Guitarnoise Member ...

Notifications
Clear all

Guitarnoise Member picks - Multi FX

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Well my vote for the money is the Behringer V-Amp 2. It's only $99 new and even cheaper used on eBay

If you don't mind being tied to your computer then I also recommend the GuitarPort by Line 6.

I also HIGHLY recommend the Behringer Virtualizer Pro if all you need is effects and not amp modeling.

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I can't recommend Zoom's 'G' range enough... I always loved the old 9001/9002, but it really wasn't good enough quality for anything more than playing around with - they've changed all that with this range.

For a basic all-round effects unit, the G2 is more than capable and around £50.

Next up from that is the one that I've got, the G2.1u, which is around £90 and basically the same unit with a few extras. An 'expression pedal' that can be used to control some of the effects (wah; volume swell; rate of vibrato, delay, etc.), A drum rhythm thingy, and a USB connection port. Install a couple of free drivers and you just plug it in, fire up Audacity and you're recording.

Next up is the G7.1ut which is more again, the main differnce being that it has a real tube in there for all the benefits that brings. This is around £160 (from memory).

Finally there's the G9.2tt which a friend of mine has just got hold of. Wow! Two tubes, two expression pedals (one of which swivels in 2 directions), a lot more pedal space and an LCD display that tells you in plain English what effect you're using instead of fitting all that info into a two-numeral display. This one's around £210, but it sounds amazing.

The 7 and the 9 both have programs that allow you to load, save, tweak and share your patches through the computer too - haven't tried that myself, but it sounds like an invaluable addition.

There are sound samples and downloadable PDF manuals on the Zoom site (here) if you want to look into them further...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

My apologies if this is a bit long. My Review of the GT-8 is LONG over due. :roll: :roll:
Oh and I love these new forum categories BTW.

If you don't want to read here's the quick and dirty (my opinion only)

Cheap: V-Amp II
Not Cheap: Boss GT-8

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I guess this subject can really come down into two categories.
1. Multi Efx
2. Amp Modelers

These days they are without a doubt interchangeable due do like features of both effects and amp modeling capability. Yet on the 'Modelers' you can't necessarily turn off the Amp Models and use just the effects, however on some of the 'Higher End' MFx units you can bypass the amp sims for effects only. Some of the MFx units, well at least the one I own, you can manage the effects chain, (ie the placement of OD vs timing effects in the loop).

I remember discussing these with a good friend of mine a while back I guess when modeling boxes first came out many people scoffed at them as they weren't all that good. Yet over the past few years with the advancement of technology and processing power going through the roof they have become much much better. My friend said that he's absolutely sold on em these days and he's sold his Fender amps, Marshall Amp.. all his amps and uses just the modeler box through a mixer through a PA(FRFR) speaker system.

For my .02 cents if your just starting out on the quest for your "Holy Tonal Bliss" I'd recommend the V-Amp. Its inexpensive, easy to use, and sounds great, even through headphones.

For the "Upper End" units my recommendation can only be the Boss GT-8.

The Amps are superb:
Preamps: 46 models + 3 custom user models
Cabinets: 8 models + 2 custom user models
Microphones: 5 models + variety of tweak parameters
Rating: Great

Cool Feature: Dual L/R, Dual Mono, Dynamic modes.
The GT8 gives you the ability to run its two separate preamps in a few different ways.

* Dual L/R (stereo): Channel A preamp on the left and Channel B preamp on the right. They are completely independent of each other. Example: Marshall 1959 4x12 on left, Tri-Amp 8x12 on the right. You can set a small delay between the two for separation (very cool).
* Dual Mono: Channel A preamp is blended with Channel B preamp. The preamps are independent of each other. You can set a small delay between the two which can add some depth and complexity to the tone (or muddy it up altogether!). Example: Fender Tweed 4x10 mixed with Vox AC30 2x12.
* Dynamic: Depending on the crossover threshold you set, the GT8 will smoothly switch from Channel A to Channel B. The preamps are independent of each other as in the other modes. Example: Playing with low volume uses Clean, Chorused tone… playing harder/louder will transition into an overdriven lead tone with delay. Note: it takes a lot of practice to get this to work in a real world scenario. Sometimes there is a little lag coming back to Channel A (the lower volume tone).

Cool Feature: 3 different Gain Types for each preamp.
You can choose Low Gain, Medium Gain (default), or High Gain for every preamp model. This essentially triples the number of basic preamp models out of the box. A cool example of when to use this: Setting a clean preamp like the TWIN to High Gain type will add a nice bite and punch to an otherwise generic clean tone. You go the other way and tame the gain on a Rectifier by setting it to Low Gain.

The Effects will Blow your Mind
Effects: 44 “categories” (over 70 effects)
Simultaneous FX: 13
FX Chain Manipulation: Yes – unparalleled flexibility.
Rating: Excellent

Cool Feature: Total FX chain manipulation.
This has to be one of the best features within the GT8, bar none: The ability to move any and every component in the FX chain wherever you want to. Would you like to have a Phaser right up front and put a Flanger right at the end after a stereo Delay (not that you should, but you could)? No problem. It's as simple as a few pushes of a button. This feature is particularly handy for placement of the Tone Modify effect and Equalizer component. Truly innovative and practical.

Cool Feature: Tone Modify.
This effect is remarkable in that it allows you to add complex EQ modifications to your tones easily. It offers several types of modification like Fat, Mild, and three different Resonator models which add a highly tweakable, rich low end to your tones. And like all of the other effects in the GT8, you can put up to two Tone Modify effects anywhere in the FX Chain you want… anywhere! It is just way cool and useful.

Cool Feature: Multiple EQs.
There are a total of four simultaneous equalizers (1 global EQ, 1 Patch parametric EQ, and 2 parametric EQs in the FX1/FX2 banks). This makes it possible to completely customize your tones at just about any level. I would only ask that they give us a little more control over the Q in the parametric EQs so as to notch/boost a little more precisely.

Comments: The GT8 is the Ultimate in effects both in sheer number as well as the ways you can manipulate the FX chain. It's truly a thing to behold. No other MFX can touch the GT8 in this area. It is without a doubt the best in class. Too much hype? Not if you get your noggin' around what this thing can do.

Assigns & Expression Pedals
External Exp. Pedal Support: Yes
Rating: Excellent

The GT8 cannot be touched by any other MFX currently on the market when it comes to assignments. Not only can you assign to the expression pedal, but you can also set up assignments for several other pedals! You won't run out of options here. It's insane how many different recipes you can come up with through assignments and the GT8. It has the typical Volume and Wah assignments. The caveat is that configuring the numerous assigns without the visual aid of a software editor ends up being a lot more tedious than it should be.

Conclusion:
If you are looking for the ability to transform your entire rig with the tap of a pedal (in many ways) then this might be the ticket.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

The Boss GT-6 is really good too. I've had mine for about 4 years. I've seen them on Ebay starting around $250 for the "Buy It Now" price - others have bids starting lower. Paid just over $300 for mine & worth every penny. Lots of useful effects, and I can't really think of any of them that sound "cheesy".

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Korg Toneworks AX10G

Harmony central reviews,
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Korg/AX10G/10/1

--------------
Product description

Korg Toneworks AX10G , a compact multi-effect processor that packs a ton of dead-on amp and effect models generated using Korg's highly acclaimed “REMS” modeling technology. Plus, it also comes with a built-in expression pedal for realtime control of your sound.

• Eleven accurately crafted guitar models generated by Korg's “REMS” technology
• 26 carefully-selected effects delivering a wide range of tonal variation
• 40 preset programs covering all musical styles, plus 40 user-editable locations
• Two models – the AX10G for guitar and the AX10B for bass
• Expression pedal for realtime control
• Knob-based interface for intuitive control, and a simple panel layout
• Tap switch for easy setting of delay time and other functions
• AMP/LINE select switch for connection to amp, mixer, MTR, or any other destination
• Built-in Korg Chromatic Auto Tuner with mute function
• Compact, portable design that fits into the pocket of your gig bag
• “Program Lock Hold” function eliminates accidental knob turning during on-stage use
• Two-way power supply: runs on battery or AC adapter

The AX10G joins the ToneWorks lineup of multi-effect units, with a wide variety of accurate amp and effect models generated using Korg's acclaimed “REMS” modeling technology. Packed with effects, this compact unit delivers an extremely wide tonal palette. And with intuitive controls and an expression pedal for realtime control, it's ideal for live performance.
The AX10G provides eleven amp and distortion models ranging from warm, fat tube amps to extreme fuzz. It also provides eleven modulation-type effects such as chorus and tremolo, plus eleven ambience effects including delay and reverb. Additional effects such as feedback, acoustic simulation, rotary speaker, and even tape echo are all reproduced with stunning realism.

Eighty programs for instant tonal variety
(40 preset / 40 user)

The AX10G lets you use up to one amp plus four effect models simultaneously, providing a huge sound variety. Forty preset programs are built-in so you can just plug in and play. They cover a wide range of styles and playing techniques, plus you can edit and save your own settings as forty user programs.

Expression pedal for limitless expressive power

The AX10G has a built-in expression pedal that lets you control a wide variety of effect parameters. You can use the pedal in familiar ways to control effects like wah and volume or to modulate the speed of a chorus or flanger. The feedback effect can be controlled by the expression pedal and a pedal pitch shifter effect lets you smoothly change the pitch up or down a maximum of one octave (there's also a special mode for stepped pitch change). The color of the LED tells you at a glance whether the effect is assigned to volume, wah (octave), modulation, or ambience.

Knob-based interface for intuitive control

The amp model, modulation effect, and ambience effect settings each have a dedicated select knob for instant access. The parameters of the amp model can also be intuitively edited using knobs, just as on the original amp. The panel layout of each effect makes the signal flow clear and easily understandable; preamp -> amp -> modulation -> ambience. The AX10G is so easy to use, you'll be able to take full advantage of their creative potential as soon as you unpack the box – without having to read the manual!

Other functions to support the guitarist

The AMP/LINE select switch lets you send the optimal signal to any destination – a guitar amp, mixer, or multi-track recording system. There's a built-in Korg Chromatic Auto Tuner with a Mute function, ideal for on-stage tuning. Since the AX10G is compact enough to fit in the pocket of your gig bag, it's easy to carry to any gig or session. With a headphone connector and 18 hours of continuous use on battery power, you can enjoy high-quality sound anywhere and anytime.

AX10G: Built-in Effects

• PRE FX(3):COMP, WAH/A.WAH, ACOUSTIC

• AMP TYPE(11):EQ, BTQ CLN, BLK212, TWD410, AC15, AC30TB, UK'70S, UK'80S, UK MDN, RECTO, FUZZ

• MODULATION(11):CHORUS, FLANGE, PHASER, TREM, ROTARY, FEEDBK, PITCH1, FILTER, U-VIBE, TALK, PITCH2

• AMBIENCE(11):SLAP, ECHO1, ECHO2, PP DLY, MULTI, AIR, ROOM, HALL, PLATE, SPRING

•NR (Noise Reduction)

#4491....

ReplyQuote