Notifications
Clear all

Help with solos, innovation, and the like

15 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@cyrusocn)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I'm kinda new here so be nice :) Ive actually read articles from here for like a year now and decided to join the "community". Ok so, here's my main reason for joining:
I play in a punk rock band called Occupied Nation (shameless plug? sure, http://www.myspace.com/occupiednation . Free downloads of our demos!).
Just this week I decided to start working on what will be our first full length album (hopefully). I heard that most bands write the main lyrical, melodical, and musical parts of their entire albums within 2 weeks. So, my first personal goal in life is to have this album finished in like 4 weeks or so, if not less.
So really my question is, why is there no help for innovative punk rockers like myself? Has anyone here ever listened to Leftover Crack, Choking Victim, Rancid of the like? They are all much more than 3 chord punk and I basically just want little tips or whatever on being more like them.
A big problem I encounter is solo writing. I want them to add to the song but to often they just don't...I dunno, fit. They are in the right key and all but they don't sound good with the song. Any pointers?
Plus would anyone be interested in going to/being a part of a more punk rock based guitar player forum cuz I am seriously thinking of starting one to go along with a kick arse site or something.

Ok thanks everyone,
Cya,
Cyrus

You may find my appearance to be foolish,
But it is you who plays the fool,
For although I am only a student of the victim,
I have many many styles,
Try my choking style,
Hoo-ah!
-In Hell, Choking Victim

(@antny)
Trusted Member

personally for me I find the same thing happening only i know why and am starting to fix it. learning guitar through the blues, most licks and soloiing i do are bluesy. unless you are bob mould or mike ness, it is hard to make that work and still sound good. Pay more attention to the devices punkrock players use in soloing. They rely heavily on melodies and often time stick very close to vocal lines. lots of octaves, droning strings and the occaisional string bend. notice how little most punk groups use bending unless they are unison bends. Just my opinion I could be sounding like an idiot to someone who knows better but it is just what I have observed.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Too restrictive, IMO.

We'll happily talk about punk here.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@cyrusocn)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the insight, I'll keep it all in mind. Oh and why was it moved? This isn't like a punk discussion message, it's a message on how to solo and I'm asking all guitarists. This isnt like an opinion or anything, and I'll delete the poll if that'll put it back in the actual discussion board. You wouldnt move a jazz question to an opinion section, would you? C'mon now, be fair.
Thanks again to the person that actually cared to reply!
Thanks,
Cyrus

I have many many styles,
Try my choking style,
Hoo-ah!
-In Hell, Choking Victim

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hi,
I moved it because the bulk of the post concerned the poll it opens with and opinions on innovative punk rockers.
Why don't you post the question about soloing separately? There are really several threads in your post. And, yes, I would move a post that opened with a poll on whether people would like a jazz forum. If you post the soloing question separately up in the players forum, people can focus on that.
:wink:

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@cyrusocn)
Topic starter  

Oh ok thanks man. Sorry if I was a little snappy, had a real bad day yesterday, you know how it is?
Thanks again everyone,
Cyrus

PS Yeah I will start a new topic, you can scrap this on if you want.

I have many many styles,
Try my choking style,
Hoo-ah!
-In Hell, Choking Victim

ReplyQuote
(@pamparius)
Estimable Member

Hey!
I'm a wannabe punkrocker. Don't have the necessary skills yet, but I've just started playing... :roll:

Anyhow, I'm a huge punkrock fan, millencolin, randy, turbonegro(deathpunk), mxpx, blink, rancid, pennywise, dropkick murphy, reel big fish, and so on are all my favourites!

It would be great with a forum where punkrockerguitarists could come together and share info! I sure as hell now I'll be a regular user.

Good luck with your album. I hope I'll find it in my local recordshop someday!

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Cyrus, don't fear 3 chord songs. The Who has PLENTY of them, and they all rock.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rush2112)
Trusted Member

I'm a wannabe punkrocker. Don't have the necessary skills yet, but I've just started playing...

I thought the whole idea behind punk rock was giving record deals to people who can't play their instruments and know nothing about songwriting.

- The Antipunk

"You know, it eez possible to be too attractive." - Pepe le Pew

"Be excellent to each other, and party on dudes." - Bill and Ted

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I thought the whole idea behind punk rock was giving record deals to people who can't play their instruments and know nothing about songwriting.
I hope you didn't spend to much time thinking about what your response would be because...................YOUR WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Music is music. If you don't like it.......fine......but don't mock it just because YOU don't like it.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Spoken like a true civil rights activist.

TRACKER FOR PRESIDENT.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Your band sounds great! nothin wrong with punk rock :twisted: :twisted: most blues songs have 3 chords also :lol: welcom to GN--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@cyrusocn)
Topic starter  

Hey thanks everyone...except that Anti-Punk guy, what a loser. I'm the Anti-Type of Music. Look at me be, well nothing really, cuz if you are going to pick a genre of people to mess with and have them care, punk is def. not the genre to do it do. So good luck with that.
Hey to the guy who's an up and coming punker, keep on trying man its real easy, lol. Basically its the attitude that carries the music. However, despite what Mr. Anti-Punk said, there are a lot of punk bands with tons of skill. Leftover Crack, Choking Victim, No-Cash, and Stockyard Stoics are all good ones to check out. Oh and just dont listen to good charlotte or simple plan, they suck the fun out of everything!
So hey maybe I'll start that forum sometime soon...i have to find a provider that doesnt censor posts cuz you cant have a censored punk bulletin board, now can you?
Oh yeah! Mad props to the guy that actually checked out my band. Thanks a ton man.
And about 3 chord songs, lol, i love 'em. Our Ep we're putting out soon is basically all 3 chord, were as the full length were working on writing is more like 8 to 12 chord. Yay for bridges!
Thanks a bunch everyone!
Cyrus

I have many many styles,
Try my choking style,
Hoo-ah!
-In Hell, Choking Victim

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Nothing at all wrong with 3 chords -- where would the blues and rock be without the three chord form?

I've been around too long. I have to admit when I think of Punk, I still think of the Sex Pistols and the Clash. Especially the Clash. Great stuff.

And I may actually have to pick up Green Day's American Idiot -- I really like the bits of it I've heard on the radio.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I love the dudes (cyrus) attitude.. and my only knowledge of punk was WAY back in high school when we listened to ALOT of Black Flag and The Vandels. God I loved the Vandels.

Anyways, on the thought of creating your own website and forum. Ya know there are tons of great websites that were never created out of fear that no one would use them. If you have an interest in a subject then there is a good bet that there are MANY people that share the interest.

There are lots of great providers that offer space for very cheap. I think my site cost me like $100 a year and they registered my domain name. You can look into Content Management Systems as a way of operating your site and forum. In this way you wont have to look for one that will allow profain language because it is up to you. It takes some time to learn how to install and operate/configure them.. but it might be a good way to go. Some of them are Open Source so it might not even cost you alot of money.

The hardest part is getting people to the site once you have it up and running but posting the link to your site in forums or using the link in your signatute in forums that you are a member of, is a good way to get people directed to it. If it is not a business, I think Yahoo will let you advertise it for free there. Google should pick up on it just by the linking you are doing in the signature I spoke of before. Thats probably the quickest and easiest way to get listed in Google. Not to mention most webspace providers offer a way to get yourself linked with many of the more no named search engine places.

If you have alot of great information to offer people then they will come and stay with you. Just make sure that your information changes enough to keep them coming back. You'll do great.

Good luck on your site.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote