Notifications
Clear all

how socially acceptable in music is it to steal a line

49 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

there was something about them everyone liked. I never could put my finger on it......

:mrgreen:

I'm sure that back then we all fancied having a try though...

Back to stealing lines...

Not long ago I saw a musician on a music quiz show talking about a successful song that he'd written years ago that had the same name as one of George Harrison's songs. When he eventually met George, he was a bit embarrassed about it and apologised for nicking the title. Apparently George said "Don't worry about it man, I pinched it off somebody else anyway...."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

After the lawsuits in the 90s made it clear (espescially in the Urban scene) that sampling was not something that you'd get away with 'taking lines'/music' became a massive wave of money for artists who were no longer being played. Junky XL did a cover of Presley's "Fever' which became a huge success after being used for a car commercial. The result? Junky XL got the credit for the remix, the original songwriter (now well in his eighties) got a big bag of cash dropped on his porch and Elvis is back in contemporary art. You can't really cross the line, I'm pretty sure that 'Alabama' kid pays most of the cash to somebody else.

As for lyrics: I don't take lines directly but I often listen to lyrics I like and try to build it in my head and re-describe it. Nobody will be able to tell and it's often a good starting point.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

It ain't right. No way, no how. I'd have another house somewhere if I wasn't robbed time and time again over the past 30 years. Sure, we ALL stand on someone's shoulders for one thing or another...but credit is due, at the very least...and so are royalties, for that matter. How unjust to "be a starving musician" for soooooo long...with self-denial of all sorts of stuff so you can get ahead...only to be robbed of the fruits of your LABOR.

Nah...copyright thieves should be skinned alive by The Predator...then crusified by Pilate...after which they are eaten by Mr Leckter...then shat out by Big Fat Bastard.

That's my slant on "socially acceptable stealing" of someone ELSE's lines!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Another example: Sean Kingston - Beautiful girl and Ben E King - Stand by me. The YouTube recording is very poor but the bass is practically the same in both songs.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Paul Weller is one of the best songwriters ever , and The Jam is still revered in UK as one of the best bands that appeared in the punk/new wave era. However they practically stole the bass line from The Beatles' `Taxman' in the song 'Start'.
check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJP8gWLc4IE

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've mentioned that before - and also the fact that PW stole the riff from ELO's "10538 Overture" for Changing Man.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I've mentioned that before - and also the fact that PW stole the riff from ELO's "10538 Overture" for Changing Man.

upps..that happens to me because I was too lazy to read the whole three pages of this subject ;) ....but don't forget that The Jam's classic 'Town Called Malice' opening is also a copy/paste of 'You can't hurry Love' (the Supremes one).
That Weller had guts!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That Weller had guts!

Yeah, but whose?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

the good ones borrow. the great ones steal.

i came up with that myself. :wink:

might've came up with that yourself,
but i believe the actual line is Good artists copy. Great artists steal.

that would actually be picasso paraphrasing t.s. elliot "immature poets borrow. mature poets steal"

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Dalron, what are the seven plots?

Sorry about the late reply!
RAGS TO RICHES Story of an ordinary person who finds a second, more exceptional, self within.

Examples include Cinderella, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, Jane Eyre and Hollywood films such as The Gold Rush and My Fair Lady

THE QUEST A long, hazardous journey to reach a priceless goal far away.

Examples of this include The Odyssey, Jason and the Golden Fleece, King Solomon's Mines, Around The World in Eighty Days and Raiders of the Lost Ark

VOYAGE AND RETURN Story in which some event — a fall, crash, shipwreck — propels the hero or heroine out of their familiar surroundings into a disconcerting and abnormal world. Examples include Alice in Wonderland, Robinson Crusoe, The Ancient Mariner, The Time Machine

COMEDY Not just a general term, but an identifiable form of plot which follows its own rules.

Examples include Tom Jones, the novels of Jane Austen, The Importance of Being Earnest, Fawlty Towers, Some Like It Hot

TRAGEDY Is an archetypal plot, with a five-stage structure culminating in destruction and death. The main character is overcome by a desire for power/passion, which destroys them or they become monstrous. Examples include Macbeth, Doctor Faustus, Lolita, and King Lear

REBIRTH Someone falls under a dark power or a spell that traps him or her in a state of living death. An miraculous act of redemption takes place and the victim is released and brought into the light. Examples include Sleeping Beauty, A Christmas Carol, The Sound of Music

OVERCOMING THE MONSTER A hero or heroine confronts a monster, defeats it against all odds and wins treasure or a loved one's hand. Examples include David and Goliath, Nicholas Nickleby, Jack and the Beanstalk, Dracula, James Bond stories, Jaws

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@megalomaniac)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

the good ones borrow. the great ones steal.

i came up with that myself. :wink:

might've came up with that yourself,
but i believe the actual line is Good artists copy. Great artists steal.

that would actually be picasso paraphrasing t.s. elliot "immature poets borrow. mature poets steal"

well you've got me tongue tied at that
it's a small world where history repeats
even if we are the one's repeating eachother

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'd bet t.s. eliot was paraphrasing someone earlier.

Like I said before, I don't believe anyone today can come up with a new riff that anyone would listen to. They've all been done before. You may think it's new. I've "invented" several that I've later recognized as classics. There's nothing new under the sun, musically.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

And what about the Kid Rock song that has same guitar riff as Sweet Home Alabama?

The same solo, and he's singing: "Singing Sweet Home Alabama all summer long" :roll:

The song is playing a lot in Montreal on the rock station and I'm not very OK with that..

He took a song with a HUGE success, took part from it and put it in a new song, that sound very similar to the original one, but it's not consider as a remake..
They play that tune a lot on country and rock radio. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

If its a famous line, like one everyone know, then you can't get away with it. But if you take a line and add your own finess to it, then it kinda becomes yours, but you still have to give credit where credit is due

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4