Notifications
Clear all

Is this a good price?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@razedstylez)
Topic starter  

I found this Austin Bazaar 39 Inch Electric Guitar with Carrying bag and accessories online for $89.95
and a Rogue Rocketeer HSS Electric Guitar Value Pack $100
I was wondering if these are a good guitar for a beginner? Here are the links if you want to see it yourself :|
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0008IT5AK
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Rocketeer-HSS-Electric-Guitar-Value-Pack?sku=582903

Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

"39 inch" is an odd way to describe a guitar, so it's hard to tell what you're really getting if you buy it. Most often we compare the length of the string from the nut (by the tuning keys) to the bridge (on the body of the guitar). We refer to that as "scale length." I never heard of "Austin Bazaar." "Rogue" is a house brand of Musician's Friend. The Rogue at least tells you what the scale length is (25.5 inches, so we know it's an adult-sized guitar). I owned a Rogue myself for a while, a strat copy, and it was a pretty nice little guitar overall.

(Rogue makes acoustic guitars too, you know. Hint, hint. :lol: )

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@razedstylez)
Topic starter  

"39 inch" is an odd way to describe a guitar, so it's hard to tell what you're really getting if you buy it. Most often we compare the length of the string from the nut (by the tuning keys) to the bridge (on the body of the guitar). We refer to that as "scale length." I never heard of "Austin Bazaar." "Rogue" is a house brand of Musician's Friend. The Rogue at least tells you what the scale length is (25.5 inches, so we know it's an adult-sized guitar). I owned a Rogue myself for a while, a strat copy, and it was a pretty nice little guitar overall.

(Rogue makes acoustic guitars too, you know. Hint, hint. :lol: )
Yeah im kinda new to this guitar thing so i have no clue :P

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

...Oh, yeah, you were asking about price. The Rogue pack might be a good deal, if you don't expect too much from the amp. You will NOT be able to play with a drummer/bass player with that amp, guaranteed. As a practice amp, it might be OK. Hard to tell.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@razedstylez)
Topic starter  

Oh so its good then right? I mean i don't know anything about guitars or w.e but is it worth it o_O

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

In regards to the Austin Bazaar: Without being able to play the guitar before buying it, one never knows how good it's going to be. Especially when it comes to a "bargain priced" guitar. And I'm willing to bet that few (if any) of the Guitar Noise readers have ever tried out this particular make and model, so all we can give you are educated guesses at best.

On the plus side, it gets good reviews. The flip side of that is that all of the reviews come from people who claim to never have played guitar before, so it's very likely that they don't know the difference between good and not-so-good guitars. But that doesn't mean it won't be good for you.

Chances are you may have to take it to a music store at some point and pay to have it looked over and possibly set up by a guitar technician. That's going to cost you between $40 and $75, depending on where you live and what needs to be done to it.

But for a first guitar, just to get you learning the basics and started in on playing, it will probably be fine. Make certain you understand their return policy (if they have one) before you buy, though. At some point you'll either look at it as a $90 investment in your guitar education or $90 you could have saved in order to buy a better guitar. Most of us have done both at one point or another in our playing.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Between those two I will suggest for Rogue because:

1. It is MF's house brand.
2. They have an excellent return policy (or so I have heard from people on this forum).

Good Luck for your guitar!

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

+1 for Rogue. I've got a couple of their instruments I'm happy with. (Both are resonator guitars.) They're low end, but I'd expect them to be serviceable. MF is a good company to deal with.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote