes a ton of difference. However, if you are looking for a good starter guitar, I might recommend the Dean Vendetta XM. While it may not be the best guitar in the world, I certainly liked it far more than the squires that I tried, and the price was much lower. Beware though, the body is made of a very light wood (paulawino or something like that). It is not made of fiber board. This makes it a little neck heavy, and the body is very easily dinged.

However, for the price, I don't think you could find a better electric guitar for a beginner.

Hope that helps,
Puff

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd also throw in that it depends where you live. In the US you have Rondo, who sell good, cheap guitars. Europe has others, who sell similar guitars, including use of the SX brand (although I doubt that they're the same as Rondo's).
I have one from a small chain, branded as "Justin". EUR 69 for a Tele with maple neck (and a nice one, too), although the pickups are nothing to write home about. Asia has a plethora of "Brand X" guitars at reasonable prices-

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Okay, you gotta tell me. Why is the guitar called "Justin." (Which is my name.)

Another thing to do is get into a guitar shop and start trying them out- even between guitars of roughly the same quality, there's a lot of variety in terms of how they feel to a given player- do you have friends who play? They may have insights, and guitars you can try out...

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

I'm really liking my Cort G200 (inexpensive, strat style) which I've learned more with since New Year's than I have in 5 years with my cheapo acoustic.

It's the only electric I've ever played though. I don't know what others would be like in comparison.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

They are the house brand of Just Music.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I LOVE rondomusic.com for guitars, my electric was $100, $175 after hardshell and shipping, and it plays like a dream!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

+1 for Rondo!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

+1 for Rondo!
+1 again.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I got my 9 year old son a Peavey Raptor plus EXP for his birthday in December, and I have been impressed with it so far. The setup out of the box was very close to perfect (I lowered the saddles a bit, and tweaked the intonation on 2 or 3 strings)

The neck plays nicely, the fit and finish is good, and it only cost $150(CDN) with a gig bag, and accessory pack.

I'm not concerned about durability. That's one thing Peavey has always done well.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@boynamedsuse)

+1 for Rondo!
+1 again.
Agreed. They are hard to beat in the low-moderate price ranges.

ReplyQuote