Skip to content
Guitar ideas w/ sto...

Notifications
Clear all

Guitar ideas w/ stock Seymour Duncan pups (JBs at least!)

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I bought a Schecter C-1 Classic almost a month ago to the day, so time is running out...(GC, of course)!

Anyway, one of the main attractions was the real Seymour Duncans (JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck) that are stock on this model. While the C-1 Classic is a decent guitar, there are several things I'm not too happy with:

1) The neck just doesn't feel as good as, say, a Strat...even a Squier '51. Maybe the frets are too big for me or something. Not sure. This, obviously, is the biggest problem.

2) The Tone control is basically either OFF or ON. To be fair, I contacted Schecter regarding this and they (without hesitation and free-of-charge) sent me a different type pot that supposedly has more sweep to it. Don't know why they didn't use that one in the first place, because I'll have to pay to have it switched (if I even bother). In any case, this makes me wonder about the overall quality of the guitar.

3) The color and entire look of the one I bought (trans blue) is a little much even for me! The color is much darker and not as quilt-like as I'd expected from online pics (usually a guitar looks better in person in my experience!), and the vine of life inlay up the entire neck is somewhat distracting and flashy for me. Of course I knew about the inlay before I bought it, but I haven't gotten completely used to it yet.

My question:

Does anyone have any suggestions for me as far as an alternative guitar? I gotta have one with a SD JB in the bridge and a Jazz (or some type of real SD in the neck) and it has to be in the $700 range. And it must be pretty and/or cute. :wink: I understand that a lot of you would just buy a comfy guitar and then switch the pups, but that's not an option for me (total lack of ability and more $$$)! :roll:

I played and loved a Parker PM20 Pro (JB and Jazz) in white pearl (pretty!), but I've read bad or sorta bad things about their quality control of late. It's very smooth and unbelievably light and comfortable to play. Also, I tried a Yamaha AES620 (JB and Yamaha alnico 'bucker) but decided against it. Not bad, but the Schecter won out in that case.

Any ideas will be welcomed, as will experience(s) with and opinions of the Parker! :)

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Well, C'mon....
The answer to any question like this IS....
STRAT!!!! :twisted:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/msg/341717105.html

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

Not sure if it's too late Musica23, the Washburn Idol WI66Pro comes with Seymour Duncans.

http://www.washburn.com/products/electrics/idol/wi66pro.aspx

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Mac, but I took it back and got (of all things) a Gibson SG! The unfinished, no-frills one in red...and I love it! I'm still in the market for a $700-$800 guitar, though, and it will be my last for a year (says my hubby)! I actually played a Washburn and didn't care for the neck. I'm now looking at a Jackson Dinky or a Fender Tele (a thinline w/P90s or a double humbucker). Always on a quest of some sort... :? Anyway, thanks for your idea. I appreciate it!

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Thanks, Mac, but I took it back and got (of all things) a Gibson SG! The unfinished, no-frills one in red...and I love it! I'm still in the market for a $700-$800 guitar, though, and it will be my last for a year (says my hubby)! I actually played a Washburn and didn't care for the neck. I'm now looking at a Jackson Dinky or a Fender Tele (a thinline w/P90s or a double humbucker). Always on a quest of some sort... :? Anyway, thanks for your idea. I appreciate it!

If you're looking for a p90 equipped guitar, give either a Les Paul Faded DC, or an Epiphone Wildkat a test run.

Both of these have the same neck profile as the SG. If you want to hear what they're capable of, check out "Shameless Wank" (LP Faded DC - both guitars), and "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" (Epi Wildkat) on my Soundclick page listed in the sig below.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

A Gibbo SG.... Traitor!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi :D

Well, I don't know of any traditional Teles with P90 pups....
You might look into Fender's TC-90 Thinline guitar.
Ash body, P90 style pups, set neck (like yer SG should have), and it's a thinline.

Or there's the Fender Strat-O-Sonic HH Black Dove.
Strat shaped body, mahogany (like the SG), two P90 style pups.

Or you might even wanna take a look at the Fender Jazzmaster.
Cool design, P90 type pups.
They make a 62 RI version now.
You can still get real vintage ones at a pretty decent price though.
Late 50's/early 60s ones with green gaurds and clay dots would be the way to go :D

They were made up until the 80's I believe.
So there are plenty of used ones out there as well.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the additional ideas, Moonrider...I think... :?: Your songs were pretty cool, too. I love the sound of that Gibson especially. Now I'll have to add at least that one to the mix.

And Ken...I was thinking of that exact Tele (TC-90 Thinline) or the '72 Tele Deluxe Guitar (w/ dual alnico humbuckers). I already have a trad Tele (the 60th Anniversary model), but I love the neck and ya know I love Fender! I do feel like a traitor with the SG, but it's really a totally different sound and definitely a different-feeling neck. Sounds stupid, but another reason I want another Fender is cuz I want a black tweed case. I don't have any guitars with P90s, God forbid. :roll: But now the Gibson LP DC enters the picture...more fun problems!!!

Thanks for the ideas. I'll keep ya posted. Btw, I notice no one mentioned the Jackson thing. :D I figure I oughta have a shredder w/ a Floyd Rose, but I guess it would only add to my troubles whilst changing strings. Sounds like fun, though...Time will tell. Thanks again!

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

How a C-1 Artist Limited Edition. It has SD pups; JB and '59.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Artist-Limited-Edition-Electric-Guitar?sku=518187

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, vanzant38! I've considered that model many times. Just never saw it anywhere in person to play it. I'm afraid my never ending quest is coming to a halt, though, as my hubby has put his foot down after I brought home an SG w/ P-90s just yesterday! I'll have to wait at least a year for those JBs. Unless I take the new SG back...(thinking, scheming, etc.)! :idea:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

I don't know a thing about the various models of Seymour Duncan's, but my Koa Strat has Seymour Duncan printed prominently on each pickup. They sound GREAT to me!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Special-Edition-Koa-Stratocaster?sku=516034
Just fits your price range too.
Or. if you want to try a blem:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Special-Edition-Koa-Stratocaster?sku=516034X

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote