Skip to content
Have you seen the n...

Notifications
Clear all

Have you seen the new Gibson SG Zoot Suit Guitar?

28 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I am all about new concepts, interesting looking designs, etc., but to me this thing is downright UGLY!!! I don't care what color you paint it - still ugly. You can usually make any guitar look good w/ a natural wood-grain finish, but even that one is horrible. $1200.00? You've got to be kidding me. :shock:

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Looks like a big sticky lolly like you get at the funfair

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Took the words right out of my mouth.
That guitar looks tasty, but not in the I want to own it sense. Maybe they were trying to throwback to some psychadelic designs of the 60's in remembering Woodstock?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

Ok, I will be the (first?) one to admit it... I really like that guitar. I definitely would not buy it over an SG with nice cherry finish... but... I do like it.

But... I like unique guitars. If the color is the main issue, rahter than the design... what about the other Zoot models? I like the black&white one alot too.

And, an ebony fretboard! I love ebony fretboards! My only complaint... a really cool 12th fret inlay/logo would have been nice.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Maybe they were trying to throwback to some psychadelic designs of the 60's in remembering Woodstock?

I figured it was a Woodstock throwback, but I think they could have done a waaay better design than this. Maybe even a tie-died look or something. It will be interesting to see how it sells. I sure hope they didn't make too many of them - they might have to send them back, sand them down & refinish!

lol, I was trying to think of where I saw that! :lol:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea I kinda of like it too, not sure if I like it enough to buy one but it's different. I like the lollipop look, reminds me of the game Candyland and I loved that game when I was little.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

It will be interesting to see how it sells. I sure hope they didn't make too many of them - they might have to send them back, sand them down & refinish!

I don't think that any refinishing other than painting over it completely is possible. From what I understand these are made from bent strips of birch that are laminated to form the guitar and various layers of the birch are dyed beforehand so the colour is deeply embedded in the wood. These were discussed on the Seymour Duncan site a a week or so ago and many of those commenting didn't like them either.

I kind of like the natural and grey models (the top two in the post by lue42. Maybe if they don't sell so well they might be available for a good discount later.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

hmmm. a number of my teen pals (wayyyy back, not now) had "plywood" Asian guitars. there is a resemblance.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Interesting. I remember real Zoot Suits circa 1943 - 45, the gangs, arrogance & style, or attitude and flamboyance, the arrests, the guys getting beat up by returning soldiers, the wrath or the cops and authorities, all from my Dad's stories.

Nope, I don't like the guitar, though I like SG's, and enjoy weird/wild colors. The one good thing to me = sensible basic controls! Wow they're nice, compared to the complicated 4-cluster, and poorly positioned toggle, and you get a volume that you can curl your pinky on. That is impressive to me, at least. 8) :!:

So, about those controls, anybody else think that simplicity and positioning makes sense? Does the Zoot Suit rock?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@jackson-c)

I will die if I don't get this soon.

Gibson doesn't seem to be selling this in Australia.

Left Handed Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

since i can't say what i -really- think it looks like, i'll just say it's incredibly ugly.

in addition to the thing i can't say, it also looks like it was designed by a clown on something else i can't say.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Jason but that's the beauty of it..it's so ugly you gotta love it

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i really don't

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I like the ones in lue42's post, especially the first one in that post. I'd play that. But one of my guitars has pussy prints all over it, so who am I to judge...

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

I gotta say....I WANT one. Preferably the really colorful one. But they all look coooooool.

I've always liked the sound of an SG- lotta edge. But I've never cared for the look.

I guess I'm into weird looking guitars. Frankly I wanna get one of those and wear a zoot suit when I play it. :twisted: :twisted: Loud and like Angus.

:oops:

Ande

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2