Clear all

Making Beautiful Music Together

9 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Although it's not guitar, watching these guys really makes me want to get to the point where I can actually jam with another person or small group!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYhhQhtrlFI&NR=1#:drummer:

(nevermind that the link says "drummer," it's pure piano boogie) There are a few other vids by these two, so if you like what you see and hear, watch for the subsequent links that pop up after watching this one.

Went to my daughter's high school variety show two nights this weekend, and WOW what "kids" can do! One of the acts that stood out for me was a foreign exchange student from Thailand who sang "Hero" (Mariah Carey song) beautifully, accompanied by her host father on acoustic guitar. He could really play well.

Another big motivator to practice, so I can eventually be part of a bigger sound. I don't want to play out or anything, I just want to know that high of musical communion.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I know what you mean margaret,

Its almost magical isn't it? :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Wow. Amazing. Check out some of their other videos too. So talented.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Watching that makes me want to take piano lessons!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Darn it! I read the title on this thread, and thought somebody was making a pass over the internet! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very nice indeed! I've been bandless for over a year now, and haven't played live or with another person in just as long... and miss it. It's nice when you can find one or more people to just play some music with.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Wow. That looks like a lot of fun. I wish I knew some people around here that I could at least attempt to play with. I'm not really good enough to do much with another person right now anyway, though.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

UCG, you never "get good enough to play much with somebody else" by playing by yourself. Take it from somebody who plays by himself and that's pretty much all he can do! You've got to get out and play with others if that's what you want to do.

(Really, that's not quite true. I used to have a ton of fun coming up with new stuff with my teacher, who'd accompany me. I'm still weak on improvising solos over a backup, though, because I've mostly just played alone. I'd be lost with a band.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

They are great.

And you can learn more in a 20 minute jam session then in a week of playing alone. Keep open ears and really pay attention to what the other people are doing. The good listeners are the people that other people like to jam with, not a shredder.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote