Clear all

Big Time Arrogance

25 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Sorry about the rant, but this is something every hesitant or potential open mic participant thinks about. Ridicule.

This place is a music store, pretty much guitar-centric in focus. They offer regular services and much more. Lessons, a real live stage for "events" and such and a studio for recording. They've been trying to foster a sense of community and have done a decent job.

One of the things they have every week is an open mic night. It's a small place, and has really minimal beverage and food capacity....meaning soda, coffee and snacks available. I decide to poke around on their site and found what I was looking for. Pictures of the open mic nights. No crowd shots, but does have a dozen shots of guys up on stage. I linked over to videos. Nothing of the open mic night, but one of a different event they have. It's the "Saturday Night Concert" event.

So, from a music store's web site is a link to their You Tube "page", http://www.youtube.com/amazingtonemusic#p/u , third link from the top has one of the biggest reason people like me do not got out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7X2v-Q4q00 Incredible arrogance, yes, but what I cannot understand is why they would post such a thing? Doing so indicates to me that they do think it's funny and laugh at newbies and probably intermediattes. I know it's a different event than their open mic event, but their posting of this makes me feel like they do not want me or my type. At a minimum, they think less of me. The heck with them. They're not getting another dime from me.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy I can't look at Youtube while I'm at work but I'll have to check it out later. I can kind of guess what's on the video though, but maybe I'm wrong.

If it's people making fun of newbies that are playing that won't suprise me much. It kind of happened to me at an open mic too. Which that day i would have agreed with we were pretty lame.

I wouldn't compare that to what goes on here, this is the place of Milk and Honey and never a discouraging word is said. The real world isn't quite like that. No one is there to really encourage you (not that it can't happen) they are there to play and listen to what they consider good music. I'm not defending what went on since I haven't even seen the video, and I'm defending it if it did happen(are they kids) but that's kind of the reality when you throw your self out there.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I watched the video, and I think it was meant as kind of a bad attempt at humor, but I don't think he was trying to put down people in general, but I can see where you are coming from, it makes you NOT want to be there and be that person he's singing about. I even had to post something on their channel as well, just didn't make sense to post that and advertise that.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

cnev & Joe, it's more of a making fun of newbies with an attitude.....sort of. I guess that attitude exists. I've never seen it, but I don't get out much either. My wife and I were talking about checking out the scene. Not sure I want to now.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I've been to many open mics but only played at the one near my house but they are all so different. There are a few that would frown upon a beginner getting up there and playing. I know that might be a bit prejudiced but that's the way it is.

Maybe frown isn't the right word but it's close.

The one near my house is where I got the "Not to good" remarks which didn't bother me since I wasn't up there alone and I knew going into it that it might be pretty bad. Now if I was sitting in the audience and heard what we played I would probably have made worse comments.

I guess I have a bit of fear of failure myself that's why I don't play more open mis. First I'm not a solo guy so I'm going to go up there and play any solo stuff. That means I need other people to play with and that means the other guys in the band but not having the other guitar player really kills our sound plus I don't know all the solo's for all the songs we play and they just don't cut it if you leave the solo's out.

I have worked a couple out where I play the solo's and I probably will do some in the near future. I'd really like to do Use Somebody but it doesn't sound right with just one guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I don't think that was meant to be malicious but why discourage or make anyone feel bad? I think it was a bad move on their part. Some guy that knows 3 chords and writes a lame song that goes to an open mic is ahead of me cause he is out there playing and I am not.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's awful to make fun of newbies. Good way to scare them off so they give up completely.

I remember the first time I played at an open mic, it was at my local music store. I got really cold feet when I realized that I, a rank newbie, was about to play for an audience that was nearly all professional musicians, several of which had been in world touring bands. They were the most encouraging bunch I could've encountered, and one of them lined up and took that photo of me playing in front of an old Hendrix banner so it looks like Jimi's looking over my shoulder guiding my hand. He's gone on to his reward, but I treasure the pic. Anyway, thinking about it I felt that was a mark of the real professionals, that they love music and encourage others. They don't need to prove anything or have to cover their insecurities by mocking someone who's learning. Look at the folks who run this board for some really good examples of what I'm talking about.

BTW, I know people who knew Kenny Chesney when he only knew three songs, and would eagerly play them over and over for anyone who'd listen. Some people mocked him as "Three Song Kenny." A friend of mine was the treasurer of a fraternity that had hired him to play. He actually had to tell him they were happy to have him stay around, but it was time to quit playing, and paid him. There were just a few who said "That boy's got something. He's going somewhere." He's managed to get along pretty well, I think.
:mrgreen:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Roy, I see where you're coming from but I don't think that was their intention.
You got some considerate replies in the comments section of the 'newb' song from Matt B. I'd take those at face value.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've never done it. A would be doing my first ever. What I play really matches well to an open mic environment as I understand it to be.

I have seen only one other one. It was before the ear problems and it was quite loud and electric both in instruments and atmosphere. It was put on by somebody and advertised as "Whatis Name's Open Mic", with the guy's proper name. Sure, I could sit in on some of the stuff they were playing, but not back then. It's too loud an environment for me to go to nowadays, so I've been keeping an eye out for an open mic of considerable less volume.

This place's actually does look like it fits the bill when watching the vids from those nights, but not so sure after seeing this. I'll to what I said I would do to the dude and check one out in person....without my guitar. :)

One other note. My wife has pointed out several open mics to me. I investigated and most of them ended up being full tilt Rock band kind of things. I would love it, but the price would be too steep for my head. Still nice to have that encouragement, even when she knows she would likely be driving me to and fro.

There were a couple accoustic ones on the other side of town, but by other side of town, I mean 45 minutes one way.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Roy, I see where you're coming from but I don't think that was their intention.
You got some considerate replies in the comments section of the 'newb' song from Matt B. I'd take those at face value.
:)
I'll back up what I said, being a man of my word, and go check one or two of them out.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Open mics aren't big in Ecuador, but I've done one.

It doesn't hurt to take your own crowd- quite a few friends went with me.

And then, it doesn't hurt to do it in a place where they'll have had a few drinks...

Ande

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Ah Roy it's nothing like I thought it would be. That's just a goof song maybe true but just a goof. If that was me he was talking about I wouldn't have a problem with that it's pretty light hearted but I was expecting something alot worse.

I wouldn't let that song keep you from playing there if that's what you want to do.

JoeHempel - I have a question and you might know since your a video guy. I checked out some videos of people playing and I noticed the same thing on the videos that I see on my local public access channel when someone records a band, the muic and the video is always off there always seems to be a delay in what you see and what you hear. Do you know why that happens?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ah Roy it's nothing like I thought it would be. That's just a goof song maybe true but just a goof. If that was me he was talking about I wouldn't have a problem with that it's pretty light hearted but I was expecting something alot worse.

I wouldn't let that song keep you from playing there if that's what you want to do.

I decided to snoop into a session sometime down the road a bit, like after this stupid ice melts and goes away. Who knows. I very much cannot go in there without thinking of this. I do think it's not aimed at me, but aimed at someone who shares a similar skillset and uses that skillset as an insult. It's like saying to two fellows wearing the same thing, "You're a sub-human life form for wearing that, and well, we'll let you slide." Kind of hard not to feel a bit of a pinch, yanno?

Then again, maybe I'm too touchy. I'm really laid back most of the time, but when something bugs me, it bugs me in a big way.

But.... I gots bigger fish to fry. Roads have not cleared fully yet and they're talking frozen rain in the morning, and then some sort of wintery mixed yet to be determined for Thursday and Friday. Did someone pick up Raleigh and plop it into southern Jersey or something??? Urgg! Not sure what I'm mad at. I need to go nowhere. Wife got into work for a few hours today, but my son had school gt called off. Sometime very soon they're going to pick off a couple of Saturdays or Memorial Day again as snow makeup days.

Roy

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I used to love it when it snowed or iced up when I was in Charlotte, the whole city just stops. Nobody would really attempt to drive around, unfortunately up north it's not like that at all.

You might be a bit sensitive to this though. I didn't really listen to the lyrics that closely but it sounded like the same type of lame 3 chord songs he was making fun of.

Anway I wouldn't rush out there if you're not comfortable there's no rule that says you have to go out and play open mics.

How about asking your jam buddy to come down and do a couple songs together. You won't feel as pressured if there is someone else with you.

Now get out there and break a leg!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

That's awful to make fun of newbies. Good way to scare them off so they give up completely.

Some people just suck; they aren't happy unless they bring other people down to bolster themselves. I know from experience, having been the object of it. It hurts and is discouraging.
I remember the first time I played at an open mic, it was at my local music store. I got really cold feet when I realized that I, a rank newbie, was about to play for an audience that was nearly all professional musicians, several of which had been in world touring bands. They were the most encouraging bunch I could've encountered, and one of them lined up and took that photo of me playing in front of an old Hendrix banner so it looks like Jimi's looking over my shoulder guiding my hand. He's gone on to his reward, but I treasure the pic. Anyway, thinking about it I felt that was a mark of the real professionals, that they love music and encourage others. They don't need to prove anything or have to cover their insecurities by mocking someone who's learning. Look at the folks who run this board for some really good examples of what I'm talking about.

There you have it.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2