Clear all

How do you tote?

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I am on a quest of sorts to find the bestest way to haul my gear from home to a gig. Not so much guitars and amps, but the miscellaneous stuff.

Right now, I have a good sized gym bag for cords, mikes, power strips, duct tape, music stand, and towels. For the small stuff, I got a Plano fishing tackle box. The compartments are great for picks, small tools, slides, capos, etc. And the bottom is good for strings and small electronics.

What's YOUR preferred means of carrying your stuff?

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

My cables and tuner and spare batteries all fit in the pockets of my bass case, so that's convenient enough.

If I'm also playing acoustic guitar at church, then the DI box, capo, and more cables get put in the pockets of that case.

Neither case is a hard shell, but they are not soft gig bags either - I guess they are "rigid foam" with a nylon shell and zipper pockets; the bass case also has internal storage compartments. Really functional.

The stand(s) I carry separately.

Edit: this is the bass case I've got:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Road-Runner-Polyfoam-Bass-Guitar-Case-?sku=541149

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

A medium Pelican cases filled with pluck foam for anything breakable. A big gym bag for everything else.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hard case with spare strings, capo, picks, nail varnish (in case of breakages) and nail file in the spaces inside.

Gym bag for cables, music stand, pedals, footstool etc..

Girlfriend to lug it all. After all, I'm an artist and I've got to play... I do lug my main classical myself though.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@threegtrz)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Alan......

What does the nail varnish fix? That's a new one to me

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Girlfriend to lug it all. After all, I'm an artist and I've got to play... I do lug my main classical myself though.

How do we find a girlfriend then who agrees to lug it for us ? :lol: j/k

For me, I always take my guitar myself. That's the most I have at present.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Rolling carry on bag for cables, spare strings, slides, batteries and the 2 pedals I use. I offer my Older students a free lesson or 2 for toting my stuff when I play out, because as Alan pointed out, We Are ARTISTES :lol:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Station wagon... I bring everything!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I can actually fit almost all of the stuff I use regularly into the back of my amp... Probably a risk considering it's a tube amp...Hmm, maybe I should rethink this.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

A 2004 Scion XA.

Guitars in cases, everything else in a plastic storage bin that I enheireted from my dad (thank, dad!). I think he got it at K-Mart. It's big enough to carry everything, but not to big that I can't carry when full.

Since we're on the subject, does any one here have experience/suggestions for carrying guitars and equipment on trans'atlantic flights?

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hey Alan......

What does the nail varnish fix? That's a new one to me

Clear nail varnish. In case I break a nail.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Since we're on the subject, does any one here have experience/suggestions for carrying guitars and equipment on trans'atlantic flights?

There's a thread around here somewhere that goes into detail, but here is a summary.

- Most people don't bring their "special" guitars unless they can get them on the plane with them. They get travel guitars, or Strat '51s 8)
- "Gate Checking" guitars works well for domestic US flights, not sure about international. Hard cases are a must.
- Amps are heavy and bulky, so it's best if you can leave them home, and borrow from a friend, or rent if you must.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, just had to do that. :D

I have several large heavy duty bags I carry gear in. One has all my PA cables, another has mic cables and mics, another is full of CD's and a player I use at gigs. Similar to this but larger and more durable.

Gear Bag

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I believe that would be "toke", Wes. At least, that's what I'm told. Not that I would know for sure or anything.

ReplyQuote