Notifications
Clear all

Guitar store shredders

42 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

well ... most of them are kids, after all. they just want you to think they can play. if they are too loud, do what one normally does with a noisy kid -- tell 'em quiet it down a bit or go play outside. :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

well ... most of them are kids, after all. they just want you to think they can play. if they are too loud, do what one normally does with a noisy kid -- tell 'em quiet it down a bit or go play outside. :wink:
That's when I get a half dozen people come up to me like I'm the second coming of Einstein because I wear ear plugs to the stores. "Wow, man! I didn't even think of that!", and other comments similar in nature.

The only problem I have with noise levels is when the local GC has their house music so darned loud that the test drivers HAVE to crank it up to hear their efforts. Makes test driving accoustics really interesting. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

The only problem I have with noise levels is when the local GC has their house music so darned loud that the test drivers HAVE to crank it up to hear their efforts. Makes test driving accoustics really interesting. :roll:

Bad store design.

The GC in East Brunswick NJ (the only one in a 50 mile radius) has a separate room with glass doors for all the acoustic guitars... 6-string, 12-string and acoustic basses. It's quiet and peaceful in there. Occasionally a salesperson will pop in to see if you need any help. But otherwise, you are on your own. It's nice. :)

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Bad store design.

The GC in East Brunswick NJ (the only one in a 50 mile radius) has a separate room with glass doors for all the acoustic guitars... 6-string, 12-string and acoustic basses. It's quiet and peaceful in there. Occasionally a salesperson will pop in to see if you need any help. But otherwise, you are on your own. It's nice.

I wish. It's not the case. Our's has the seperate room with no music being piped in as well. We even have two tiny rooms off of the main Acoustic room for added privacy and silence from the acoustic room. You could not hear a pin drop when I bought my acoustic back in '04.

Long story short, I did complain in an email survey that had a rare text box asking for comments instead of the canned answers and option buttons. It was tolerable the night I got our keyboard amp for the e-drum kit. Sunday last weekend was pretty much amp vs amp IIRC. I'm going there in a few minutes just because we'll be a block away. I'm curious what I'll walk in to. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I had to travel about 100 miles to get to my "local" guitar center. It has an acoustic room. I didn't go in there though, I wanted a Les Paul. 8) Did I mention the deal I got? I might have in the other thread, I'm not sure, I'm getting old. The closer store, 45 miles away wanted $579 for the exact same guitar. There Epi LP Studios were $450. Just crazy. I paid $479 minus 10% for donating canned goods to the food bank so $431. It was well worth my gas and time. This should probably be a thread on its own, but sheeshe, what a difference and this store was on the way to GC so only about 55 miles apart. Does this guy sell any of these? He has tags on them saying these inflated prices are "reduced" and "sale" items. Yeah, right. I bought my black Epi LP Standard there last year and it was $429 like it was supposed to be. Not sure what happened? Well, the correct price last year was a suprise though cause this place historically is expensive. I'm sure if I brought this guy a copy of Musicians Friend with the price he would match it but what about my trade. "Oh, I can't give you that price and take a trade in too!" :lol: Guitar Center has it's flaws but you can't beat the prices. I chose buying in person for 2 big reasons. Trade in and I have noticed som inconsistancies in the nut heights on these Epi LP's, remember I had to cut the nut on the black one. The honeyburst was cut properly, hence the trip, the inspection and to come full circle the shredding youth in isle 3.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

showing off must be a musical style.
that style isn't my taste. annoying comes to mind.

geezer story.: way back in the 60's guitar stores were smaller. us kids were looked at as snotty nosed short pant wearers.
but when a parent was there you would get to play a guitar and amp. geez, that was fun.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

TR, I was just thinking that I would be almost that far from a big retailer if I was still up that way. Man, I been away a long time. I can get to 4 biggies wthin an hour. I wish the local one I frequented didn't go out. They were a much smaller chain with smaller stores, but it had the local groove going for it anyhow. Yes, good service and $150. Duh! You know, we'd be loyal to locals if they didn't make it so hard sometimes.

Anyhow, my trip to GC to look at how flush the bridge mounting screws were on the MIMs went well. Some new lady greeter at the front and the house music was at a volume where three or four folks were at their amps playing without blasting each other out. Only really needed the one ear plug. I did go into the guitar room to strum on some Breedloves for a bit, but there was actually louder music in that room. I quickly figured out that it was a lame excuse to hit the bathroom and the road. Some days are fun to play a bunch of stuff, some days you just don't feel like it. I like most everything I got.

I don't mind people showing off. I mind it when it's accompanied with the snooty I'm-better-than-you-are-thing. I'm not sure I've ever had that experience yet. There are a lot worse things people can do in this world then to let out a couple of loud riffs.

Oh, and speaking of GC, my wife was with me as we had to drop off one of her oils to be displayed at a book store. Picked up a few strats to investigate and was satisfied that what I did last night is at least stock. More on that in another thread. She became somewhat inquizitive today. Pointed out a couple that looked "pretty" and I pointed out a PRS Semi for $549 and said that'd be the next one. Got the "What's it called?" type of questions after that. Hmmmmm.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I walked into Sam Ash last month and there was this kid playing some AMAZING fingerstyle stuff on multiple acoustics.

He must have been 15. I listened for about 30 seconds then he stopped moved on to another guitar....then played something else...again AMAZING fingerstyle...come to find out, he's got a CD coming out LOL, so I had a decent experience with it.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I have always been one of those timid guitar shop players. I think I just don't want to embarass myself in front of some of the pro's.

Funny story: I was in a local Willis Music trying out a Blues Jr. amp. I had it kind of low and was just plucking around on it and one of the salesmen came over to me and said, "Dude, crank it up. Don't worry about if you are good or suck royally, after awhile it all becomes background noise to us. Thats the only way if you know if you are going to like the tone or not. I would rather listen to some poorly executed riffs or smoke on the water for the 10,000 time than have someone bring back an amp because they didnt like it."

I didn't get the amp but I took his advice. I am not timid in the music store anymore.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I would rather listen to some poorly executed riffs or smoke on the water for the 10,000 time than have someone bring back an amp because they didnt like it."

I didn't get the amp but I took his advice. I am not timid in the music store anymore.

That's pretty cool....and smart of him. Gotta like that mindset.

I still feel sorry for that younger fellow from last weekend who thought everyone was watching him and judgeing him. I guess I was judging too and feel rotten for it. Still, $5,000 in gear for 6 notes. $830 a note. Distinct notes even more, like $1,200 per. When you think about it, I bought a low end Taylor (214 model) before I knew an entire song. That wasn't one of my brightest moments. The strategy backfired too. I like the tone of at least two guitars better than this one. Oh well. It is opening up a little now.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

On the flip side, I was in the local guitar shop, not one of the major chains getting my Ukulele setup since it was quite right when I bought it, and there was a gentleman in there about mid-50's playing on the Takamine Jasmine (for $140 those things are just too good). He was TERRIBLE, but man he just let loose and didn't care, he was trying to learn. He was playing Under the Boardwalk with just down strums, everything buzzing and squeaking, but again...no worries from him. I gotta respect that. I couldn't do it. I'm too self conscious.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

On the flip side, I was in the local guitar shop, not one of the major chains getting my Ukulele setup since it was quite right when I bought it, and there was a gentleman in there about mid-50's playing on the Takamine Jasmine (for $140 those things are just too good). He was TERRIBLE, but man he just let loose and didn't care, he was trying to learn. He was playing Under the Boardwalk with just down strums, everything buzzing and squeaking, but again...no worries from him. I gotta respect that. I couldn't do it. I'm too self conscious.

o wow! that was YOU with the uke? I'm working on up strumming now! maybe I should switch to uke.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

:lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Funny gnease! :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3