Clear all

Guitar Tab

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@wah-wah_junkie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

All this business about banning guitar tablature is really annoying, i can't download any tabs anywhere.

Does anyone know a site where you can still find guitar tab in the powertab and other formats?

"We are all very lucky to live in a
world where there is this much music"

John Frusciante

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I voted Yes, although it's not really as black and white as the poll question indicates.

Tabs are one thing, copying sheet music and putting it on the net is another, and this is what should be banned.

Can't find tabs? This is a perfect oppertunity to work on your ear, and figuring out songs without tabs :)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Can't find tabs? This is a perfect oppertunity to work on your ear, and figuring out songs without tabs :)

That's an option that more folks need to explore. It not only is fun, but figuring things out yourself often leads you to become a better guitarist.

Between books and ear training, I don't get around to visiting TAB sites.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Sorry

I did not vote I can't play ... maybe if I understood tab I would have a opinion but right now it means nothing to me sorry ...

My teacher shows me what I need to be doing , unfortunely I can't do it YET ... :oops: :oops:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If I hadn't found several tab sites a couple of years back, I'd still be struggling with open chords.....

I used to play "Stairway to Heaven" with all open chords...just strumming along....then I found the Led Zep link on GN.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

If it were not for internet tabs I wouldn't be half the guitarist I am today. Not that I'm briliant now you understand.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

That's an option that more folks need to explore. It not only is fun, but figuring things out yourself often leads you to become a better guitarist.

Between books and ear training, I don't get around to visiting TAB sites.

Peace

That's the option i go for 80 percent i.e. figuring by ear.But then again .... i don't know how accurate or good i am.

Ear training for a completly new song especially when i am still learning the basic...there are huge chances of getting it wrong.Eg. - You may only end up playing G , C , D chords where the song also requires 7ths , maj7ths and other types too.

Normally as a beginner OR as an intermediate beginner...we mostly figure out the song by using major and minor chords which can be very irritating to a listener :oops:

So if the university students are figuring out songs on tab and publishing on the net , what the heck problem is to RIAA.

I won't vote here because i find this vote very disputable ... its all different from different prespectives.No beginner will like tabs to be shut down and pros won't mind at it.

The end result will be that the recording industry WILL have to allow tabs ...we all know what happened to p2p file sharing :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That's nonsense, that's like saying theft should be allowed because there's no real way to put a stop to it. Ofcourse tabs would stay around but why would copying tab be different from copying notation? I've heared people claim the loss of tab would stop people from learning the guitar. That's like saying we would starve if we had no microwave; truth is that mankind did fairly well without tab and microwaves and we were able to both create music and feed ourselves just fine. Would be interesting to see what would happen if tab would totally vanish. Would we start learn standard notation, would we train our ears better or would we just drop the very idea of playing covers and just play our own music? Or maybe train our ears, use that to play all melodies in our head and then write it down?

I think we'd all agree tab has allowed for millions and millions of people to play smoke on the water, right? But with the mass spreading of tab over the internet (say from mid nineties) has music really improved? And to keep this stream of consciousness flowing: why do we all adore the Hendrix', Claptons and SRVs, buy all their vintage reissue crap yet not practice the same way they did: learn other people's song note for note by using nothing but your ears? Why do we get the tabs, tune with an electric tuner and play our favourite classic rock tune perfectly, except for the bends which are all out of tune without us even remotely realising it?

As of yet I am not totally convinced tab has done that much for (guitar) music.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

That's nonsense, that's like saying theft should be allowed because there's no real way to put a stop to it.

Actually the issue isn't that simple.

So long as a tab is one person's interpretation of a performance, it's not covered by copyright.

The problem is when someone puts up a tab that is nothing more than copying from a song-book. That is a violation of copyright.

The legal question for the companies trying to stop tab trading is how to prove that a song is a straight copy and not a personal interpretation. The legal question for the people trying to run tab sites is exactly the same.

The problem is that in the US, the ability to fight a legal battle is often more important than the ability to win the legal battle. While there is good reason to suspect that many of these suits would nto be found in the favor of the RIAA companies, the reality is that they have very deep pockets to fight protracted legal battles. Most tab sites do not. There is simply no way for them to sustain a fight when there's not a clear and obvious victory to be had, and stay in business.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I voted no, but not because of reasons one might expect. I don't mind paying the $$, but three things get me.

Tab availability: How much stuff goes out of print?
Tab Accuracy: How many books are wrong?
Tab History: How many of today's recording artists would not be around if not for tbs found in various sources? Seems a little but hypocritical.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote