Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Nation of Origin

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you want to buy a car and you live in Europe, probably you could consider BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Citroën, Peugeot, Renault or FIAT, Alfa Romeo, Lancia or Rover, Aston Martin.

Or if you live in England......I'd say Ford, Vauxhall and Nissan are the most popular.

BTW, I've never seen the £ so strong against the dollar - it's over two years now since I went to Texas, at the time the exchange rate was $1.90 = £1. Now it's $2.07 to the £1.....I was amazed then how cheap things were in the USA, give me a few months to save up and I'll be back..........better warn Homeland Security, guys....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

If you want to buy a car and you live in Europe, probably you could consider BMW, Mercedes, Audi or Citroën, Peugeot, Renault or FIAT, Alfa Romeo, Lancia or Rover, Aston Martin.

Or if you live in England......I'd say Ford, Vauxhall and Nissan are the most popular.
Ok, I tried to mention Rover and Aston Martin.

Sorry! :(

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Why would I want a Fender? I grew up with guitarists using fenders, so It's ingrained. Having said that, I bought a Burn's Marquee, which is a superb guitar for the money - sadly overpriced in the US.
I'd buy a UK made Burn's, if I could afford it.

.......but I'd still like a Stat..... :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'm very much of a mind that the best value in guitars comes in higher end models from lesser known manufacturers.

I have an all wood, hand carved Eastwood that, if it had a Gibson logo on it's headstock, would run in the $12,000 range. I paid under $2,000 for it.

I have a Selmer style accoustic made by a french luthier that is the equivilant of a very high end Taylor or Martin for 1/10th the price.

I do own a Fender, albiet a MIM one.

I just never got into the brand fascination that so many seem caught up in. There are thousands of choices out there that are both cheaper and better than the stuff being put out by the top "name" Luthier shops. Especially on the solid and semi-hollow side of the house, the big shops seem to have been getting by on their name alone for a long time. They keep lowering quality (compare a Les Paul Standard from 10 years ago to a brand new Les Paul Custom and you'll immediately see, feel and hear it) and yet the prices keep going up.

I think it does have to do with history and emmulating one's heros. Heck look at the latest offerings. Fender with their "Lenny" SRV guitar is a great example. People will pay an extra $18,000 for a guitar because it has sticky letters pre-applied to it at the factory.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I really do not understand why anyone would purchase a sub-par quality, made-in-USA guitar (esp way overpriced Gibsons!) when so many other makers produce less, expensive, higher quality, better playing, better designed new guitars with great tone (e.g., same as Gibby or different, your choice). Note that 'new' qualifier. I can understand vintage and rare speciman appeal for those who are collector/players. Pricey custom shop re-issues? The worst example of that is must be the EVH "Frankenstein" guitar ... talk about consumer dollar Darwinism.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2