Clear all

Zakk Wylde?

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK... so I'm a little "over the hill" but still feel I have a decent grip on music (both past and present)... but who the heck is this Zakk guy? Black Label Society? Is he the singer also? I ask because every magazine I pick up has no less than 6 ads for gear he's endorsing. In one ad he's pitching speakers... bare speakers... then 10 pages down he's endorsing Marshall... now if Marshall doesn't use those speakers is he saying he loves Marshall's but he buys them only to rip out the crappy speakers and replace them? :? Why would Marshall want that publicity... let alone pay him for ir? Is he just an endorsement wh ore that has a good "look" the manufactureres glom onto or can he really play? I listened to some I-tunes snippets and it sounds very Ozzy with tons of distortion... but the guitar didn't really stand out as impressive or unique.

C

(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Well, the reason Zakk sounds so Ozzy like is because he played for Ozzy for many years. That's where he got his name. He then formed BLS and is the guitarist and vocalist.

As for the Marshall endorsements I can't comment. I know that he's primarily a Les Paul into Marshall kinda guy.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Funny, I picked up an old (last year) guitar magazine and read an interview with Zakk about two hours ago. In the article the interviewer asked him about using EV 100 watt speakers in his cabs. He said they were touring Europe and he blew some speakers. They stopped at a music store and the only speakers they had were these EV 100 watters. They really didn't have much choice so they put them in for a temporary replacement. But Zakk said when he heard them he was amazed. They had huge bass and didn't distort at very high volumes. So he has used them from that time on.

As far as endorsements, heh, can't blame a guy for wanting to make a living. If Gibson would throw free Les Pauls at me, I would take them. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i agree w/Wes but why does he ruin them with those stupid paint jobs?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@jailhouserock)
Trusted Member

Zakk is one of my favorite guitarist! ;)
He's known for his pinch harmonics and wide vibrato and yeah, he can sing too.
Check out his solo work 'book of shadows'. I think people who dont' listen to rock/heavy metal would like this stuff too.
During Ozzy era, before forming BLS, he's got his own band named Pride & Glory.
They play some kind of Southern Rock style.

I ahve no comment about that ads stuff. :D

Hum..

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

he can sing too

ohhhh....now that is debatable. I like the way he sounds in spoke in the wheel and stillborn...but some of his songs are butchered by his vocals. As for book of shadows...I think it's /okay/ although it's a little on the country side. His guitarin' is unquestionably good though, even if you don't like his style.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have to make a correction. The article was in the May 2005 Vintage Guitar magazine.

The EV speakers he uses are 200 watts not 100. :oops:

He uses a Marshall JCM800 head for almost all recordings.

I read the article again later and saw my mistake.

Another interesting thing in the article was Zakk said he enjoys Classic Rock personally more than Metal. He named some of his favorite artists to include Elton John. He also said as he gets older, and if his liver holds out, he is going to play mellower music.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Zakk is my personal inspiration to play. He is bare bones in your face metal. And IMO a refreshing look into the metal genre. Plus he has skill coming out of every pore in his body!

I BLEED BLACK LABEL! :D

Just thought I would say that.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Personally I always tend to doubt how much of these interviews is actually true. Do they really expect me to believe that, while touring europe, they have to stop at the nearest music store when they blow a speaker up instead of just going for the spare cab? And are they trying to tell me they cannot spend the $100 delivery cost to have whatever speaker they want delivered to their door within 24 hours? And Mr. Zakk "I love tone' Wylde did his research so well the very first random speaker he bumps into turns out to be superior to his own? Didn't distort at high volumes? Wow, now I get it. That's such a unique property, before he used speakers that would clip when the volume was put above 2 and these dont, amazing!

What's next? Breaking a string after which he used d'addario strings because they don't break "even when playing chords."?

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member

Zakk is one of my favorite guitarist! ;)
He's known for his pinch harmonics and wide vibrato and yeah, he can sing too.
Check out his solo work 'book of shadows'. I think people who dont' listen to rock/heavy metal would like this stuff too.
During Ozzy era, before forming BLS, he's got his own band named Pride & Glory.
They play some kind of Southern Rock style.

I ahve no comment about that ads stuff. :D

just got his pride and glory cd, and I love it, can't get enough Zakk and BLS now, stillborn is freaking awesome.

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I've got Ozzy's No More Tears and BLS Mafia.

I really like Zakk Wylde's sound. I love Zombie Stomp and Desire.

Also my instructor (well, when I had one) is a huge fan of Zakk's.

:D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

zakk is a great guitar player, the best ozzy has had since randy rhodes, i got to meet him at ozz fest in nashville this summer, i went with my guitar teacher, him and zakk have been freinds for years, not only is he a great guitarist, but he is one butt kicking guy, had a blast hanging out with him :twisted:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

He was also close to Dimebag Darrell (R.I.P). He thought of him as his brother.

He made a funny comment on VH1's (I call it celebtv) Least Metal Moments....I think. His nephew had been listing to a Puff Daddy :roll: song and saying how cool it was. Zakk makes a comment that it's Led Zeppelin. That had me laughing.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

As far as comercial endorsements go, I can't say much, but yeah, the whole setup sounds a bit cheesy and all, but hey, it's media, no? As far as Zakk's playing goes though, I have to say that I think it is just off-the-wall amazing. If you have some time, listen to his guitar solo on 'No More Tears'. He's not just a shredder; he puts a lot of feeling into the slow lyrical motif at the beginning...but then, is he ever a shredder! He chops are just phenominal! And, even at break-neck speeds, his solos are definitely at least on par when it comes to creativity with many of Rhodes masterpieces (though, I don't think anyone will ever really match him...his guitar playing is more enjoyable to me than just about anyone else's). Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. And oh yeah, he's not terrible, but I have to agree, he's not the best singer to ever hit the stage, though he makes it work for the most part.

-Jason

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote