Skip to content
Have you bought any...

Notifications
Clear all

Have you bought any good new music recently?

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've got a 45 minute commute and a six-disc CD changer. I need new music to fill it with. Please post some ideas.

The last full albums I've bought were both prog (Ajalon's 'This Good Place' and Transatlantic's 'Whirlwind') but I'm open to almost any genre. I also made a Tower of Power compilation. Dang, those guys are tight!

But, I need new stuff. So what's new that's good listening?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hi slej, I wish I could tell you. I could not sit through the Grammy's last night. Neither could my son and wife, so I don't feel too bad.

Going back a few years, but in this decade (if one considers the year ending in "0" to be the end of the decade like I do) I've found Evanescence to be good. It's genre is....... aw, heck I dunno. Metal? Sounds a touch like Greenday at times. Also liked Franz Ferdinand's debut album. I fear it's probably 10 years old by now though.

Thanks to dogbite for turning me on to some recent Dylan. Some of it was sort of bluesy, and lots of it was with Strat, IIRC.

I know some don't like it, but the Satellite radio can be good. I hate the two big competitors merged. I actually heard repeats recently. <sigh> Lots of good and obscure stuff on a couple of their channels. Something called "Deep Tracks" was good. I don't know if they still have it after the merger.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Really, it is not new music... I bought many DVD a couple of months ago: Hendrix's Monterey, King Crimson, Marley, Neil Young, Police and Sting, Weather Report with Jaco Pastorius... Clapton at Budokan (2009 but the classic songs).

When my nephews come home they always ask what kind of music is that!

I'm getting old! LOL!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am listening to an old CD. Slim Whitman, the best of. not everyone's cup of tea.
the martians in the movie Mars Attack had their heads blow up when listening to his yodeling.

Slej. if you want some old stuff on the drive I have a few ideas.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Some of latest purchases..

Muse - Absolution
Them Crooked Vultures
Dead Weather
Pink Floyd - Meddle
The Band - Music From the Big Pink (can't believe I didn't I have this)
Neil Young's Greatest Hits
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Jimmy Herring, Joe Bonamassa

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely check into some of this stuff.

One name caught my attention though, as somehow I've not heard of him before - Jimmy Herring. I d/l'd his Lifeboat solo album from itunes and OMG, this is great stuff! And Oteil Burbridge plays bass with him - a bonus! Thanks for the recommendation Tinsmith, I'm really digging this.

Oh, dogbite, I'll put Mars Attacks on my netflix queue; haven't seen that one in a while. :lol:

Keep 'em coming, folks!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Haven't bought anything since before Christmas, but I have a superb EP from a guy called Ahmond to review (I reviewed his first CD here last year) and our very own Joe Hempel sent me a copy of his CD which you can get from CD Baby.

Flash the cash dude.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Not really "new" music, but I've been really grooving to Al Di Meola's "Consequences of Chaos" album lately.

I'm also hooked on Ron Murray and Vuelo lately.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oolwsWexSzQ

these guys are not too new, but I have always enjoyed their stuff.
we have an art exhibit that uses them as a soundtrack.

the Melvins.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. Check out Janglin' and Home as examples.
Caribou
Grizzly Bear

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

more ...
Beirut
Battles: Atlas
Midlake: Roscoe
The Eels
MGMT
JJ

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

Well I recently discovered a band called Rogue Wave and they make really good acoustic based alternative music. I have two of their albums, Asleep at Heaven's Gate and Out of the Shadow. Both are great albums and I suggest them to anyone that likes sleeper alternative music

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I bought three DVD today: Pat Metheny, George Benson and Diana Krall.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I bought three DVD today: Pat Metheny, George Benson and Diana Krall.
What an air-head I am. I've got a few of her CDs. She's a good performer. Also just reminded of is Joss Stone. Raspy voice with energy.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2