Clear all

Satriani!

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@undercat)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Whee! Just got home from seeing Joe Satriani!

I have to say, videos don't quite do him justice: there's something about seeing someone move their hands that fast in real life... pretty wild. And the level of control in unreal, doing all sorts of hammered/pulled licks over 6 strings, and not even using his picking hand to mute... it's crazy.

What's scary is that I know if he had that level of control in concert, how fast must his max be?

Suprised everyone there by playing an old jazzy tune: "Sleepwalk". I recognized the melody, but I had never known the name of it before. He got into a little of the weird stuff: some Indian sounding music, some stuff on a 7 string, etc, but mostly he was the rocking Satch we all know and love.

Good times.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Man Id love to see Satriani play someday! Sounds like you had a pretty close up veiw? Did he do cool#9? Cos that has this absolutly insane bit in it, he sorta brings his picking hand over to dampen the strings by the nut and without picking a note (obviously cos his hand is on the neck) he runs down the neck with these arpeggios, but he does it insanely fast.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Hue also caught Satch a couple days ago. His comments are down in Opinions and Polls. Here's a link: Hue & Satch

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

It goes beyond being fast and technical though. Joe Satriani again and again impresses me with his taste, sense of timing and melody. I saw him live, he did a brilliant improvised intro to cool #9 jamming for a couple of minutes, playing the blues in his own way. I saw him with g3 (vai, satriani, fripp) fripp was the only person who I wasn't that impressed with.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

He has an incredible ability to express harmonic progressions which just don't seem to belong but lo and behold they sound way cool!

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

He has an incredible ability to express harmonic progressions which just don't seem to belong but lo and behold they sound way cool!

Who? Robert Fripp? It was just very weird, he had his guitar attached to a synth and made weird noises for 30 mins or so.

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote