Clear all

Guitars vs. Mandolins

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I just bought a mandolin and after playing it a few days i'm starting to like it a lot more then guitar for lead. Being tuned in 5ths makes a lot more sense to me. The different distances in standard tuning make guitar an instrument that most people approach by learning complicated patterns instead of learning how to move around between strings. Its like memorizing the multiplication tables instead of learning how to do math. I already feel much more in control of my lead on the mandolin after a few days then I ever did on guitar. Cause instead of thinking about patterns im just thinking about music and its always laid out the same way so its never a challenge to find the notes your looking for.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Why not tune your guitar to fifths?

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

A brillant idea, Arjen! Sometimes we need an outside party to point out the obvious. Give it a shot, Dneck!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1: It is a good idea, Arjen -- and used very successfully by some excellent guitar players/musicians. Robert Fripp is one of these.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well I like mandolins better for other reasons too, the double strings are really fun to pick fast and I like the idea of 4 strings, theres really no need for 6 strings if your in 5ths cause each string goes further. The only thing that makes standard tuning on guitar somewhat worthwhile is that you can make chords in a bunch of ways. I think guitars are better for rhythm but Id take a mandolin for lead any day. Anyways I'll still play both but if youve never tried playing a string instrument in 5ths id suggest giving it a try, especially on a small neck where you can cover 4 notes of a scale on one string without moving your hand.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have a mandolin too. It's great for what it does but I don't think it'd replace my axe for lead work.

Steel drums are tuned in 5ths too - not a lot of people know that.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Fripp doesn't use all fifths - he tunes to CGDAEG... so there's a fourth between the 2nd & 3rd strings, and a m3 between the 1st and 2nd.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Fripp doesn't use all fifths - he tunes to CGDAEG... so there's a fourth between the 2nd & 3rd strings, and a m3 between the 1st and 2nd.

Didn't mean to imply he specifically uses 5ths tuning, but alternate tunings in general -- more than one IIRC.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Actually since I have re picked up my guitar, its really easy to just think about it and count scales, i dont really use the patterns anymore. and playing in alternate unings wouldnt even be a big deal.

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote